Josh Allen vs Daniel Jones

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Never understood why they didnt trade down again if they were insistant about taking him.

Trades just don't happen because fans want them to.  Usually a trade up happens when a team covets a player that they are convinced won't be there at their pick and the only way to get him is to trade up.  If there is no demand for a specific player where you are drafting, you can't trade down.  It also works the same way if you want a player & nobody is willing to take what you're offering.  Best example is the Bills 2004 draft.  Donahoe wanted to trade up for Roethlisberger & either nobody above Pittsburgh was willing to give up on the player they wanted to draft in their spot or Donahoe wasn't offering enough to get them to move down.  Then later in the 1st round Donahoe & Parcells got together on the trade that got the Bills JP Losman.  Donahoe made his pitch and after Parcells stopped laughing at the thought the Bills were trading up for JP, the deal was made.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/6/2019 at 10:53 AM, ToddAllan said:

I was pretty angry after the Bills picked Maybin (with Orakpo still on the board), EJ Manuel (bad year for a QB) and Watkins (using 2 first round picks when a guy like Evans would be at our original spot, all to help EJ look good).

Now that I think about it, I was pretty annoyed by the selections of Willis McGahee, John McCargo, and Leodis McKelvin, too.

I thought there were better players available.

What bothered me most about watkins was the fact that so many WRs were there if we just sat.  Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks - all good and all wouldnt have cost us our 2015 1st.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:52 AM, Hatszel said:

The EJ Manual year who were you going to take?   I personally would have traded back again and then take Manual who was the best Quarterback in that draft.  Not that it says much.   

Picks I hated most were Spiller when we had good backs   and  the trade up for a WR in a Strong WR draft for Watkins.    In my Mocks that year I had us trading back and getting Martin G, Benjamin WR and Martavius Bryant    

I would have taken the best player available at that spot, or traded down, I don't remember who was out there anymore, but I would not have drafted a QB that year unless it was Barkley in the 3rd or 4th round, who was and still is the best QB from that draft class.  EJ Manuel should not have even been drafted by any team, and wouldn't have been if it hadn't been for Whaley.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:10 PM, dneveu said:

What bothered me most about watkins was the fact that so many WRs were there if we just sat.  Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks - all good and all wouldnt have cost us our 2015 1st.

Yup Watkins was incredibly talented, but the rest of the draft just didnt justify that move. Soooooo deep at WR, trading up for one was incredibly short sighted 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yup Watkins was incredibly talented, but the rest of the draft just didnt justify that move. Soooooo deep at WR, trading up for one was incredibly short sighted 

I was on record for wanting Evans, who would have been gone by the Bills original pick. Watkins was one of the most dominant college receivers I have ever seen.  OBJ wasn’t close to what he became.  Then there was Benjamin.  

Trading up for a non qb in the draft is usually a bad move (this new regime continues to do this as well).  But Watkins was head and shoulders above any receiver in that class.  Playing in our high school offense with bad qbs and injuries killed his career.  Still the best offensive coaches want him on their teams.  And for the 6th in a row, I’m predicting a monster year out of him! ?

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was on record for wanting Evans, who would have been gone by the Bills original pick. Watkins was one of the most dominant college receivers I have ever seen.  OBJ wasn’t close to what he became.  Then there was Benjamin.  

Trading up for a non qb in the draft is usually a bad move (this new regime continues to do this as well).  But Watkins was head and shoulders above any receiver in that class.  Playing in our high school offense with bad qbs and injuries killed his career.  Still the best offensive coaches want him on their teams.  And for the 6th in a row, I’m predicting a monster year out of him! ?

ehhhhh.  i don't think this is the case at all.  sammy has damaged sammy's career.  he's been on two other teams with very high end qbs, and still hasn't produced.  to blame that on the bills is very misplaced.  

4 minutes ago, teef said:

ehhhhh.  i don't think this is the case at all.  sammy has damaged sammy's career.  he's been on two other teams with very high end qbs, and still hasn't produced.  to blame that on the bills is very misplaced.  

Has he lived up to the draft selection? Of course not.  His foot injury, imo, has lingered with him.  But again, he has been a starter on the nfl’s 1 offense 2 years in a row for 2 different teams.  

