What's Your "Go-To" Dish to Cook?

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ok, because no one was being an ass, I'll get it out of the way:

1-800-grubhub

?

That's not a go-to, it's a bring to. ?

The smart-ass response you're looking for is, "Reservations," as in, "What's my sister's favorite thing to make for dinner?"

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That's not a go-to, it's a bring to. ?

The smart-ass response you're looking for is, "Reservations," as in, "What's my sister's favorite thing to make for dinner?"

Yep, on the other side of that equation. For THEM it’s a go to! 

Had a house warming dinner at a friends new place Sunday. Still largely in boxes, so we ordered out for the 8 of us. They decided on Cheesecake Factory so it took a couple hours for all of us to sit down at the laptop and scroll thru their menu that rivals War and Peace. We ate.............eventually. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I still don't have a name for it yet...?

Ingredients
  • 1 box (16 oz) rotini pasta
  • 1/3 cup dill pickle juice (from the pickle jar)
  • 2 cups chopped baby dill pickles
  • 1 block (8 oz) Colby Jack cheese, cubed small
  • 1 small white onion, finely chopped
Creamy Dill Dressing
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Instructions
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Don't forget to add some salt to the boiling water before adding the pasta. I add about 1 teaspoon, give or take.

2. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Add 1/3 cup of the pickle juice to the drained and rinsed pasta and let it sit while you prepare the rest.

(Move the pasta from the colander into a mixing bowl and then add the pickle juice)

3. Chop the dill pickles, and cheese into small cubes/pieces. Finely chop the white onion.

4. Drain the pasta again that was sitting in the pickle juice. Add it to a large bowl along with the chopped pickles, cheese, and white onion.

5. In small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and pour over the pasta salad. Stir everything together to combine well. Salad can be eaten right away but I prefer it cold, and if you do too, then cover it and refrigerate it for 1-2 hours.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

A spatchcocked, roast chicken is so easy to pull off and in my experience people are mesmerized to eat poultry that isn't dryer than sawdust.  I cut the backbone out, lay it flat, and roast at 500 until breast meat is 155-160 and legs reading around 165-170.

The best thing about this method is that whenever someone gets in your way whilst cooking, you can say, "Get out of the way, spatchcock blocker!!"

41 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Ingredients
Creamy Dill Dressing
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Instructions
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Don't forget to add some salt to the boiling water before adding the pasta. I add about 1 teaspoon, give or take.

2. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Add 1/3 cup of the pickle juice to the drained and rinsed pasta and let it sit while you prepare the rest.

(Move the pasta from the colander into a mixing bowl and then add the pickle juice)

3. Chop the dill pickles, and cheese into small cubes/pieces. Finely chop the white onion.

4. Drain the pasta again that was sitting in the pickle juice. Add it to a large bowl along with the chopped pickles, cheese, and white onion.

5. In small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and pour over the pasta salad. Stir everything together to combine well. Salad can be eaten right away but I prefer it cold, and if you do too, then cover it and refrigerate it for 1-2 hours.

I have a name for it: "Cut and Paste". And this is too busy anyways.

47 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Ingredients
Creamy Dill Dressing
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Instructions

Picnic reattata?  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Going by the conditions given by the OP it would have to be beef stew.  Heavy on the onion and garlic.  Braise the beef and simmer 1.5-2 hours in liquid but not boil off any broth.  Gravy thick enough not to readily soak through a slice of bread.  My coleslaw and potato salad draw a lot of compliments.  Sweet onion is the key as it provides a natural sugary taste to the slaw and salad.  Green pepper and cucumber chunks (small) in the potato salad make for a garden salad type experience.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Oven roasted chicken.

Ingredients:

Chicken

half a stick of butter

one large lemon.

Roll lemon on counter until softened, puncture repeatedly with knife. Stuff in chicken cavity. Insert in oven. Roast at 375 until delicious and golden brown. Serve with brown rice and broccoli or some other green veg. Butter's for melting, I melt it and put on skin before roasting. Can be done without it, but...ya know, butter.

Good God if you went to San Diego you'd have been the lemon and the chicken.

I don't do much cooking.  I prefer the eating aspect and luckily my wife likes to cook.

However, I will grill in the summer.  Grilled pork chops marinated in Italian dressing for 12 hours or so, cheeseburgers w/onion salt and cheddar cheese, Italian sausage w/ peppers and onions, and chicken thighs that have been marinated in Chiavetta's sauce the previously 24 hours.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't do much cooking.  I prefer the eating aspect and luckily my wife likes to cook.

However, I will grill in the summer.  Grilled pork chops marinated in Italian dressing for 12 hours or so, cheeseburgers w/onion salt and cheddar cheese, Italian sausage w/ peppers and onions, and chicken thighs that have been marinated in Chiavetta's sauce the previously 24 hours.

The Christmas before we got married in February I gave my wife a gas grill. You’d have thought it was a friggin’ vacuum cleaner (OK, it was almost as bad). I explained she would never have to use my gift to her, because every time we (a/k/a I) grilled she got the night off from cooking. 

Decades later, and I do 99.9% of the cooking. You make it work. 

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

That's a lot of red meat! 

Beer is actually my dinner.  I just have a couple forks full of the food each night.  I'm balanced, man.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1