Fouts or Rivers? Young or Montana?

I think these are the two most difficult choices to make when evaluating teams best QB.

NFL.com chose Rivers but I would go with Fouts.  He is a better pure passer and if he were allowed to play with today's rules he would be unstoppable. 

Young is in my top 5 QB of all time, but Montana is still my top choice. Again if Montana played today with his combination of athleticism and a accuracy, he would pass like Brady and add 400 yards on the ground.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Montana and Young are close.  Young put up slightly better regular season passing numbers in terms of passer rating and was a far superior runner.  Both had decent WR support, average running support, and had pretty good defensive support throughout their careers.  Montana put up unreal numbers (for the time) in the playoffs and obviously his 4-0 Superbowl record warps Young's 1-0 record.  I'd go with Montana but it's not a runaway.  Fouts over Rivers btw.

Rivers and Montana.

Fouts was very good, especially for his time, but he threw a lot of INTs. Some of that was desperation from being on a bad team and being behind a lot. Not all of it. 254 TDs and 242 INTs. It's a bit startling to see. And yeah, it was harder back then to put up great stats, I get that. Still. Plus Fouts had about 5 - 6 years when he was very good and in the rest, he wasn't hitting on all cylinders.

I liked Fouts a lot, both then and now, but Rivers is terrific. He's underappreciated.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Rivers and Montana.

Fouts was very good, especially for his time, but he threw a lot of INTs. Some of that was desperation from being on a bad team and being behind a lot. Not all of it. 254 TDs and 242 INTs. It's a bit startling to see. And yeah, it was harder back then to put up great stats, I get that. Still.

I liked Fouts a lot, both then and now, but Rivers is terrific. He's underappreciated.

There you have it, someone with useless stats.... 

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

FWIW, Fouts had one of the best groups of receivers ever to play on one team.

Best team to never win it all for me, since 1973

should have won it in the wide open 1980 season 

1 hour ago, High Football IQ said:

Rivers is an all time great but unless the Chargers can get to a SB and win one the next few years he'll always be overlooked in the annals of NFL history.

Shouldn’t take a fan more than 15 seconds to come up with 10 QBs who totally blow away Rivers, that all time great list has how many?  50 or 100?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think these are the two most difficult choices to make when evaluating teams best QB.

NFL.com chose Rivers but I would go with Fouts.  He is a better pure passer and if he were allowed to play with today's rules he would be unstoppable. 

Young is in my top 5 QB of all time, but Montana is still my top choice. Again if Montana played today with his combination of athleticism and a accuracy, he would pass like Brady and add 400 yards on the ground.

You think Montana would run for 400 yards on the ground?  Um, he averaged less than 9 yards rushing per game.  Why exactly do you think he would rush for 400 yards in today’s even faster NFL when he didn’t do it in his own era?

To the original question: 

Fouts by a wide margin.

Monatana by a slim margin

BUT, Young may be the better choice if they both were playing in today’s game.  People tend to forget just how good Young was, in fact, SF traded away Montana who still had a couple years left just to get Young at the helm.  Similar to GB with Favre and having a young stud waiting on the bench.  Young’s game is similar to Rodgers too in terms of athleticism and accuracy.  Young is a top 5 QB all time IMO, and had he had a longer run at the top, he likely would be a consensus top 3.

34 minutes ago, row_33 said:

young as top 5?  That’s Acid trip fanatical unreal devotion, I don’t care the slightest to know why you see it that way.... nice troll attempt though 

Maybe 1 of the top 5 most entertaining to watch... but if I want to win a very big game, I’m not picking him, that’s for damn sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think yards are an underutilized statistic for quarterbacks.  As Hank Stram famously said, the job of the offense is to "matriculate" the ball down the field.  

And that's what Fouts did.  He piled up the yards.  In 1981, for example, Fouts passed for nearly 5,000 yards in a season where no other QB passed for over 4,000 - not Montana, Bradshaw, Theisman, Manning, Stabler, Jaworski, Andersen, Plunkett or anyone else.  

I don't dismiss Rivers' skills.  But Fouts was special in his era.  

• Like (+1) 1

Young was great but not as good as Montana.  I wonder if people taking Young have ever watched Montana.

Fouts would be my choice over Rivers.  Rivers is very good but Fouts was dominant.  Rivers has had many good years but what is is signature moment?  Good for a long time is not enough.

58 minutes ago, row_33 said:

young as top 5?  That’s Acid trip fanatical unreal devotion, I don’t care the slightest to know why you see it that way.... nice troll attempt though 

What is your top 5? Young is 3rd all time in QB rating so I'm unclear why you think it is unreal?

Mine shifts around from time to time and is to some degree on how much I factor in the era they played.

Mine currently is Brady, Montana, Manning, Favre, Young, followed by Elway, Rodgers, Marino and Brees. I know many think more highly of Brees and Rodgers than where I have them listed. Right or wrong I think Brady and Manning are better than Brees and Rodgers and I'm compensating for the era in which they played for the others.

Just my opinion but at least the career QB rating suggests I'm not far off

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

There you have it, someone with useless stats.... 

What is the useless stat? Interceptions? 

If Favre throws two less INTs he probably wins two more SuperBowls. 

As for important stats yes you can say wins and losses but I favor YPA and TD/INT ratio.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You think Montana would run for 400 yards on the ground?  Um, he averaged less than 9 yards rushing per game.  Why exactly do you think he would rush for 400 yards in today’s even faster NFL when he didn’t do it in his own era?

To the original question: 

Fouts by a wide margin.

Monatana by a slim margin

BUT, Young may be the better choice if they both were playing in today’s game.  People tend to forget just how good Young was, in fact, SF traded away Montana who still had a couple years left just to get Young at the helm.  Similar to GB with Favre and having a young stud waiting on the bench.  Young’s game is similar to Rodgers too in terms of athleticism and accuracy.  Young is a top 5 QB all time IMO, and had he had a longer run at the top, he likely would be a consensus top 3.

This is one of the craziest/best ever runs by a QB in NFL history--but I'm still picking Montana overall as the best franchise QB for them: