Who is your roster “dark horse”?

With mini-camp approaching, which “long-shot to make the roster” player are you predicting to be on the active roster week 1? Don’t just drop a name but give your rationale. 

Given most late round picks don’t make the roster, I’m going with Jaquan Johnson (S). Although the Bills have depth at safety, Johnson is a typical Beane “high ceiling” draft pick. I think Johnson makes the roster primarily as a Special Teams contributor but moves up the depth chart at safety as the season wears on.

EdW

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

I’ll say Daryl Johnson. 7th round EDGE. After Hughes Murphy and Lawson depth is up for grabs. A long athletic prospect who ill say gives Yarbrough and Harold a run for their money. 

I agree with you for the same reasons.  From what I have been able to read about him, he is very quick off the ball and will be more of a speed rusher than the other guys on the roster.

1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

David Sills V, I'm not sure how good our receiving corps are so I think he has a good shot if he shows up in the preseason, he seems to have the intangibles and after listening to him on OBL sounds like a good kid and someone I'm rooting for.

Good call!  He reminds me a little of Jordy Nelson.  You aren't sure why he keeps getting open, but he does.  He also, based upon his college career, finds a way to get into the endzone.  

1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

David Sills V, I'm not sure how good our receiving corps are so I think he has a good shot if he shows up in the preseason, he seems to have the intangibles and after listening to him on OBL sounds like a good kid and someone I'm rooting for.

Yep, I came to say Sills. I think he beats out Duke & goes on to surprise this season.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Jaquan Johnson makes the roster relatively comfortably. We don't have much depth at his spot, Siran Neal is being looked at as a slot corner which might remove a barrier and Johnson was a special teams star in college. Unless he totally sucks in camp as a safety he is on the 53. 

My dark horse was Tyrel Dodson. His off field issues make him an even darker horse now I suspect but on pure on field I expected him to be among our 6 best linebackers. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think Christian Wade (the British rugby player) will get put on the practice squad this year but would not be shocked if he is active at some point in 2019 or 2020, especially as a STer or gadget guy.

Edited by Flip Johnson
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

I think Christian Wade (the British rugby player) will get put on the practice squad this year but would not be shocked if he is active at some point in 2019 or 2020, especially as a STer or gadget guy.

If Wade is assigned to the practice squad, he won't be eligible to be activated in 2019 (as per the international pathway program rules).  Given how much he needs to learn about NFL football, he is likely to remain on the practice squad this year, but his physical talents may land him on the roster in 2020.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Jaquan Johnson makes the roster relatively comfortably. We don't have much depth at his spot, Siran Neal is being looked at as a slot corner which might remove a barrier and Johnson was a special teams star in college. Unless he totally sucks in camp as a safety he is on the 53. 

My dark horse was Tyrel Dodson. His off field issues make him an even darker horse now I suspect but on pure on field I expected him to be among our 6 best linebackers. 

I feel the same about Dodson... I was super excited when we got him. Him and Dawson Knox were the 2 guys i was super excited about other than the obvious Ed Oliver pick...