Knee replacement. How many here have gone through it?

My right knee was done Monday. The pain block wore off last night and it was brutal. But those who know me knew I walked like Frankenstein with two bad knees. I had to get this done.

I'm curious if anyone else here had gone through this ordeal. How was it for you? How long before it felt normal?  Have any of you had a Conformis knee put in?

Conformis does a CT scan of your knee and 3D prints new ends to your bones. No ligaments are cut. It's supposed to feel more like your natural knee with less rehabilitation.

a family member had both replaced a few years ago, she was 74 at the time

seems good now, was on morphine for immediate recovery and then put back on morphine to start rehab sessions.

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

a family member had both replaced a few years ago, she was 74 at the time

seems good now, was on morphine for immediate recovery and then put back on morphine to start rehab sessions.

Both knees at once or a few weeks apart? Can't imagine doing both at the same time.

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Both knees at once or a few weeks apart? Can't imagine doing both at the same time.

she read that both could be done at once, and had a pipedream about it, i knew there was no point in arguing with her

her surgeon said "not a hope of doing this" at her age, which shut down that silliness

they were done a few months apart, she had to practically guarantee she'd get the other one because the first would not be a pleasant time

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My right knee was done Monday. The pain block wore off last night and it was brutal. But those who know me knew I walked like Frankenstein with two bad knees. I had to get this done.

I'm curious if anyone else here had gone through this ordeal. How was it for you? How long before it felt normal? Have any of you had a Conformis knee put in?

Conformis does a CT scan of your knee and 3D prints new ends to your bones. No ligaments are cut. It's supposed to feel more like your natural knee with less rehabilitation.

Some one I know who goes to the same swim center I go to had the same knee replacement that included the CT scan and 3D prints. For addiction reasons he didn't take pain killers after the procedure. He went through a lot of pain before it settled down. He was diligent about his rehab. Compared to his condition before the surgery of constant pain he is doing well and back on the golf course.

The only complaint that he has is that his knee clicks when he bends it. He was considering a procedure to fix the problem, which may be unfixable, but decided to live with the clicking. In general, the operation allowed him to live a normal and pain free life.  

I wish you the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

My parents have had season tickets since the early 80's.  They are in their 70's now and tailgate at the Red Carpet Inn, other side of Southwestern from the stadium, about a half mile walk (even more if you factor in getting to their seats).  The past few years they have had both knee's replaced.   Previous to that, they would have to stop several times on their walk to the stadium due to knee pain.  But now they have no issues and the only thing they say is they wish they didn't wait so long to get it done.  My parents are die hard Bills fans, they scheduled their surgeries in the off season so they would not miss any games! 

Good luck!

Edited by ricojes
  • Like (+1) 4

I had my left knee done 7 years ago and my right knee done the following year (and I'm only 49).

I had some pain but it was managable - initially on Oxycontin (wonderful drug when used correctly), but tried to shed that drug as soon as I could in favor of non-narcotics.

I have found that the replacement and rehab experience varies incredibly from person to person - I think both of mine when very well but I have certainly heard of people who had considerable issues with pain. Best advice would be to work closely with your doctor to manage the pain. 

I didn't start to feel normal for a couple of weeks once I got off the Oxy, and then even a few weeks more until I was sleeping better.

Please PM me if I can help in any way - happy to let you know what I know.

Edited by The Avenger
  • Like (+1) 2

i've never had it done, but i've had a number of patients who have.  almost all are extremely happy that they had the procedure.  i've always heard the first two weeks post op are very uncomfortable, and that physical therapy can be a challenge, (but it needs to be taken seriously).  after that, mostly smooth sailing.  

the only thing i can advise on is to make sure to take antibiotic premed before dental appointments.  depending on the surgeon, they'll have you do it for 2 years, 7 years or forever.  we even have one orthopedic surgeon as a patient that refuses to take it, saying it does nothing.  that being said, i would absolutely take it.

42 minutes ago, teef said:

i've never had it done, but i've had a number of patients who have.  almost all are extremely happy that they had the procedure.  i've always heard the first two weeks post op are very uncomfortable, and that physical therapy can be a challenge, (but it needs to be taken seriously).  after that, mostly smooth sailing.  

the only thing i can advise on is to make sure to take antibiotic premed before dental appointments.  depending on the surgeon, they'll have you do it for 2 years, 7 years or forever.  we even have one orthopedic surgeon as a patient that refuses to take it, saying it does nothing.  that being said, i would absolutely take it.

