My biggest fear about the Bills this season is the number of new players.

For me barring an injury to Allen, it is playoffs or bust this year. Three years is plenty of time and they have no excuses. This is their roster now. If they can’t get the team to gel then it is the coaches fault and they need to go. 

That said, 8-8 or better and Pegula will bring them back. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, tomur67 said:

How long will it take for the Bills' coaching staff to get this team to jell?  With so many new players from trades, free agency, and the draft  can we expect that all these moving parts will operate together at the level they need to compete?   We know they have talent,  but will it take more than a few months to get this talent to win? 

From what I have seen so far from McBeane, they are looking for talented players that fit their mold. If that is the case and they did their homework, which seems to be what they excel in, I would expect to see everyone "jell" by week 3 and hit their stride for greatness by week 6. Lineman are use to rotation and new players surrounding them. Here I would say by week 2 or 3, its the receiving that will really pick up momentum between weeks 3 - 6.

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

For me barring an injury to Allen, it is playoffs or bust this year. Three years is plenty of time and they have no excuses. This is their roster now. If they can’t get the team to gel then it is the coaches fault and they need to go. 

That said, 8-8 or better and Pegula will bring them back. 

To me it's always been a 4 year rebuild. Two years to tear down the roster and fix the salary cap and two years to build up the talent and leadership structure. 

Right now I think this thing is running on schedule in year 3. I think we are all kind of expecting 8-8 this year, but that isn't what they are building towards...

The encouraging thing to me is knowing that Brandon Beane is starting to look at franchise changing trades that will most likely cost us a first round pick. That's a telling sign that they feel that they are getting there.

Apart from just gelling on the field in terms of the pure football side of it, I'm also worried about the overall team chemistry part--I hope they genuinely like/trust each other enough to be able to overcome adversity (not if, but when it strikes); team cohesion can't be forced by the coaching staff, imho, and there's no substitute for the time that takes together. But I think Josh reaching out to all of the new FA's and draft picks so quickly at the times they were acquired, in real time is a great sign that he understands those needs as much as anyone, and is doing what he can about it.   

11 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

My biggest fear about the bills this season is ________________________________________.

young players

old players

too many players

not enough players

players that are too accomplished

too many rookies

players that haven't achieved anything

players that go boating in the summer

players that only work out in the summer

players that have been on the team too long

players that are too new

players from the Panthers

players from the Pats (why would they release them?!)

players drafted by Whaley

players that don't want to be here

players that want to be here too much

players that don't shake jim kelly's hand

players that don't say enough funny things when they're mic'd up

players that we traded away and have come back again

players with a lot of injuries 

players with a suspicious absence of injuries

not enough captains

too many captains

captains that we name each week to antagonize our opponents

guys with good 40 times

short receivers

short QBs

lineman that can't pass protect

lineman that can't run block

running backs that dance at the line

coaches that throw too much

coaches that run too much

running on 1st down

passing on 1st down

not taking enough shots down field

not committing to our run game

Players that can't find their helmet during the Superbowl

Players with complicated names

Players that aren't blue collar

Players that are too blue collar

Players that want to move the team to Toronto

Players with turf toe

Players that wont go to OTAs

Dropped passes

Coaches that think playing football is tough

Not going for it on 4th and short

Going for it on 4th and short

Coaches that decide to punt in the last 3 or 4 minutes of the game while losing

QB's that run too much

QB's that don't run enough

People that say Buffalo is to cold

When the media doesn't talk about the Bills

When the media talks too much about the Bills

and the greatest fear of all....                                        Not listed high enough on the power rankings!!!

• Like (+1) 2

I agree with the others who've said the OL is the most important thing to bring together, and hopefully they can identify their starting five by the third pre-season game. Last season they were still tinkering with the lineup going in to Week One. I'm confident that they'll get it right, though. Having Morse is a huge factor. It's almost a given that Dawkins will be the LT. I expect Ford to win the RT job and it looks like Long and Spain will be the starting guards. I'm sure they're going to give everyone a chance to compete but if someone starts to emerge as a clear cut starter, let him run with it, don't go back and forth swapping out different players just because you feel like you have to keep up the competition. 

As for the rest of the offense, I feel like they don't have anywhere to go but up. They don't have to worry about a QB competition and both the QB and OC are headed into their second year together with Daboll allowing Allen more control over the offense. The new receiver additions are veteran guys, they know how this stuff works and I don't think it'll be a huge problem for them to get on the same page relatively quickly. Run game should get better if the OL is better. TE is an interesting spot right now with Kroft as the projected TE1 being out, I'm sure Knox will have a lot of opportunities to contend for playing time. 

The defense should be able to pick up where they left off, Edmunds will be more comfortable, the secondary is maybe the strongest overall unit on the team. White, and then either Wallace or K. Johnson on the other side, I really like Taron Johnson in the nickel spot and Poyer and Hyde are very good players. And if a CB goes down, they'll have solid depth with either Wallace/K. Johnson as the main backup CB and EJ Gaines able to come in and play inside or outside. Bush, Jaquan Johnson, and Siran Neal probably make up the safety depth. Overall, it just looks like it should be a really solid group.

I didn't read the entire thread so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned special teams but that's an area that really needs to improve and I think they did enough to address it so I would hope we see some strides there. 

Just don't wind up on the losing end of anymore blowouts, those are some real skidmarks on McDermott's HC career so far. 

Edited by blacklabel

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Definitely not new on Defense.  Oliver will be new and CB May be. Otherwise, same guys, same coaches, same scheme.

