What's Your "Go-To" Dish to Cook?

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Met my wife and had our kids on Hilton Head. Going back later this month, and the Lowcountry boil is on the must have list. That, along with the good old fashion oyster roast  with family and friends (with a big cooler) was always something to look forward to! Simple, delicious and a great time for all. 

Just spent a week there with the family in May. I churned this out on the last night. Super easy and fun, also best meal of the trip! 

901F801B-F0B7-4EFA-9B47-5FCF5BBA6F07.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

The Christmas before we got married in February I gave my wife a gas grill. You’d have thought it was a friggin’ vacuum cleaner (OK, it was almost as bad). I explained she would never have to use my gift to her, because every time we (a/k/a I) grilled she got the night off from cooking. 

Decades later, and I do 99.9% of the cooking. You make it work. 

Hmmmm....you're a lucky guy.  I wouldn't have the guts to do that before we got married although doing it a couple of months in advance is smart as the invitations probably already went out.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You gave your wife a XMas gift for yourself in February and she still married you :)  My wife got mad when I didn't get her something on mother's day BEFORE we had kids.

It’s actually worse than that! Hard to imagine, I know! 

On Christmas Eve we met at my parents, along with a very handy freind of mine. We skipped out “briefly”  to go put this grill together not even a mile away at the place where we would be living together after they marriage. Grills are not that easy to assemble, and the beer didn’t help. Hours went by, as she sat with my parents. Hours are nothing compared to the 3 plus decades she has never had to go near a grill. 

• Like (+1) 1

Back to the topic, for me it’s anything in the smoker or just good ole fashioned steaks. From the smoker, I’m pretty good with the standard items: pork butt, brisket, ribs, etc. Less regularly I’ll do salmon or wings. One thing I’ll do from time to time that always is a big hit, is burgers in the smoker. Got the basic idea from a bbq cookbook but then tweaked it with my own rub and ingredients. 80/20 ground chuck, make your own patties with diced onion, jalapeño, green & Anaheim peppers mixed into the meat. After they’re all made, rub each liberally with dry rub. Throw em in the smoker for an hour or two with some hickory or fruit wood. Throw some cheese on, let em go another 5-10 and there ya have it. Not completely original but got my method down to a science and they always turn out great. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Hmmmm....you're a lucky guy.  I wouldn't have the guts to do that before we got married although doing it a couple of months in advance is smart as the invitations probably already went out.

It’s not guts.....I’m just stupid! 

But so far it’s worked out. It will be 35 years in February. 

(She’s generally a much better decision maker. Go figure!) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

It’s not guts.....I’m just stupid! 

But so far it’s worked out. It will be 35 years in February. 

(She’s generally a much better decision maker. Go figure!) 

Congrats.  You should get her a new grill.

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Congrats.  You should get her a new grill.

She wants a new grill every winter when the prices go down. This Bad Boy Grill still works just fine. She will replace burners and starters. I just use a lighter and cook around the uneven burners. 

I think there is a reason she is still gainfully employed while I walk the dog and hang out at the park daily. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 part basmati rice

2 parts water

throw in whatever seasoning you like into the rice cooker and press start

by the end of the 30 minutes or so you can come up with something else to add

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, row_33 said:

1 part basmati rice

2 parts water

throw in whatever seasoning you like into the rice cooker and press start

by the end of the 30 minutes or so you can come up with something else to add

If I am in a hurry I will boil some rice then stir in some BBQ sauce.  Warm dinner real quick that is not bland.  Kind of kicked Stove Top stuffing to the curb not that ST is that good anymore.  Must have changed the recipe.

Edited by RochesterRob

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If I am in a hurry I will boil some rice then stir in some BBQ sauce.  Warm dinner real quick that is not bland.  Kind of kicked Stove Top stuffing to the curb not that ST is that good anymore.  Must have changed the recipe.

the rice cooker has been one of the greatest things brought home

19 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

Sous vide steak seared in a carbon steel pan and seared on the edges with a blowtorch.

Mushroom Risotto with gruyere cheese.

Prosciutto wrapped asparagus.

tomahawk2.jpg

meal.jpg

I’ll be over for dinner tonight .... Ok if I bring a few TSW friends?

I do not have many dishes which fit the OPs complete requirements.  I make chili without a shred of a recipe but no one really eats that but me so few compliments. General meat cookery I do not need a recipe.

I have a few go to deal closers that are tried and true.  Braised short ribs and risotto is the perfect deal closer.  Can make the braise the night before meaning less work when you should be entertaining a guest, a pressure cooker shortens the risotto process but she can still stir it at the end and "help", then reduce the braising liquid into a nice sauce.   

Pairs nicely with too much wine, always a show stopper, hard to f@#$ up.  

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I do not have many dishes which fit the OPs complete requirements.  I make chili without a shred of a recipe but no one really eats that but me so few compliments. General meat cookery I do not need a recipe.

I have a few go to deal closers that are tried and true.  Braised short ribs and risotto is the perfect deal closer.  Can make the braise the night before meaning less work when you should be entertaining a guest, a pressure cooker shortens the risotto process but she can still stir it at the end and "help", then reduce the braising liquid into a nice sauce.   

Pairs nicely with too much wine, always a show stopper, hard to f@#$ up.  

When you say your short ribs are a “deal closer,” does that mean that they make the panties drop?