Kevin Johnson making strong push for #2 CB

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The bills 2014 unit allowed less ppg, had more sacks, more takeaways and a better 3rd down % than the 2015 broncos unit. Basically the only advantage that goes Denver would be total yds. 

That 2014 bills defense is one of the more underrated units in the last decade or so. It was easily a championship caliber defense. 

And completely destroyed by Rex in 2 seasons

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Our cornerbacks and secondary looks to be second to none. Teams may have a better 1-2 punch at corner but I’ll take our entire unit over anyone’s 

whens the last time you you could say that about a Bills unit league wide?

Someone mentioned dline

id venture more than a few years we were pretty highly ranked at cb 

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The bills 2014 unit allowed less ppg, had more sacks, more takeaways and a better 3rd down % than the 2015 broncos unit. Basically the only advantage that goes Denver would be total yds. 

That 2014 bills defense is one of the more underrated units in the last decade or so. It was easily a championship caliber defense. 

Total yards and championships.  It IS a stat.  The ONLY stat that matters to be quite frank. But be happy with the stats that no one will remember except a few Bill fans 

i remember how our season ended.  Giving up 26 points and 130 rushing yards to the lowly raiders 

Edited by NewEra

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Our cornerbacks and secondary looks to be second to none. Teams may have a better 1-2 punch at corner but I’ll take our entire unit over anyone’s 

whens the last time you you could say that about a Bills unit league wide?

2014 dline...  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Total yards and championships.  It IS a stat.  The ONLY stat that matters to be quite frank. But be happy with the stats that no one will remember except a few Bill fans 

i remember how our season ended.  Giving up 26 points and 130 rushing yards to the lowly raiders 

Holding Aaron Rodgers and Manning in back to back weeks without any touchdowns.

A 130 effin yards and 26 points? Saint dog and that douche should have done something but Fred was the only one who cared on that side of the ball. 

Dareus also was hurt early in his best year of his career.

If you'd like to actually discuss the game I'd be more than happy. Go Google some more crap.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

You keep moving the goal posts because your point is stupid.

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This is horribly inaccurate. 

That defense was 4th in points against, and 4th in total yds allowed. Not to mention 3rd in takeaways and 1st in 3rd down %. 

Good lord dude. 

Whaley built it. Nothing good happened between Kelly and McDermott to some clowns.

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

2018 OTA - Vontae Davis is likely to be the starting CB opposite White

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-otas-week-one

We would all be better off if reporters took a long vacation between the draft and training camp.

I think you should take a vacation.

10 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Making a push for a starting role...in June? 

Camp cannot start soon enough. 

The only difference here is that we’re not talking about an undrafted rookie , but a former 1st round pick who we all know can play , Now can he stay healthy? Will see , but if he can and I’m Levi Wallace I would be worried 

40 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You keep moving the goal posts because your point is stupid.

Whaley built it. Nothing good happened between Kelly and McDermott to some clowns.

I think you should take a vacation.

What point am I making?

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

What point am I making?

I don’t really know. I think it’s a lame one whatever it is though...  Production-wise the bills 2014 d was right on par with that broncos d. Actually better in most key stats. I do think the broncos unit was a bit more high octane with a better ability to totally put the clamps on somebody... But we never got to see the bills unit in the playoffs due to them be a lesser TEAM. I have no clue how somebody could sit here and say that wasn’t an elite level unit. Seems you are ripping on the couple bills fans that remember when maybe you should be educating yourself so you remember as well instead of cherry picking games to prove a sub-par point. 

1991 eagles defense was one of the best ever, talent-wise and numbers-wise and didn’t even make the postseason. I’m sure you’ll shoot that one down with some lame points about championships too..... team game, man. 

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

This honestly just looks like I’m trying to discuss something with some bull-headed fan that’s not gonna use any sort of real discussion or reason in the matter just “CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! RABBLE RABBLE”

How about take 5 minutes to educate yourself. Or maybe you already have and just don’t care “because championships”. In which case that’s just odd to me... The “few bills fans” are actually the ones that have a bit of knowledge on the matter. Why make that sound like a bad thing? it’s a team game and that the bills defense, statistically, was comparable and honestly was on a talent level as well. Not quite as good. But comparable for sure. 

The most ignorant debates are the ones that start or end with “.... uhhhh because championships!!” 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Johnson is more athletic than Levi will ever be, but his durability will always be a concern. Johnson has a pedigree though and aside from his athletic ability is a really smart player. I like his upside, but I also like the fact that we have some functional depth in Gaines and Levi. As many have said, may the best man win. Competition is a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I don’t really know. I think it’s a lame one whatever it is though...  Production-wise the bills 2014 d was right on par with that broncos d. Actually better in most key stats. I do think the broncos unit was a bit more high octane with a better ability to totally put the clamps on somebody... But we never got to see the bills unit in the playoffs due to them be a lesser TEAM. I have no clue how somebody could sit here and say that wasn’t an elite level unit. Seems you are ripping on the couple bills fans that remember when maybe you should be educating yourself so you remember as well instead of cherry picking games to prove a sub-par point. 

1991 eagles defense was one of the best ever, talent-wise and numbers-wise and didn’t even make the postseason. I’m sure you’ll shoot that one down with some lame points about championships too..... team game, man. 

This honestly just looks like I’m trying to discuss something with some bull-headed fan that’s not gonna use any sort of real discussion or reason in the matter just “CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! RABBLE RABBLE”

How about take 5 minutes to educate yourself. Or maybe you already have and just don’t care “because championships”. In which case that’s just odd to me... The “few bills fans” are actually the ones that have a bit of knowledge on the matter. Why make that sound like a bad thing? it’s a team game and that the bills defense, statistically, was comparable and honestly was on a talent level as well. Not quite as good. But comparable for sure. 

