Kevin Johnson making strong push for #2 CB

What I love about Kevin is that he’s gotten his hands on some footballs and taken the ball away a few times (in OTAs practice). His mindset has been impressive with his toughness and focus,” coach McDermott told members of the media prior to Tuesday’s practice.

Buffalo’s defensive backs coach John Butler held the same role with the Houston Texans where he coached Kevin Johnson during the first three years of his career, so the Bills know what the 6-foot, 185-pound cornerback can bring to the table.

“Coach J.B. I had in Houston for three years and he’s a very good coach that I know,” said Johnson upon signing with the team in March. “With him being here that’s a good thing for me because I know he’s a great DB coach. Leslie Frazier is a great defensive coordinator. Coach McDermott is a great coach as well, so for me to be able to come into that situation with three great coaches in place, it was a great thing for me.”

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Our cornerbacks and secondary looks to be second to none. Teams may have a better 1-2 punch at corner but I’ll take our entire unit over anyone’s 

whens the last time you you could say that about a Bills unit league wide?

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 11

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Our cornerbacks and secondary looks to be second to none. Teams may have a better 1-2 punch at corner but I’ll take our entire unit over anyone’s 

whens the last time you you could say that about a Bills unit league wide?

Defensive line under Schwartz.

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Defensive line under Schwartz.

Good call although I’d rather have the super bowl winning Broncos DL if you include Von Miller and Demarcus Ware as DL considering all they really do is rush the QB.  Ware was near the end but he still dominated at times that year, Including the playoffs.  5 tackles and 2 sacks in the SB.  Id take Miller and Ware over Mario and Jerry. Going inside Kyle and Dareus vs Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson and Sylvester Williams.  I might give our boys the advantage.

When choosing between the two units it’s hard not to the Denver DL was the best unit on the championship team. It was that Pass rush and Cover Guys that won the SB, not Peyton.  One DL will be remembered in the history of football while the other will be remembered by Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I like he right where he is....the first db on the field in case of injury to White and Wallace.......this will keep HIM healthy

Let the best man play.   It looks like Johnson is healthy now and may take the starting role from Wallace. I like Wallace and the way he played last year, but Johnson is physically more gifted (with an unfortunately bad injury history).

If Johnson is the best CB, he should play.  If he gets hurt, then the next man up.  It's a treat to have the depth we do to have back-ups who belong in this league.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm glad Buffalo has evolved past the trend of losing a guy, add a guy.  Rinse repeat.  Levi Wallace, showed very good promise what did Buffalo do?  Sign former first rd pick Johnson on a proven it deal.  Bring back Gaines who was a year removed from a career year in this defense.  Same goes for the Oline.  I feel gms past sign the most expensive OG m, most expensive OT and draft a guy and that's it.  Buffalo went Center, center/guard, 2 guards, 2 tackles and drafted a tackle.  

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I believe he was referring to KJ making a push for the #2 CB spot.  Reasonable skepticism given his injury history, IMO.

That's exactly what I meant.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Let’s hope he can stay out of the trainers room

The nice thing is the Bills also have depth.  Yes, it would be better if he can stay healthy, but the Bills don't have to feel dismayed at having to play Levi Wallace or EJ Gaines if Kevin Johnson gets nicked up.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I really like Levi but best man should win.,,

and I was huge on this signing... he is a really good corner and still improving 

if he brings his A game He will take the #2 spot. He has the experience that Levi will get with time 

If the competition is close, even with Johnson being slightly better, you give it to Wallace. Johnson is only here on a one year contract and has an injury history. 

• Like (+1) 1