What's Your "Go-To" Dish to Cook?

Just now, Augie said:

Tonight is blackened salmon with a crispy skin and mango salsa (cubed mango, red pepper, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño and lime juice).

The wife’s favorite is simply bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs over high indirect heat on top rack (to avoid flare-ups) on the grill with ample salt and pepper. Let it sit there about an hour - it’s hard to ruin with the dark meat and bone-in. Gets a super crispy skin and for some reason people go on and on about it. I don’t get it.....steam some veggies and you have a super easy  meal.

Crispy is a theme in our house. 

Chicken thighs on the grill are a summer-long staple at my house.  I do boneless/skinless.

I season them with Adobo and Old Bay, spray them with cooking spray.

Crisp both sides over the fire.

Then move them over to finish with indirect heat.

I usually finish them off by brushing BBQ sauce on them about 20 minutes before removing them so it's nice, hot and sticky.

SO EFFING GOOD.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Chicken thighs on the grill are a summer-long staple at my house.  I do boneless/skinless.

I usually finish them off by brushing BBQ sauce on them about 20 minutes before removing them so it's nice, hot and sticky.

SO EFFING GOOD.

I do something similar, but a tad different. Marinate the BL/SL thighs overnight in a rub of curry, chili powder of your choice, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Get em seared on the grill, then remove from direct heat and repeatedly brush with bbq sauce of your choosing.

Love me some chx.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

SO EFFING GOOD.

My wife kinda sucks at cooking.  When she told me yesterday that she had found a recipe for chicken thighs I cringed.

She baked them on high heat stuffed with choppped onions, halved cherry tomatoes, and some type of herb.  Seasoned with salt and pepper.  They were actually pretty good.  Nice crispy skin and moist inside.

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This week's menu at home:

Philly cheesesteaks

Spag and balls

Meatloaf

Burritos/soft tacos

Burgs and dogs

i need to help you slow your roll on the red meat.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

i need to help you slow your roll on the red meat.

We usually have more chicken/pork. This is just one of those "lots o' beef" weeks.

Edited by Gugny

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

We usually have more chicken/pork. This is just one of those "lots o' beef" weeks.

i had one of those recently.  i just want you to be alive long enough to get attacked by a pit bull.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Low Country Boil.

Easy, good outdoor fun, or indoor in the winter.

Simple ingredients:

Potatoes/sausage/ corn on cob/shrimp/onion/lemon in Old Bay seasoning.

There are others I do that are more complicated, but I've never lost on this one.

Met my wife and had our kids on Hilton Head. Going back later this month, and the Lowcountry boil is on the must have list. That, along with the good old fashion oyster roast  with family and friends (with a big cooler) was always something to look forward to! Simple, delicious and a great time for all. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, teef said:

i had one of those recently.  i just want you to be alive long enough to get attacked by a pit bull.

That is truly heart warming that you care so deeply! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Oven roasted chicken.

Ingredients:

Chicken

half a stick of butter

one large lemon.

Roll lemon on counter until softened, puncture repeatedly with knife. Stuff in chicken cavity. Insert in oven. Roast at 375 until delicious and golden brown. Serve with brown rice and broccoli or some other green veg. Butter's for melting, I melt it and put on skin before roasting. Can be done without it, but...ya know, butter.

A spatchcocked, roast chicken is so easy to pull off and in my experience people are mesmerized to eat poultry that isn't dryer than sawdust.  I cut the backbone out, lay it flat, and roast at 500 until breast meat is 155-160 and legs reading around 165-170.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

A spatchcocked, roast chicken is so easy to pull off and in my experience people are mesmerized to eat poultry that isn't dryer than sawdust.  I cut the backbone out, lay it flat, and roast at 500 until breast meat is 155-160 and legs reading around 165-170.

This reminded me of one that may take a little more time, but is always a big hit. The first time I cut out the backbone was doing Bobby Flay’s Butterfly Greek chicken. I initially followed the full directions (as I almost always do the first time), then I just bought all my parts at the store. Anyway, it’s grilled chicken and veggies with a oregano/Dijon vinaigrette and feta, kalamata olives, grilled lemon juice, basil, etc. I doubt anybody will be upset if you take the time to make this. Outstanding presentation and taste.  Every time my sister visits she likes me to make it because her husband is talking about it before they leave Wisconsin. 

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

Met my wife and had our kids on Hilton Head. 

'Had our kids," is a bit of odd terminology in a cooking thread," but I got it.

If I didn't, hope they're OK and you stick with the low country boil.

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

'Had our kids," is a bit of odd terminology in a cooking thread," but I got it.

If I didn't, hope they're OK and you stick with the low country boil.

I took Hansel and Gretel to a tailgate ....once. 

• Like (+1) 1