Trent Williams demands trade. Bills should bring him in to complete Oline

DJB

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

BS, this is about money.  He sees what guys who "graded" below him signed for after his 2015 deal. 

Guy's heading into his 10th season and his last full season was 6 years ago.  He's trying to walk away form 24 million over the next 2 years.  Unless his next team is fine with him playing for fractions of seasons (at a premium price), how many years does anyone really think this guy has value?

Hard pass.

You are making  an assumption based on an assumption. The basis of his holdout is to express his displeasure with the medical staff. At least that is the storyline that is coming from his camp and close friends on the team. There have been no stories other than groundless speculation in the DC/MD papers and coverage indicating that he is holding out for more money. He has had a history of injuries and rehabilitations and doesn't feel that the medical staff has performed to a level that he finds acceptable. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/06/05/trent-williams-absence-redskins-camp-related-frustration-over-medical-treatment/?utm_term=.ab524fd9a1ec

20 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and TBD pundits squawk about our other injured acquisition from the Deadskins.....Trent's list is long.....

....benign tumor in head, rib, knee and thumb injuries..........

Wait... a tumor?

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They're not building the team by bringing in high-priced guys, especially older ones.

Williams is good. Not going to be here, though.

Bills FO has made it a priority  to fix and build the line. We have the cap space to make a deal. It's not totally  out of the question that it can't happen

9 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Wait... a tumor?

...quote I read was "benign tumor or growth from the head:.........did not clarify if internal or external though..............

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 5, 2019, 1:06 PM EDT

A couple months ago, news broke that Williams had a benign tumor or growth removed from his head. Not a lot has been reported about exactly what happened, but Williams is apparently not satisfied that he got adequate medical care from the team.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

16 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Anyone else curious as to why only Jason La Sucka has reported this?

If Jayson Blair or Alex Jones reported this story - about a good player wanting out of Washington because of FO incompetence - I'd believe it without hesitation.

29 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...quote I read was "benign tumor or growth from the head:.........did not clarify if internal or external though..............

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 5, 2019, 1:06 PM EDT

A couple months ago, news broke that Williams had a benign tumor or growth removed from his head. Not a lot has been reported about exactly what happened, but Williams is apparently not satisfied that he got adequate medical care from the team.

Oh, you meant Trent Williams. I got confused and thought it was Trent Murphy. Derp.

23 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LOL......BOTH were Deadskins "medical patients"...we have one and probably don't need another......:thumbsup:

Haha, for sure. Yeah, I don't see Beane exploring a trade for Williams. They like Dawkins and definitely wanna give him every chance to really lock up the LT spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No, obviously not.  But he will want at least 12 million a year and you are assuming he will even be available for 10 games a year and at his age and given his history, there's no reason to believe this.

A "contributor" isn't a value at that price.

He’s NEVER not played 10 games in his career.  There’s definitely reason to believe this.  Theres no reason to believe that he won’t.  In 10 yeArs, he’s played in at least 10 games every season.  I’d say that’s a reason to believe this.  

Based on his career, he’s at worst, a contributor.  If he plays more than 10 games he’s a vital cog.  He’s a proven top 5 LTs in the league.  A huge upgrade over Dawkins.  At some point it has to be about winning NOW and not the future.  Trent is a win now move.  If we can give up a 3rd for a top 5 LT I’m in.   

All of this as long as his salary demands aren’t ridiculous 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

You are making  an assumption based on an assumption. The basis of his holdout is to express his displeasure with the medical staff. At least that is the storyline that is coming from his camp and close friends on the team. There have been no stories other than groundless speculation in the DC/MD papers and coverage indicating that he is holding out for more money. He has had a history of injuries and rehabilitations and doesn't feel that the medical staff has performed to a level that he finds acceptable. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/06/05/trent-williams-absence-redskins-camp-related-frustration-over-medical-treatment/?utm_term=.ab524fd9a1ec

If the Pats get him watch how quickly the narrative flips.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He’s NEVER not played 10 games in his career.  There’s definitely reason to believe this.  Theres no reason to believe that he won’t.  In 10 yeArs, he’s played in at least 10 games every season.  I’d say that’s a reason to believe this.  

Based on his career, he’s at worst, a contributor.  If he plays more than 10 games he’s a vital cog.  He’s a proven top 5 LTs in the league.  A huge upgrade over Dawkins.  At some point it has to be about winning NOW and not the future.  Trent is a win now move.  If we can give up a 3rd for a top 5 LT I’m in.   

All of this as long as his salary demands aren’t ridiculous 

He wants more than 24 million over the next 2 years.  That's ridiculous for what you describe as "at worst, a contributor". 

Redskins are always in a win now mode, no? 

The Bills aren't an aging, expensive, often injured top 5 (when available to play) LT away froma deep playoff run.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

He also had four-game suspension without pay for violating the league's Policy & Program for Substance Abuse. Is this medical staff's problem too?

I do not want Bills to bring in any players with such violations unless Jim Overdorf is not involved in contract since he crafted contracts without ability to take back bonuses for such violations.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He wants more than 24 million over the next 2 years.  That's ridiculous for what you describe as "at worst, a contributor". 

Redskins are always in a win now mode, no? 

The Bills aren't an aging, expensive, often injured top 5 (when available to play) LT away froma deep playoff run.

We differ in opinion.  I believe 24 mill, 2 years for Trent Williams is a good deal.  If he wanted over 12 mill gtd is where I’d start to have a problem. 

We have cash this year.  We can pay him up front and make it so little is owed after this year.  I’m not just thinking about him putting us over the top to win the SB, I’m looking to develop JA.  Having Trent st LT instead of Dawkins would be a huge upgrade and help JA imo.  

If the price is reasonable on a deal, get him.  

When it comes to the Oline, I'm a big believer in the "rising tide raises all ships".  Putting him at LT along with Morse at center gives us two plus players at key positions.  We have the money.  Given the musical chairs at every position but center currently, having one more position shored up and settling only 3 positions would give us a lot greater chance at putting a quality oline on the field in week 1.