Knee replacement. How many here have gone through it?

On 6/5/2019 at 11:09 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

My right knee was done Monday. The pain block wore off last night and it was brutal. But those who know me knew I walked like Frankenstein with two bad knees. I had to get this done.

I'm curious if anyone else here had gone through this ordeal. How was it for you? How long before it felt normal?  Have any of you had a Conformis knee put in?

Conformis does a CT scan of your knee and 3D prints new ends to your bones. No ligaments are cut. It's supposed to feel more like your natural knee with less rehabilitation.

Good luck!

i know it probably won’t help, but @Gugny had VRS recently. You might want to check on how that recovery went.

• Haha (+1) 1

My 87 year old mother had both knees replaced over a few years. First one went fine with no lingering pain. The doctor wanted to try a new procedure on the second, and after a year it still bothers her. But she’s 87.

i just got diagnosed with a torn meniscus,  but the doctor recommended I don’t have surgery if I can deal with the pain, because at my age it sometimes doesn’t improve.

Edited by PastaJoe

1 minute ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

My mother went in for a knee replacement a couple of years ago, and ffive weeks later she left the hospital missing her whole damned leg from the thigh down. 

That is horrific! I’m so sorry! I’m sure it’s also the very rare exception, but that doesn’t make it any better. 

28 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

My mother went in for a knee replacement a couple of years ago, and ffive weeks later she left the hospital missing her whole damned leg from the thigh down. 

Was it due to infection? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Boy, they sure try to get you out of the hospital ASAP, and that not just the insurance company!

If you don’t belong there get home as quickly as possible 

• Like (+1) 1

Mother-in-law had both knees done at the same time a year ago (70 yrs old)...robotic surgery.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, the 1st 2 weeks seem rough but my mother-in-law is religious with her PT and she's moving around without much issues.  Some stiffness once in a while but much better than before the surgery.

I had the R knee done in 2002.  The Doc didn't want to do it because I was "too young."  Now 17+ years later it's still hanging in there.  Is it totally pain free?  No, but it's always had some pain.  I would much rather keep what I have rather than go through it again.

Got a cortosone shot in the L today.  Starting to be painful on stairs, but walking is OK.  The previous shot was in January.

Had the surgery in Seattle and had to go to a class before the surgery.  They explained the whole thing, recovery, etc. etc.  The nurse said it was a "bloodless" surgery.  I asked her why my Doc wanted me to donate a unit of blood before the surgery?  She said, "well we call it bloodless because there is a very tight tourniqet placed at the top of your leg, so that makes the surgery bloodless.  But, after, when they remove it, 'you'll bleed like crazy!'"  She was right!

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Was it due to infection? 

Blood clots were the major problem. I am foggy on the series of events, but mom red-lined during two different surgeries. Before the third (maybe fourth) the surgeon approached me and Step Dad and said essentially "lose her leg, or lose her life". Ironically, the new knee went in the trash with the rest of her leg.

This was three years ago.

She was two months from retiring and otherwise the strongest, hardest working woman any of us ever met. Now she has more or less given up on using her prosthetic and spends all of her time on the couch in depression. Addiction to Oxy has not helped.

Even more ironic: Mom worked for the largest, most prestigious orthopedic clinic in our region. And the lead Dr. Did the surgery. 

Even more ironic than that: The chronic pain she had in her knee may not have been the joint, but the clots instead. They knew the scans/whatever did not justify a knee replacement. They ran every other kind of test they could think of, but never detected the blood clots that were a major problem, if not THE major problem.

Many, many folks recommended a lawsuit, but Mom does not want to sue.

Sorry if I used "ironic" incorrectly. Tragic is more like it.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
Do any of you remember Uhls Bakery? That was my grandad. He ultimately died because if blood clots in his leg.
  • Sad 2

On 6/5/2019 at 11:09 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

My right knee was done Monday. The pain block wore off last night and it was brutal. But those who know me knew I walked like Frankenstein with two bad knees. I had to get this done.

I'm curious if anyone else here had gone through this ordeal. How was it for you? How long before it felt normal?  Have any of you had a Conformis knee put in?

Conformis does a CT scan of your knee and 3D prints new ends to your bones. No ligaments are cut. It's supposed to feel more like your natural knee with less rehabilitation.

So you used to walk like the real; Promo?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

So you used to walk like the real; Promo?

Pretty much. 8 days after surgery I'm on crutches and able to move around the house. The only bad pain is if I try a leg lift from my knee. My thigh muscle just above the knee is still effed up.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Pretty much. 8 days after surgery I'm on crutches and able to move around the house. The only bad pain is if I try a leg lift from my knee. My thigh muscle just above the knee is still effed up.

I have a "cheap" Schwinn recumbent bike.  It will help with your range of motion.  Cost a little over $300, 3 years ago.  Don't do anything without running it by your doc.

8 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I have a "cheap" Schwinn recumbent bike.  It will help with your range of motion.  Cost a little over $300, 3 years ago.  Don't do anything without running it by your doc.

Doc wants me to take it easy until next week when I see him again. I have a solid 90 degrees range. I can get around the house fine.