Josh Allen vs Daniel Jones

My moment like that, or should I say moments were when we picked 'lil Donte Whitner at 8, but my biggest throat punch from this franchise came when they announced EJ Manuel.  I think I just about quit on this team that year. The Aaron Maybin pick was another one of those head scratchers, but the EJ pick nearly broke me.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Evidently. The dude wouldn’t be here if Mom didn’t do that..

To be fair to the Giants, the destiny of Allen, Allen, Jones and Barkley are far from written.  They could turn out to be very right, very wrong or totally break even.

The only fair criticism for now, IMO, is to say Jones could have been had later than 6 which seems to be likely.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

My moment like that, or should I say moments were when we picked 'lil Donte Whitner at 8, but my biggest throat punch from this franchise came when they announced EJ Manuel.  I think I just about quit on this team that year. The Aaron Maybin pick was another one of those head scratchers, but the EJ pick nearly broke me.

The EJ Manual year who were you going to take?   I personally would have traded back again and then take Manual who was the best Quarterback in that draft.  Not that it says much.   

Picks I hated most were Spiller when we had good backs   and  the trade up for a WR in a Strong WR draft for Watkins.    In my Mocks that year I had us trading back and getting Martin G, Benjamin WR and Martavius Bryant    

Edited by Hatszel

I was pretty angry after the Bills picked Maybin (with Orakpo still on the board), EJ Manuel (bad year for a QB) and Watkins (using 2 first round picks when a guy like Evans would be at our original spot, all to help EJ look good).

Now that I think about it, I was pretty annoyed by the selections of Willis McGahee, John McCargo, and Leodis McKelvin, too.

I thought there were better players available.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I really don’t know anything about Jones, but it seems like Giants fans are just in a complain about anything mood... probably justifiable.

Considering for a while there we were drafting Mike Williams, J.P. Losman, Spiller, Dareus and Watkins, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND DRAFTING INEPTITUDE AND FAN ANGER. We have suffered for decades. 

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Who knows what Daniel Jones may or may not become but I literally pissed my pants watching this video. Some of those fan reactions were just priceless. 

They all look pretty stupid to me.

17 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I don't think Bills fans were ever as hating on the JA pick last year compared to the fan reactions of Giants fans to Daniel Jones... Do I feel sorry for them? NO!

But maybe we should be happy that the Giants waited till this year to select a QB....

BIG DIFFERENCE though.  Josh Allen had number one overall draft hype.  Josh Allen was being talked about in some circles as the best QB prospect in terms of ceiling.  Josh Allen was expected to go top 10.  None of those things are true for Daniel Jones who was graded to be a 2nd round pick at best most the off season, and then late hype had him maybe as a mid to late mid round QB once the others went off the board.  

Additionally, there wasn't generational and elite defensive talent still on the board either when Allen was picked, plus our D was solid already and we all desperately wanted and needed a QB.  

So not really comparable.  Means nothing, but on draft night the Daniel Jones pick was shocking to just about anyone, even to those who thought it could happen still thought it was a terrible move with the other QB's on the board, defensive Josh Allen and Oliver.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Meanwhile, Jones is making Gettleman look smarter than the media guys who mock drafted him much lower & the people who believed them:  

Daniel Jones outplayed Eli Manning in the New York Giants' minicamp. It was obvious, and it wasn't really close.

Through three days of full-squad sessions, the sixth overall pick in April's draft looked like a better quarterback than Manning. He wasn't just more athletic (that's to be expected); he was also sharper, more accurate and more willing and able to challenge the defense with difficult downfield throws.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2839815-giants-may-not-admit-it-but-daniel-jones-already-a-better-fit-than-eli-manning

Edited by Albany,n.y.

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

BIG DIFFERENCE though.  Josh Allen had number one overall draft hype.  Josh Allen was being talked about in some circles as the best QB prospect in terms of ceiling.  Josh Allen was expected to go top 10.  None of those things are true for Daniel Jones who was graded to be a 2nd round pick at best most the off season, and then late hype had him maybe as a mid to late mid round QB once the others went off the board.  

Additionally, there wasn't generational and elite defensive talent still on the board either when Allen was picked, plus our D was solid already and we all desperately wanted and needed a QB.  

So not really comparable.  Means nothing, but on draft night the Daniel Jones pick was shocking to just about anyone, even to those who thought it could happen still thought it was a terrible move with the other QB's on the board, defensive Josh Allen and Oliver.  

I expected Jones to go to the Giants in the 1st round all along .  Even though I thought he'd be picked at 17, the Giants were sold on him (not Haskins as "the experts" thought) and really, if a team is sold on a QB why risk him not being there 11 picks away.  I remember the Giants getting a lot of flack for picking Phil Simms at #7 and that turned out OK.  Just because a guy is underhyped by the media doesn't mean teams don't have a 1st round grade on him.   

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I expected Jones to go to the Giants in the 1st round all along .  Even though I thought he'd be picked at 17, the Giants were sold on him (not Haskins as "the experts" thought) and really, if a team is sold on a QB why risk him not being there 11 picks away.  I remember the Giants getting a lot of flack for picking Phil Simms at #7 and that turned out OK.  Just because a guy is underhyped by the media doesn't mean teams don't have a 1st round grade on him.   

Yeah. I don't personally like Jones as a prospect, but fan reaction will have absolutely no bearing on anything. Half of it looked scripted anyway. Ironically, the same fans whining will be loving them some Jones if he lights it up in the preseason.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:20 PM, DefenseWins said:

I don't think Bills fans were ever as hating on the JA pick last year compared to the fan reactions of Giants fans to Daniel Jones... Do I feel sorry for them? NO!

But maybe we should be happy that the Giants waited till this year to select a QB....

Dude you need to go back and see all the hate comments of Josh Allen in here, it was really bleak for quite some time. I think the videos would have been similar but it would have went like this "Josh Allen over Josh Rosen? Beane needs to be fired immediately". 

On 6/5/2019 at 9:43 PM, whatdrought said:

I really don’t know anything about Jones, but it seems like Giants fans are just in a complain about anything mood... probably justifiable.

Main weakness, as was explained to me on this board, he doesn't have very good arm strength.  He's a big kid, and fairly athletic.  I think his college prep was a little more conventional than Allen's.  It's possible he may develop into a halfway decent QB, but lack of arm strength will be a limitation.  I think the main criticism of Gettleman's draft strategy was not the fact that he drafted Jones, but that he drafted him where he did.  Many think the Giants could have gotten him with their second round pick, but they could have at least traded down from #6 to do it.

Edited by TigerJ

On 6/6/2019 at 5:00 AM, Alaska Darin said:

I would love to have a video of my reaction to the EJ Manuel pick.  I pretty much lost my mind just like the people in this video.

Me and you both , I had to go and buy a new TV !!!