Italian, Kielbasa, Chorizo, Bratwurst, Vienna, blood or...

11 hours ago, Augie said:

My mother used to serve us something she called Hungarian goulash. I have NO idea what was in there! Strange little memory burp there.....I’ll need to look that up. 

It's a soup! My mom used to serve that so much I was shocked when I learned what goulash was to most people.

Sausage - Weisswurst, Hot Italian, Kielbasa, and I'm a sucker for the specialty sausages like buffalo chicken and pulled pork bbq.

Edited by McGee Return TD

Kielbasa, the homemade grey kind. When I was a kid my aunt would make it from scratch for holidays. I would turn the hand grinder to mix the meat and spices as it went into the casing. Unfortunately she passed away 20 years ago and nobody can find her recipe. Back then they just knew how to do it. It’s hard to find outside of Buffalo and the Broadway Market.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Italian from Scime’s

Fresh kielbasa from Hanzlian Bros (the grey stuff, not the smoked)

13 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s actually amazing to think about the diversity of what is considered sausage.  I could have added to the title bologna, pepperoni, andouille or several others.  To me sausage is essentially the perfect combination of fat and spice.  Both are about flavor. 

The whole concept of ‘sausage’ bewilders me.

I mean, who first thought of the idea of killing an animal and stuffing its flesh in its own intestines, then hanging it in the sun to dry?

Sounds like a Jeffrey Dahmer type to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, The Senator said:

The whole concept of ‘sausage’ bewilders me.

I mean, who first thought of the idea of killing an animal and stuffing its flesh in its own intestines, then hanging it in the sun to dry?

Sounds like a Jeffrey Dahmer type to me.

What about eggs? Who's the first guy who looked at a chicken and said, "I'm gonna eat the things that come out of its butt"?

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Italian. Growing up in an Italian American household sausage and peppers was and still is a common meal. Infact I used some last night with spaghetti and sauce instead of meatballs which always a nice change up.

My Mom's sauce included meatballs, Italian sausage, and chunks of pork. It cooked all day on the stove, and by early afternoon, my brother and I were scooping up bowlfuls to eat with Italian bread.

Molta bella!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

My Mom's sauce included meatballs, Italian sausage, and chunks of pork. It cooked all day on the stove, and by early afternoon, my brother and I were scooping up bowlfuls to eat with Italian bread.

Molta bella!

My mother got in the habit of tossing in leftovers to ‘flavour’ the sauce while it simmered.  In the door one evening after work, I hurriedly speared what I thought was a meatball, and fished out a breaded pork chop from the previous night’s dinner.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Italian sausage with sauteed peppers and onions on a hard roll. Delizioso!

I would call this #1 for me.

12 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Texas style smoked BBQ sausage is another of my faves.

This would be #2 for me.

Oh in case you do not know Aldi's is owned by a German discount company started after World War II.

They tore down a car dealer near me recently and I found out that there will be a German supermarket installed there; interesting since Aldis is across the street and it has often had for sale German sausage, beers, snacks and other items imported from Germany.

13 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Boudin is pretty damn good.  It packs enough flavor that you don't need to serve it with anything else. 

I like the fermented Esan style thai pork and rice sausages quite a bit.

Texas style smoked BBQ sausage is another of my faves.

I can't get by the lived in boudin.  I want to like it but can't break the mental barrier.

Since moving to Texas for 6+ months per year, sausage is huge.  Many are very good but hard to beat Italian sausage.  Good Italian sausage is hard to find.  Shows that preferences are very regional and people lean to what they are growing up.

57 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

What about eggs? Who's the first guy who looked at a chicken and said, "I'm gonna eat the things that come out of its butt"?

Fair enough, I’m certainly no scholar n behaviorism, animal or human.

I’d guess that, since we all evolved from single-celled amoeba until we finally climbed out of the slime as alligators, and eventually became mammals, Cro-Magnon man had little intelligence, but was hungry, and simply imitated what he saw other animals do - eat eggs.

I would guess that, after he discovered fire, scrambled eggs were soon to follow.

Now, how Cro-Magnon man evolved from simply dropping a raw egg into his morning smoothie blender, all the way to gourmet sausages on a 6-burner outdoor kitchen grill?

I may have a thesis topic here.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Molta bella!

Sounds good ? 

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Hey this is a sausage not an egg thread :lol:  however eggs pair well with sausage. 

• Like (+1) 1