My biggest fear about the Bills this season is the number of new players.

How long will it take for the Bills' coaching staff to get this team to jell?  With so many new players from trades, free agency, and the draft  can we expect that all these moving parts will operate together at the level they need to compete?   We know they have talent,  but will it take more than a few months to get this talent to win? 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

How long will it take for the Bills' coaching staff to get this team to jell?  With so many new players from trades, free agency, and the draft  can we expect that all these moving parts will operate together at the level they need to compete?   We know they have talent,  but will it take more than a few months to get this talent to win? 

I think if you're looking for them to win this season, you might have the wrong mindset. I think absolute best case we have a 2016-esque season. If this team ends up being good I don't see them ready to really compete until 2021, or year 5 of the rebuild. As of today the only star we have in their prime is White. Hopefully a couple come into that role this year, including Allen, Edmunds and one of Zay or Foster. We also need some of the new faces to flash that potential. If we get several, we could accelerate the close of the rebuild by next year, but I think 2 more years is more realistic.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

They need to identify who starts where on the OLine early and give them time to jell together. WR’s, TE’s, etc I’m slightly less worried about. We need a solid OLine to make everything else look better. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Don't worry my friend after we destroy the Jets in week 1 all of your fears will diminish.  We will march through the season picking them off one by one. By week 7 we will be the only undefeated team and number 1 in the power rankings. We will destroy the Cowgirls on Thanksgiving Day making your turkey dinner the best you ever had. By week 12 we will have the division locked up and by week 14 we will have home-field advantage through out the playoffs locked up. A blizzard will hit Buffalo as we play the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game. Propelling us to the Super Bowl favored by yes 2 touchdowns where we will destroy the Rams 48 to 3.

Edited by ALLEN1QB
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The defense is largely intact, so there should be no drop off on that side of the ball. 

The offense was atrocious last year, so the major changes were absolutely necessary. It will take time for the o-line to gel and the offense to come together as a whole.  

These upgrades to the oline line and receiving core will pay off this season, even if it doesn’t look that way week 1. 

• Like (+1) 2

This is where the four preseason games the NFL is looking at changing is a good thing.  The Jets and Giants also had a lot of roster turnover on offense.  Not quite what we did, but they may take some time to gel also so I like playing them the first two weeks.

• Like (+1) 2

I think offensive line is the main area where turnover is going to be a huge issue, and the offensive line can't be worse than last season.  Yes, there are new receivers, but they are likely to be two primary holdovers that will give Josh Allen something of a security blanket in Foster and Jones.  If Allen can't develop some quick chemistry with Brown and Beasley, and whoever else is playing receiver, then a lot of passes will be going to Foster and Jones.  Tight end also has turnover, but Croom could stick around as a holdover.  Josh Allen also seems to be developing some early chemistry with Dawson Knox.  That could turn into something special with Knox's athleticism.

On defense, the Bills have a pretty normal level of turnover - no more than 2 starters  Oliver at 3 tech and possibly Kevin Johnson at CB across from Tre White.  Both could end up being talent upgrades.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Don't worry my friend after we destroy the Jets in week 1 all of your fears will diminish.  We will march through the season picking them off one by one. By week 7 we will be the only undefeated team and number 1 in the power rankings. We will destroy the Cowgirls on Thanksgiving Day making your turkey dinner the best you ever had. By week 12 we will have the division locked up and by week 14 we will have home-field advantage through out the playoffs locked up. A blizzard will hit Buffalo as we play the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game. Propelling us to the Super Bowl favored by yes 2 touchdowns where we will destroy the St Louis Rams 48 to 3.

wow, there’s something very, very wrong with this post......

... it’s the L.A. Rams, not St Louis!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

They need to identify who starts where on the OLine early and give them time to gel together. WR’s, TE’s, etc I’m slightly less worried about. We need a solid OLine to make everything else look better. 

This!!!!

All Day!!!!

No running game and JA forced to play Sandlot football.

JA, even under those abysmal protection circumstances, still kept his eyes down field and actually hit some beautiful passes. Passes we haven’t believed most of our previous QBs would attempt , much less make.

Unfortunately , way to many were dropped. 

Given competent blocking the RBs should be a yard better on average. The receivers will actually have time to run their routes. JA will have a second or dare I say more than last year, per play, on average before he has to pull the trigger.

I can’t wait to see this O-Line!!!!!

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think if you're looking for them to win this season, you might have the wrong mindset. I think absolute best case we have a 2016-esque season. If this team ends up being good I don't see them ready to really compete until 2021, or year 5 of the rebuild. As of today the only star we have in their prime is White. Hopefully a couple come into that role this year, including Allen, Edmunds and one of Zay or Foster. We also need some of the new faces to flash that potential. If we get several, we could accelerate the close of the rebuild by next year, but I think 2 more years is more realistic.

A 5 year rebuild is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I’ll be honest, this might be the most care free I have been in a long time.  I have no clue if we will win 4 games or 14 games, but I’m willing to bet that it’s gonna be a fun ride regardless.  One thing I’m confident in with Allen is that if he’s going to go down, he’s going down swinging.  And that alone will be entertainment.  And football is really just entertainment if you think about it.  And after years of tyrod, Trent, etc, I’ll take the gunslinger who makes it fun over the play it safe qb.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The off-season has been very fun, but in reality, teams that are this active during FA rarely are very successful. Said another way, any success we have won’t be due to players we have added, but rather how well Allen has progressed. 

4 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

The off-season has been very fun, but in reality, teams that are this active during FA rarely are very successful. Said another way,   any success we have won’t be due to players we have added, but rather how well Allen has progressed. 

We will need BOTH to have any pleasant level of success. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

A 5 year rebuild is ridiculous.

That may be so, but it's the most likely  thing to occur. Who do they have right now that makes you think they can compete with the Patriots, Chiefs, Rams, Eagles, or some of the up and comers? We are extremely far behind the good teams in the league so far. It doesn't mean they aren't getting there though. If you want to put money on the Bills winning the SB this year or next year, I'll beat Vegas' line.

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

We will need BOTH to have any pleasant level of success. 

Yup.

Rivers is a great QB, and so is Luck. How have they fared thus far?

• Like (+1) 1

My biggest fear about the bills this season is ________________________________________.

young players

old players

too many players

not enough players

players that are too accomplished

too many rookies

players that haven't achieved anything

players that go boating in the summer

players that only work out in the summer

players that have been on the team too long

players that are too new

players from the Panthers

players from the Pats (why would they release them?!)

players drafted by Whaley

players that don't want to be here

players that want to be here too much

players that don't shake jim kelly's hand

players that don't say enough funny things when they're mic'd up

players that we traded away and have come back again

players with a lot of injuries 

players with a suspicious absence of injuries

not enough captains

too many captains

captains that we name each week to antagonize our opponents

guys with good 40 times

short receivers

short QBs

lineman that can't pass protect

lineman that can't run block

running backs that dance at the line

coaches that throw too much

coaches that run too much

running on 1st down

passing on 1st down

not taking enough shots down field

not committing to our run game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, tomur67 said:

rookie camp, players working out together in off season, ota's, minicamp, training camp, 4 preseason games, then another over one week to prepare for opener.

That is much more than a few months. I think they will be fine.

• Like (+1) 1