Kevin Johnson making strong push for #2 CB

He had better hope he's not doing the Peterman impression during mini OTA's & mini camp !! It would really suck if they let a good player walk & find out come game day dude ain't putting out what he was in practice .

Just saying please McD make sure this time cause last time disaster struck !! I hope he does work out to be a good get but patience grass hopper ...

Edited by T master

I think that Johnson looks better in shorts and non-contact.  

His strengths are his quickness and speed, but if I remember correctly KJ struggles with tackling and physicality.  

So it stands up to reason that KJ does well now, at this stage, but as so many people say, We will see when the "pads come on".

42 minutes ago, T master said:

He had better hope he's not doing the Peterman impression during mini OTA's & mini camp !! It would really suck if they let a good player walk & find out come game day dude ain't putting out what he was in practice .

Just saying please McD make sure this time cause last time disaster struck !! I hope he does work out to be a good get but patience grass hopper ...

For the reasons I stated, I can’t see them making him a starter. The fourth CB (over Gaines)?  Sure. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I really like Levi but best man should win.,,

and I was huge on this signing... he is a really good corner and still improving 

if he brings his A game He will take the #2 spot. He has the experience that Levi will get with time 

...agree......this kid, if he continues to rise as a 4th, can be "around for then some".....Daboll approves of this message............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Making a push for a starting role...in June? 

Camp cannot start soon enough. 

My thoughts also. Glad to hear he is doing well, but I'm ready to see how it will play out when the pads get on and the real deal begins. Very eager for camp to begin also. Many different areas that I'm interested in seeing when it starts. Going to be good camp battles across the board.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Our cornerbacks and secondary looks to be second to none. Teams may have a better 1-2 punch at corner but I’ll take our entire unit over anyone’s 

whens the last time you you could say that about a Bills unit league wide?

Let’s hope the D-line adds QB sacks, in addition to the pressures, to the situation.  Add to that some offensive firepower so opposing teams are playing from behind.  If these conditions materialize this D might just be scary good.

4 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

He's a 26 yr old that was picked 16th in the draft only four years ago.

If he's healthy - huge if - he's going to push for a job. The guy is going to be hungry.

Imagine if he’s one of these guys that’s perfect in this system ? 

Hyde Poyer were both marginal starters on their old teams. 

Ej gains did his best work in the McDermott defense too. 

I maintain violent optimism  in this teams secondary 

• Like (+1) 1

I know EJ Gaines has had a tough time staying on the field the last three years with injuries, but he’s a beast when he is. If I recall, the Bills were 8-3 in games he started in their playoff year in ‘17 and looked like one of the best players on the defensive side of the field. Excited to see him back and would be surprised if he ends up the #2. He is still only 27. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

I know EJ Gaines has had a tough time staying on the field the last three years with injuries, but he’s a beast when he is. If I recall, the Bills were 8-3 in games he started in their playoff year in ‘17 and looked like one of the best players on the defensive side of the field. Excited to see him back and would be surprised if he ends up the #2. He is still only 27. 

Like with Johnson, on a 1-year deal and injury prone.

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

2018 OTA - Vontae Davis is likely to be the starting CB opposite White

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-otas-week-one

We would all be better off if reporters took a long vacation between the draft and training camp.

Well, Vontae Davis was the starting CB opposite Tre White  -  for a half.

16 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

To be fair, both injury-prone” and “pending free agent” were true in 2017 when they acquired him from the Rams and started him anyway. 

There weren't acceptable, if not better, options back then.  There are now.

Doesn't it feel great that the Bills have actually collected enough quality depth at corner so that injury replacements can be expected to perform well?  Kevin Johnson is an excellent player and will do a good job when given the opportunity.  I am concerned that another concussion could be the end of his career.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

Well, Vontae Davis was the starting CB opposite Tre White  -  for a half.

Technically though, he was inactive for week 1 so he didn’t start opposite him until week 2. For a half. I think it was Patrick Gaines who started week 1. He was turrible.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But that unit was very one-dimensional: sacks. They were poor against the pass and run.

This is horribly inaccurate. 

That defense was 4th in points against, and 4th in total yds allowed. Not to mention 3rd in takeaways and 1st in 3rd down %. 

Good lord dude. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Good call although I’d rather have the super bowl winning Broncos DL if you include Von Miller and Demarcus Ware as DL considering all they really do is rush the QB.  Ware was near the end but he still dominated at times that year, Including the playoffs.  5 tackles and 2 sacks in the SB.  Id take Miller and Ware over Mario and Jerry. Going inside Kyle and Dareus vs Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson and Sylvester Williams.  I might give our boys the advantage.

When choosing between the two units it’s hard not to the Denver DL was the best unit on the championship team. It was that Pass rush and Cover Guys that won the SB, not Peyton.  One DL will be remembered in the history of football while the other will be remembered by Bills fans.

The bills 2014 unit allowed less ppg, had more sacks, more takeaways and a better 3rd down % than the 2015 broncos unit. Basically the only advantage that goes Denver would be total yds. 

That 2014 bills defense is one of the more underrated units in the last decade or so. It was easily a championship caliber defense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1