Offense REQUIRED a redo.

Well yes...a work in process.

Here is my thought... Don't these coaches and players make a bundle of money?  When you coach/play at this level, it is expected that you have the skills and expertise to make it all work.  I see no sign that Sean Mc does not have the stones to fire or sit or trade something/someone if it is not working.

June 5th seems kinda early to worry about this as a fan.  Now if this is still a problem in August...... 

Edited by Iraq Vet

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I agree with the others who've said the OL is the most important thing to bring together, and hopefully they can identify their starting five by the third pre-season game. Last season they were still tinkering with the lineup going in to Week One. I'm confident that they'll get it right, though. Having Morse is a huge factor. It's almost a given that Dawkins will be the LT. I expect Ford to win the RT job and it looks like Long and Spain will be the starting guards. I'm sure they're going to give everyone a chance to compete but if someone starts to emerge as a clear cut starter, let him run with it, don't go back and forth swapping out different players just because you feel like you have to keep up the competition. 

As for the rest of the offense, I feel like they don't have anywhere to go but up. They don't have to worry about a QB competition and both the QB and OC are headed into their second year together with Daboll allowing Allen more control over the offense. The new receiver additions are veteran guys, they know how this stuff works and I don't think it'll be a huge problem for them to get on the same page relatively quickly. Run game should get better if the OL is better. TE is an interesting spot right now with Kroft as the projected TE1 being out, I'm sure Knox will have a lot of opportunities to contend for playing time. 

The defense should be able to pick up where they left off, Edmunds will be more comfortable, the secondary is maybe the strongest overall unit on the team. White, and then either Wallace or K. Johnson on the other side, I really like Taron Johnson in the nickel spot and Poyer and Hyde are very good players. And if a CB goes down, they'll have solid depth with either Wallace/K. Johnson as the main backup CB and EJ Gaines able to come in and play inside or outside. Bush, Jaquan Johnson, and Siran Neal probably make up the safety depth. Overall, it just looks like it should be a really solid group.

I didn't read the entire thread so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned special teams but that's an area that really needs to improve and I think they did enough to address it so I would hope we see some strides there. 

Just don't wind up on the losing end of anymore blowouts, those are some real skidmarks on McDermott's HC career so far. 

Just on the teams front - punter should be better.. schmidt and co. were worse than bojorquez.  Hauschka is back.  Huge upgrade at returner with Roberts at both KR and PR.  

Core team's players in general were all over the place.  Senorise perry has a legit spot to make this team in place of yeldon or dimarco IMO.  Backup safeties and corners need to be able to contribute snaps on special teams as well.  

Biggest change - no crossman.  New guy has his work cut out for him... but he's not crossman so he's probably an upgrade.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think if you're looking for them to win this season, you might have the wrong mindset. I think absolute best case we have a 2016-esque season. If this team ends up being good I don't see them ready to really compete until 2021, or year 5 of the rebuild. As of today the only star we have in their prime is White. Hopefully a couple come into that role this year, including Allen, Edmunds and one of Zay or Foster. We also need some of the new faces to flash that potential. If we get several, we could accelerate the close of the rebuild by next year, but I think 2 more years is more realistic.

Yup. This is exactly right. 

14 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think if you're looking for them to win this season, you might have the wrong mindset. I think absolute best case we have a 2016-esque season. If this team ends up being good I don't see them ready to really compete until 2021, or year 5 of the rebuild. As of today the only star we have in their prime is White. Hopefully a couple come into that role this year, including Allen, Edmunds and one of Zay or Foster. We also need some of the new faces to flash that potential. If we get several, we could accelerate the close of the rebuild by next year, but I think 2 more years is more realistic.

seriously, 2 more seasons before they win? Why do Buffalo sports fans do this....never expect to win for a few more seasons....working out well for the sabres...Bills have a decent group of vets on this team...will be a huge disappointment if this team wins 6-7 games

• Like (+1) 4

The D will handle that...not to worry.  The O is reinventing itself with new guys (mostly) and your concern is correct here.  And, special teams....well, we will see if the new coach can really do the job....the jury is out on him.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

seriously, 2 more seasons before they win? Why do Buffalo sports fans do this....never expect to win for a few more seasons....working out well for the sabres...Bills have a decent group of vets on this team...will be a huge disappointment if this team wins 6-7 games

Indeed! Superbowl-bound among the favorites? Nope, not yet. But winning season, playoffs? Totally doable THIS year, for sure! Of course, injuries, bad luck, sub par season by a few key players, all that can derail the wagon, and it's not a do or die season. But perfectly fine to aim for the playoffs.

Too many defeatists people, and too many think since it was 6-10 last year, well 8-8 is good. Was it fine to settle for 6-10 after a playoff game just the year before? Teams go 6-10 to 10-6 all the time.  Bills can do it too.

And if Allen pans out, with the way many of the contracts are structured to free up money in 2021 and 2022, lots of cap space again in 2020, all the additions this year, Josh looking like the real deal, it's not pure hope but realistic hope to dream of a winning season NOW and being among the top teams in the coming years!

1 hour ago, nucci said:

There's no reason this team can't make the playoffs this year.  Win 4 in the division - then Cincy, NYG, TN, Wash, Den, and 1 of Dal/Balt/Pit

Thats 10 wins.  And assumes losses to Philly, Cle, 2 to NE, and 2 to dal/balt/pit.  

• Thank you (+1) 2