In Jan 2015 the ADA revised it guidelines and said that prophylactic antibiotics are not recommended prior to dental procedures and only certain subpopulations should take them as a precaution. I stopped taking them - I think antibiotics are way overused.... 

23 hours ago, row_33 said:

she read that both could be done at once, and had a pipedream about it, i knew there was no point in arguing with her

her surgeon said "not a hope of doing this" at her age, which shut down that silliness

they were done a few months apart, she had to practically guarantee she'd get the other one because the first would not be a pleasant time

?You said pretty much the exact same thing in my thread about having both knees done at the same time a few months ago.

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

?You said pretty much the exact same thing in my thread about having both knees done at the same time a few months ago.

truth can always be moved into the next repeat of a thread

for medical concerns it's okay to open up a new version of a done-to-death already topic and get the same old answers  :D

and i'll repeat the same story for the next 13 times people have a concern about a knee replacement, i hope that's okay with you?

Edited by row_33

2 hours ago, The Avenger said:

In Jan 2015 the ADA revised it guidelines and said that prophylactic antibiotics are not recommended prior to dental procedures and only certain subpopulations should take them as a precaution. I stopped taking them - I think antibiotics are way overused.... 

correct!  it has been very dialed back in concerns to antibiotics.  at one point we were doing it for all heart murmurs, then just murmurs that show regurgitation, now none at all.  stents are no longer,  and i will do it for someone that's had sbe in the past, but that's rare.

then there's prosthetics.  i personally leave it up to the surgeon.  mostly as a courtesy, but a lot of cover your ass situation.  even recently we had a patient with a recent knee replacement, and she stated they never said anything to her about the premed.   we called the ortho office, and the nurse just chuckled and said of course she should.  i know what a nightmare an infected joint can bring, so we'd rather just give one large dose and call it a day.  it seems anytime someone get an infected joint or sbe, the first thing a hospital will do is ask the patient if they been to the dentist.  if the answer is yes, the second is did you premed.  it's still part of the narrative, so we still follow through with it.  time will change that more than likely.

Edited by teef

2 hours ago, The Avenger said:

i only use bacterial antibiotics when required, is that okay for your narrative?

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

truth can always be moved into the next repeat of a thread

for medical concerns it's okay to open up a new version of a done-to-death already topic and get the same old answers  :D

and i'll repeat the same story for the next 13 times people have a concern about a knee replacement, i hope that's okay with you?

Of course it's okay. I'm sure I've repeated myself in more than one thread on more than one occasion. 

29 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Of course it's okay. I'm sure I've repeated myself in more than one thread on more than one occasion. 

we try our best, nice to be helpful on here on occasion  :D

• Like (+1) 1

Had my left knee done 1 year ago. I was walking (with a walker) day one. Do not mess with your PT. Do it regularly and religiously. You will be very happy if you do.

Depending on the joint which was used, you may experience the "clicking" referred to earlier up-thread. I do. It can be annoying but becomes just background noise after awhile. 

I had a complication informally called "patella clunk" or sometimes "patella crunch".  Google it. This can happen in about 4% of patients, again depending on the  joint used.  It usually shows-up 3-6 months after surgery and can be (and in my case, was) eliminated by a scope procedure. 

I never took one pain killer afterwards. No drugs, My surgeon uses what I describe as a ball/pump which delivers painkiller directly to the wound via a small tube. IIRC, it lasted about a week before the pain killer was all used up. It's too late now for you to have but for anyone else reading this who may have to get at TKR, I'd HIGHLY recommend that you explore this option with your surgeon/anesthesiologist.  

I also had 2 weeks of in-home PT visits by a combo nurse/physical therapist. He checked the incision, removed the staples and the pain pump tube all during this time. He also helped with rehab and exercises during that time. 

Hope this helps and Good luck!!!

• Like (+1) 1

6 days in, I'm doing well. Only pain is soreness in thigh. Need a walker but putting full weight on leg since Thursday. Range of motion just shy of 90 degrees. Doc said not to go beyond that right now.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2