Fouts or Rivers? Young or Montana?

49 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

This is one of the craziest/best ever runs by a QB in NFL history--but I'm still picking Montana overall as the best franchise QB for them:

Yup, and I remember it vividly as I watched that live with my Dad.  

You wont get any argument from me or anyone else by picking Montana over Young in this discussion, I mean he is and always will be in the GOAT conversation.  He is also the face of that franchises entire history.  

But I will say this, had Young been the QB of the same 49er teams that Montana was, he would have also easily have been 4-0 in the same SB's and probably has an even better statistical career.  He was that good and more athletic as you can see in this video.  

This is why when I make my top 5 of all time QB list, Steve Young is always in there and I have him ahead of guys like Peyton Manning, Elway, etc.  My list as of right now is:

1.  Brady - Not only is his play elite, but when you look at what he has had to work with in terms of talent compared to someone like Montana, its insane what he has accomplished.  

2.  Montana - Its a close race here, but the massive talent gap between Brady and Montana's supporting cast is why I can't put him at the top anymore over Brady.

3.  Unitas - This is more honorary for me as I didn't watch him play, but just about everyone who has always has him here, so he clearly deserves it. 

4.  Young - As talented as anyone on this list.

At 5, its quite debatable for me as I can see cases for guys like (in no particular order) Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Elway, or Marino.  And honestly, be hard to argue against any of them being the 5th guy to round out the top 5.  

50 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yup, and I remember it vividly as I watched that live with my Dad.  

You wont get any argument from me or anyone else by picking Montana over Young in this discussion, I mean he is and always will be in the GOAT conversation.  He is also the face of that franchises entire history.  

But I will say this, had Young been the QB of the same 49er teams that Montana was, he would have also easily have been 4-0 in the same SB's and probably has an even better statistical career.  He was that good and more athletic as you can see in this video.  

This is why when I make my top 5 of all time QB list, Steve Young is always in there and I have him ahead of guys like Peyton Manning, Elway, etc.  My list as of right now is:

1.  Brady - Not only is his play elite, but when you look at what he has had to work with in terms of talent compared to someone like Montana, its insane what he has accomplished.  

2.  Montana - Its a close race here, but the massive talent gap between Brady and Montana's supporting cast is why I can't put him at the top anymore over Brady.

3.  Unitas - This is more honorary for me as I didn't watch him play, but just about everyone who has always has him here, so he clearly deserves it. 

4.  Young - As talented as anyone on this list.

At 5, its quite debatable for me as I can see cases for guys like (in no particular order) Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Elway, or Marino.  And honestly, be hard to argue against any of them being the 5th guy to round out the top 5.  

If a healthy Montana was still the QB on those Steve Young-led 49ers teams after he left, odds are he would have more than 1 additional ring. It’s comparing a great regular-season QB to $$$.

Young was fantastic but I'd still go with Montana. I used to be adamant that he was better than Brady, when you took into account changes in rules etc. but now I'm not so sure, because there's no denying Brady's excellence, even if I do hate him.

Two things that I do put in Montana's favor over Brady:

1. Brady has never torched a team in the SB, as in completely dominated them start to finish. Montana did. He dismantled the Broncos defense (which was number 1 in the NFL that year I believe) from start to finish.

2. And this one is just my own subjective opinion, if I had a gun to my head and had to pick one QB from history to take my team down the field for a winning TD in the final 2 minutes, I'd choose Montana. Brady would be second, but Joe Cool would still be my absolute number one. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not old enough to have seen Dan Fouts play. 

So no opinion on the Chargers side.

Joe Montana gets the vote over Steve Young, and it isn't really close.

The 49ers had both QBs for years, and never considered going with Young until Montana was past his prime.

Once Young stepped in, he was fantastic... but he never reached the levels of his predecessor.

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I'm not old enough to have seen Dan Fouts play. 

So no opinion on the Chargers side.

Joe Montana gets the vote over Steve Young, and it isn't really close.

The 49ers had both QBs for years, and never considered going with Young until Montana was past his prime.

Once Young stepped in, he was fantastic... but he never reached the levels of his predecessor.

...LOL...had tickets and tripped planned to ND in 1976 for Pitt vs ND......Montana ended up on IR and got to watch Slager led Domers get smoked by Dorsett and Pitt 31-10...TD bounced outside off tackle and went 61 yards to "the house"....

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

I do not remember Fouts that well.  Was he good at getting his RBs destroyed like Marino too?

..Coryell was as masterful as Marchibroda IMO.......Kellen Winslow SR was one of his favorite targets.....Fouts and SD were always fun to watch...saw this game in its entirety and it was a true classic...

The Epic in Miami was the National Football League AFC divisional playoff game between the San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins that took place on January 2, 1982 in the Miami Orange Bowl. The game, won by the Chargers in overtime, 41–38, is one of the most famous in National Football League lore because of the conditions on the field

Team Stats

SDG MIA
First Downs 34 25
Rush-Yds-TDs 29-149-1 28-78-1
Cmp-Att-Yd-TD-INT 33-54-433-3-1 31-48-423-4-2
Sacked-Yards 2-18 3-29
Net Pass Yards 415 394
Total Yards 564 472
Fumbles-Lost 3-3 2-1
Turnovers 4 3
Penalties-Yards 9-55 7-50
  • Like (+1) 2

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I think Young's peak may have been better than Montana's.  Also I wonder sometimes if Dan Marino would have won a ton of rings in this era and been considered the GOAT.

I think Young was a better QB than Montana and played on lesser teams(excluding 95). Walsh was at the end of the line by the time Young took over.

When we start taking about things like GOAT, championships become a polarizing issue. Montana was absolutely clutch, so you can't completely dismiss that angle. Still going with Young.

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

FWIW, Fouts had one of the best groups of receivers ever to play on one team.

He had 3 good ones ,

SF had Rice and John Taylor

Pittsburgh Swan and Stallworth

St Louis Holt, Bruce, Az -Zahir Hakim & Proehl

Washington Monk, Clark, Sanders

Biletnikoff, Branch

Clayton, Duper, Moore

Carter, Moss, Reed

Joiner, Winslow and Jefferson are top 5ish for sure.

Edited by Cripple Creek
forgot to type Stallworth
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

He had 3 good ones ,

SF had Rice and John Taylor

Pittsburgh Swan and

St Louis Holt, Bruce, Az -Zahir Hakim & Proehl

Washington Monk, Clark, Sanders

Biletnikoff, Branch

Clayton, Duper, Moore

Carter, Moss, Reed

Joiner, Winslow and Jefferson are top 5ish for sure.

..NICELY done bud......:thumbsup:....some damn good football watchin' right there..............

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..NICELY done bud......:thumbsup:....some damn good football watchin' right there..............

:thumbsup:

People often talk about what this QB would do in today's game.  Same can be said for WRs.  Can you imagine Bambi with room to roam?

• Like (+1) 1