The most ignorant debates are the ones that start or end with “.... uhhhh because championships!!” 

How’d our D do in the super bowl?  Oh wait, we couldn’t stop the lowly raiders and didn’t make the playoffs while the broncos DL led them to a super bowl victory.  Talk about whatever stats you want.  I’ll talk about the only star that matters.  I’ll take the championship unit over the unit with the always inspirational Mario and Marcel.  

Bills fans will remember that DL.  No one else will.  Bills fans will be the only ones voting for the cold front 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

How’d our D do in the super bowl?  Oh wait, we couldn’t stop the lowly raiders and didn’t make the playoffs while the broncos DL led them to a super bowl victory.  Talk about whatever stats you want.  I’ll talk about the only star that matters.  I’ll take the championship unit over the unit with the always inspirational Mario and Marcel.  

Bills fans will remember that DL.  No one else will.  Bills fans will be the only ones voting for the cold front 

thank you for proving my point.... great talk, bruh.

"because championship, DUH".... LOL.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

thank you for proving my point.... great talk, bruh.

"because championship, DUH".... LOL.

I don’t adhere to those telling me how to debate, so you’re welcome.  I don’t care about stats.  I care about results.  The broncos offense that year was horrible.  They won the SB with a pass rush and talented corners.  

We had had a great dline.  One of the best in the league.  I’d take Von Miller, Demarcus Ware and crew over our guys.  Not sure why this is such a problem.  You act as if im the only “ignorant LOL” person who would say such a thing.  Wake up.  You’re the minority.  Not me.  I’m just ignorant 

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t adhere to those telling me how to debate, so you’re welcome.  I don’t care about stats.  I care about results.  The broncos offense that year was horrible.  They won the SB with a pass rush and talented corners.  

We had had a great dline.  One of the best in the league.  I’d take Von Miller, Demarcus Ware and crew over our guys.  Not sure why this is such a problem.  You act as if im the only “ignorant LOL” person who would say such a thing.  Wake up.  You’re the minority.  Not me.  I’m just ignorant 

you just sound like the average fan that cherry picks stats and games and reverts to title talk in a debate. no biggie... you probably don't know anything about that 91 eagles defense I talked about either...…. because championships.

BTW if that broncos offense was horrible what does that makes the bills offense from 14? they scored a point less per game and had 500  less total yds.... putrid maybe? horrendous? yet somehow they still had a winning record.....hmmmmmmmm

but I get it. you don't care about any sort of sensible research...… because they didn't show up for a game against the raiders. MY BAD. also you'll notice I said I think the broncos d was slightly better. that's not the issue here.

fans that actually know their history and do their research ARE the minority. you are correct.... you do you, boo. I think we can both agree this has gone about as far as it needs to go. you have a great day.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

you just sound like the average fan that cherry picks stats and games and reverts to title talk in a debate. no biggie... you probably don't know anything about that 91 eagles defense I talked about either...…. because championships.

BTW if that broncos offense was horrible what does that makes the bills offense from 14? they scored a point less per game and had 500  less total yds.... putrid maybe? horrendous? yet somehow they still had a winning record.....hmmmmmmmm

but I get it. you don't care about any sort of sensible research...… because they didn't show up for a game against the raiders. MY BAD. also you'll notice I said I think the broncos d was slightly better. that's not the issue here.

fans that actually know their history and do their research ARE the minority. you are correct.... you do you, boo. I think we can both agree this has gone about as far as it needs to go. you have a great day.

Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown day otherwise.

i could careless how I sound to you.  I don’t have all morning to defend why I’d take that broncos front over ours.  

You’re a stats guy.  I get it.  I’m a results guy.  Yes, it takes more than one unit to win a SB but that broncos offense was terrible.  The team was carried by the defense.  

Edit:  ok you win, the Bills were better.  That’s what you want to hear.  Oh yeah, and I’m ignorant.  Now you can sleep better at night 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Johnson is more athletic than Levi will ever be, but his durability will always be a concern. Johnson has a pedigree though and aside from his athletic ability is a really smart player. I like his upside, but I also like the fact that we have some functional depth in Gaines and Levi. As many have said, may the best man win. Competition is a good thing. 

Johnson has more athletic ability but he wasn't very good his first few years.  Hopefully McD can get the best out of him, but again I think he's best-served for the Bills as the #4 or 5 CB.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I'm with you and I loved the Bills DLine in that period. But Malik Jackson, Ware, Von Miller, Sylvester Williams, Derek Wolfe, Shane Ray... they had waves of talented dlinemen and rushers.

Just now, Doc said:

Johnson has more athletic ability but he wasn't very good his first few years.  Hopefully McD can get the best out of him, but again I think he's best-served for the Bills as the #4 or 5 CB.

He actually had a good rookie year. It is since then it has all gone a bit wrong for him. My nervousness about giving him the job if it is in any way close between he and Levi is that he is a 1 and done player in Buffalo if he performs because we will not pay him to keep him with one eye on paying Tre down the line. If you relegate Levi to a backup spot for a year how does that affect his longer term development?

My ideal is that Tre and Levi start, Johnson is the primary boundary backup with EJ Gaines and the secondary boundary backup and then Taron starts in the slot with EJ Gaines as the primary option in that role (he played some nickel to a pretty decent level with the Rams). That to me gives you a very strong top 5 and then you keep a 6th guy who is a slot corner / safety hybrid / special teamer..... that might be the only spot on the roster Siran Neal has a realistic shot at right now if he is making the 53.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like Wallace...I think him and Taron Johnson were uncovered gems......

The vets they brought in on short contracts would have to be significantly better to push them off the field if I am making the decisions on defense.

This does not mean they dont have a place on the team......players that show lack of durability tend to stay healthy longer when they are not played as much.

• Like (+1) 1