Fouts or Rivers? Young or Montana?

lol NFL.com

Montana over Young but that's a legit conversation.

Rivers over.... Fouts?  That's a joke.

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

If i could pick anyone to play for us right now today excluding Josh Allen:

1. Brady

2. Peyton Manning

3. Montana

4. Marino

5. Favre

6. Brees

7. Elway

8. Young

9. Rodgers

10. Kelly

Based off of tastes, conjecture, personality, style and grace.

Not bad.  But I put Brees ahead of Marino 9 days a week.

Also, Rodgers and Young about a mile ahead of Elway.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

There you have it, someone with useless stats.... 

There you have it, someone who doesn't get it.

Stats simply reflect what happens on the field. What you find, when you look, is that good QBs have good stats and bad QBs have bad stats. And it's not coincidence.

It's an opinion that was asked for. I was there, and I watched Fouts. He was certainly better than Ferguson. But in my opinion, formed watching Fouts and Rivers and a lot of QBs - and yes, informed by stats - is that Fouts was very good but Rivers is better.

And as I said, there were about 5 - 6 years when Fouts was at his peak but for the rest of his career he wasn't as dangerous as he was during that heyday.

If your opinion is different, fine.

Edited by Thurman#1

You'd have to go with Montana because of his playoff and especially Super Bowl record, but I think Young was the better QB. He just had to deal with a loaded Dallas team during his prime that limited him to the one Super Bowl.

Besides, if this poll is to determine the "franchise" QB then Montana is the obvious choice because Young never fully got out of his shadow in San Francisco. I'm sure local fans would overwhelmingly vote for Montana.

Edited by vincec

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

But would Johnny U make it in today's NFL?

I do agree that Brady is the GOAT at QB. Marino deserves at least a mention here along with Peyton.

Brady isn’t Brady back in the day, IMO. Not with the way defenses were allowed to play.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Brady isn’t Brady back in the day, IMO. Not with the way defenses were allowed to play.

I agree. The game changed exponentially after bill polian complained about the pats holding the colts wrs...prior to that it wasnt common for QBs to toss 40+ TDS or hit huge yardage totals...now we have QBs approaching or surpassing  marinos initial td record every season it seems like . The Pats have mastered the benefits of these rule changes by lining ultra quick small receivers that are impossible to contain because of the inability to get any contact on them like back in the day. All the older QBs numbers would be inflated in this era ...elway goes from having a 56% completion prolly to the high 60s and Marino would throw for 5000 yards every year like Brees 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol NFL.com

Not bad.  But I put Brees ahead of Marino 9 days a week.

IMHO, people would be talking about Brees as a GOAT candidate if he had played his entire career under Belichek.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You think Montana would run for 400 yards on the ground?  Um, he averaged less than 9 yards rushing per game.  Why exactly do you think he would rush for 400 yards in today’s even faster NFL when he didn’t do it in his own era?

To the original question: 

Fouts by a wide margin.

Monatana by a slim margin

BUT, Young may be the better choice if they both were playing in today’s game.  People tend to forget just how good Young was, in fact, SF traded away Montana who still had a couple years left just to get Young at the helm.  Similar to GB with Favre and having a young stud waiting on the bench.  Young’s game is similar to Rodgers too in terms of athleticism and accuracy.  Young is a top 5 QB all time IMO, and had he had a longer run at the top, he likely would be a consensus top 3.

SF is and was my "2nd" team behind the Bills since I became a fan of football, and there's absolutely NO WAY that Young should be considered top 5 all time, and that's disregarding championships. 

Comparing Young and the 49ers to Rogers and the Packers is way off IMO. The Bucs thought Young was a dud and traded him away for a couple of picks (TB was banking on Testeverde in the draft...). Montana was entering the twilight and injuries had hampered him considerably. The only comparison is in their ability to scramble, and Young was much better. 

Rodgers was drafted to be the heir apparent to the aging Favre and sat for a while. 

I'm not old enough to have watched Fouts play, but I will say that Rivers is probably one if the most underrated QBs ever. His attitude may have had a negative effect on his career early on.

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..Coryell was as masterful as Marchibroda IMO.......Kellen Winslow SR was one of his favorite targets.....Fouts and SD were always fun to watch...saw this game in its entirety and it was a true classic...

The Epic in Miami was the National Football League AFC divisional playoff game between the San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins that took place on January 2, 1982 in the Miami Orange Bowl. The game, won by the Chargers in overtime, 41–38, is one of the most famous in National Football League lore because of the conditions on the field

Team Stats

SDG MIA
First Downs 34 25
Rush-Yds-TDs 29-149-1 28-78-1
Cmp-Att-Yd-TD-INT 33-54-433-3-1 31-48-423-4-2
Sacked-Yards 2-18 3-29
Net Pass Yards 415 394
Total Yards 564 472
Fumbles-Lost 3-3 2-1
Turnovers 4 3
Penalties-Yards 9-55 7-50

Still the best game I've ever seen

• Like (+1) 1

How about Montana and Rivers? I always thought Young was extremely overrated in the all-time comparisons list. He was an exhilarating highlight machine, but If I was building a franchise with any QB I could take, I don't think he'd be in my top 15. 

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol NFL.com

Not bad.  But I put Brees ahead of Marino 9 days a week.

I think Elway is better than Rodgers and leaves Young in the dust.