While Sammy hasn’t produced the big number, he is still a big threat that defenses have to account for.  I worry that don’t have enough of those threats.  I guess the hope is that Foster is more of the 2nd half guy than the 1st/ college Foster.  IMO, Brown isn’t big enough to be that guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Watkins was far and away the #1 WR in the draft that year.  Let's face it: that move was a desperation heave to get EJ Manuel a WR1 in order to give him a chance to maximize his ability.

It didn't work.

But let's also recognize how good Watkins was when he was healthy: He put up almost 1,000 yards with EJ and Kyle Orton as a rookie, and followed that up with over 1,000 yards on 96 targets (in 13 games) with Tyrod Taylor quarterbacking an offense that threw fewer passes than any other offense in the NFL.  For as pass-happy as the NFL has become, only 20 WRs in the game had over 1,000 yards last year.  In 2017, that number was only 15.

I think it's safe to say that we'd all trade our 2020 first round pick for a WR that put up Sammy's 2015 numbers right now.

As for Sammy's "monster year", if it doesn't happen in 2019 it'll never happen.  It's his first season in the NFL where he's coming in healthy and playing in the same system as the previous year.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Watkins was far and away the #1 WR in the draft that year.  Let's face it: that move was a desperation heave to get EJ Manuel a WR1 in order to give him a chance to maximize his ability.

It didn't work.

But let's also recognize how good Watkins was when he was healthy: He put up almost 1,000 yards with EJ and Kyle Orton as a rookie, and followed that up with over 1,000 yards on 96 targets (in 13 games) with Tyrod Taylor quarterbacking an offense that threw fewer passes than any other offense in the NFL.  For as pass-happy as the NFL has become, only 20 WRs in the game had over 1,000 yards last year.  In 2017, that number was only 15.

I think it's safe to say that we'd all trade our 2020 first round pick for a WR that put up Sammy's 2015 numbers right now.

As for Sammy's "monster year", if it doesn't happen in 2019 it'll never happen.  It's his first season in the NFL where he's coming in healthy and playing in the same system as the previous year.

Quick question: would you support a similar move to get Allen the top receiver in next year’s class if no one looks like a number 1 on the current roster?

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:00 AM, Alaska Darin said:

I would love to have a video of my reaction to the EJ Manuel pick.  I pretty much lost my mind just like the people in this video.

My biggest meltdown was Donte Whitner. Spiller and McKelvin were close but Whitner was traumatizing.

12 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

My biggest meltdown was Donte Whitner. Spiller and McKelvin were close but Whitner was traumatizing.

I know you will never agree but it was more of the player than the position. If the Bills drafted Earl Thomas or Ed Reed, no one cares. And Whitner got drafted by us later in the draft, he is thought of much different.  He was a solid player for a lot of years in the nfl.

Quick question: would you support a similar move to get Allen the top receiver in next year’s class if no one looks like a number 1 on the current roster?

No...not at all.  For one, I don't think there's anywhere near the gap between the top WR in next year's class and the 4th than the one that was perceived between Watkins and say, OBJ at the time.  For another, the FA class of wideouts still looks pretty strong in 2020.  Lastly, there's less of a desperation-mode feeling to Allen (at this point) than there was to EJ at the time.

• Like (+1) 4

I know you will never agree but it was more of the player than the position. If the Bills drafted Earl Thomas or Ed Reed, no one cares. And Whitner got drafted by us later in the draft, he is thought of much different.  He was a solid player for a lot of years in the nfl.

My thing is that the quality of a draft isn't only determined by who you draft, but also who you passed on. Levy admitted to numerous trade down offers and passed on HUGE talent (much of it at positions of dire need) in order to draft Whitner, an undersized safety (who btw held out and had off field issues).

Whitner was weak in coverage and while he was generally OK in run support, he would also get pancaked from time to time. He went on to collect 36 million dollars from the Bills and it all counted towards the cap.

Whitner was one of the dumbest picks I have ever seen but what were we to expect from the absolute worst Head Coach/GM teams that ever existed in the NFL?