Kevin Johnson making strong push for #2 CB

This DB group is just stacked.  The safeties are a great tandem, and then the talent and depth at corner is insane. Tre, Levi, KJ, EJ, and Taron.   I doubt you find better talent from #1 corner to #5 anywhere else in the league.  Obviously a couple of those guys carry the “injury prone” tag so hopefully we can find the next Levi Wallace to stash on the PS when one or two goes down.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm with you and I loved the Bills DLine in that period. But Malik Jackson, Ware, Von Miller, Sylvester Williams, Derek Wolfe, Shane Ray... they had waves of talented dlinemen and rushers.

He actually had a good rookie year. It is since then it has all gone a bit wrong for him. My nervousness about giving him the job if it is in any way close between he and Levi is that he is a 1 and done player in Buffalo if he performs because we will not pay him to keep him with one eye on paying Tre down the line. If you relegate Levi to a backup spot for a year how does that affect his longer term development?

My ideal is that Tre and Levi start, Johnson is the primary boundary backup with EJ Gaines and the secondary boundary backup and then Taron starts in the slot with EJ Gaines as the primary option in that role (he played some nickel to a pretty decent level with the Rams). That to me gives you a very strong top 5 and then you keep a 6th guy who is a slot corner / safety hybrid / special teamer..... that might be the only spot on the roster Siran Neal has a realistic shot at right now if he is making the 53.

I have virtually no concerns about the corner position. Whether it be Wallace, Gaines, or KJ, someone will step up as the number 2 and the rest will provide solid depth. Johnson is terrific in the slot. I guess we could probably use a BACKUP slot corner, but that's getting a bit greedy. Even if something goes wrong, McD could probably snag another Ryan Lewis and get a few solid games out of some PS player.

I'm a little more concerned at safety. Hyde and Poyer are both SOLID, but neither bring much to the LOS. My hope is that Neal or J Johnson can earn some time in the big safety/slot/hybrid role in RZ and specialty situations.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Johnson has the athletic ability to also play slot.  Having 2 slot corners would be nice. Watching safties getting toasted in 4 wrs sets isnt fun.  Playing 4 CBS on passing downs.

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

So imagine that Johnson and Trent Murphy go out and have career years and Oliver turns into an absolute beast along with Edmunds. They feed us this stuff every year and it's never all to come true. Still, 3 out of 4 would be really nice.

Johnson was already familiar with Bills defensive backs coach John Butler, who held the same role during Johnson’s first three seasons in Houston. And then there was the surprising warm welcome the 2015 first-round draft pick received from Bills starter Tre’Davious White.

“I was like, ‘Man, I’m happy you’re here because you remind me so much of myself,’” White said, recalling the first conversation he had shortly after Johnson signed a one-year deal with Buffalo in March. “I was like, ‘That’s what I need. I need somebody that’s going to push me in practice.’”

Though the two never played together or knew each other for that matter, White became a big fan after Johnson was selected by Houston with the 16th pick out of Wake Forest. White, then entering his junior season at LSU, was such a student of football he would study each of the top cornerback selections to see how he compared and what he needed to work on to improve his own game.

What stood out about Johnson was his remarkable footwork.

“His footwork is crazy. He has elite quickness, elite change of the direction,” White said. “It’s just unfortunate the injury stuff that he can’t control has shorted him up to this point and time. But when he’s on the field and he’s healthy, he’s a great, great corner. He’s going to be good for us.”

The sentiment is shared by Johnson, who is competing for the starting job opposite White, and attempting to kick-start a career after a series of injuries limited him to playing a combined 19 games in his past three seasons following a promising rookie year.

• Like (+1) 1

Morse and Johnson may end up being the best FA signings this year.

It's nice to not have all the eggs in one basket across from Tre Day. Wallace, Gaines and Johnson all have flashed.

And let's not forget Taron Johnson is here too.

being 5-6 deep at CB is a blessing. I hope K Johnson fits the system (ask J Norman what that is like) and the CB position is set.

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I’m still rooting for the Levi Wallace story, but I’ll take anything that means our one hole on defense is filled!

If you mean #2 CB as being the “one hole,” it was filled by Wallace.  Johnson should only be considered depth. 

Just now, Doc said:

If you mean #2 CB as being the “one hole,” it was filled by Wallace.  Johnson should only be considered depth. 

The story is that Wallace has been at the #2 spot all through the spring but that Johnson is pushing him 

Just now, Doc said:

Thats what I meant. 

I thjnk Wallace has a good chance to be the guy, but he does need to show out. He played well for a stretch, but he needs to go through an offseason as the guy and I like that Johnson is right behind him ready to take his job. Good teams don’t have starters in June, July, and August. They have competitions.

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The story is that Wallace has been at the #2 spot all through the spring but that Johnson is pushing him 

Yup. 

28 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Thats what I meant. 

I thjnk Wallace has a good chance to be the guy, but he does need to show out. He played well for a stretch, but he needs to go through an offseason as the guy and I like that Johnson is right behind him ready to take his job. Good teams don’t have starters in June, July, and August. They have competitions.

Wallace definitely needs to keep pushing himself. But as I said before, KJ is injury-prone and only here on a 1-year deal. Better to just develop Wallace if the competition is close either way. 

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup. 

Wallace definitely needs to keep pushing himself. But as I said before, KJ is injury-prone and only here on a 1-year deal. Better to just develop Wallace if the competition is close either way. 

Better to play the best player. Always. At every position. 

Injury prone players have gone on to have amazing careers and 1 year deals turn into 5 year deals all the time. I love Wallace, I always have. But if Johnson is a better player, I want him starting.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Better to play the best player. Always. At every position. 

Injury prone players have gone on to have amazing careers and 1 year deals turn into 5 year deals all the time. I love Wallace, I always have. But if Johnson is a better player, I want him starting.

agreed, and luckily McD feels the same way.

if KJ wins the starting spot, that doesnt stop the development of Wallace lol. Why do people think in such absolute ways? 

3 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

agreed, and luckily McD feels the same way.

if KJ wins the starting spot, that doesnt stop the development of Wallace lol. Why do people think in such absolute ways? 

Levi just turned 24 today.  Happy B-day.  He's young and still learning.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

....as an old fart, I love this stuff.....need to make "The Hat" a feared barn to come into.....how it was yesteryear......question was by "how much" versus the expected "W".....17 year drought made coming here like an effin' spa.....no more....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy