Pit Bull Terriers: Should we require background checks and licensing?

23 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I have owned these types of dogs (pit bull mixes, usually w/ some sort of hound like Catahoula thrown in) for the last 10-odd years off and on. No issues whatsoever. So our personal experiences notwithstanding, my point about the graphic was that there are probably in the range of 6-1 pitt bull-rottweiler in the US population...which would account for the percentage of fatal attacks. 

If we're talking overall...you're about 200x more likely to be killed by over the counter aspirin than a pit bull.

Both pit bulls and Rottweilers are about 10 times more likely to kill or disfigure someone than the average dog.  Pit bulls,  currently about 5.6% of the U.S. and Canadian dog population,  account for 58% of all dog attack deaths.  Rottweilers,  1.7% of the dog population,  account for 15% of all dog attack deaths.

Between them,  pit bulls and Rottweilers,  just 7.3% of the dog population combined,  account for 73% of all human fatalities from dog attack.

https://www.animals24-7.org/2019/03/24/why-rottweilers-are-as-deadly-as-pit-bulls/

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, teef said:

i'm actually blown away that labs are on the list.  if i raise my voice, my dog gets nervous and runs for my office.

My Golden gets up and goes to another floor of the house when the vacuum cleaner goes on. That could just be guilt though.....99% of what we vacuum up is the hair she sheds.....

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

There is a family in our development that has lost track of their dog on at least 5 occasions.  It's a pit-mix of some sort.  Someone came knocking on my door one night (actually, it was New Year's Eve) and asked, "is this your dog?"  I said, "my dog's inside barking her ass off at this dog."

I'd recognized the dog as the one who'd been "lost," many times; but could not remember who the owners were.  The guy took off, with the dog, going door to door.  I looked at our neighborhood facebook group to see if I could find out where this dog was returned to one of the other times it was "lost."  Found it, ran and caught the guy (grabbed a couple IPAs first); gave him a beer and walked with him to the house.  They had no idea the dog was even missing.  This is the dead of ***** winter.

It wasn't even a month later, the same dog was in my garage when I stepped outside.  So I go grab Chloe's leash and hook the dog up to bring it to its owner.  She drove by my house, looking for the dog, so I got her attention.  Got the dog into the car and I told the girl that she really needs to do a better job watching her dog. 

Turns out the dude from New Year's Eve owns two pit bulls (yayyyy).  He "walks" them by riding his bike and they basically pull him.  Super nice guy, though.  Not thrilled about pit bulls in the neighborhood.  I feel like it should be in the Bylaws that there are none allowed.

I wouldn’t disagree, but it gets tricky with all the mixes. What’s the “test”? 

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

My Golden gets up and goes to another floor of the house when the vacuum cleaner goes on. That could just be guilt though.....99% of what we vacuum up is the hair she sheds.....

I wouldn’t disagree, but it gets tricky with all the mixes. What’s the “test”? 

Bring them to my house.  I'll decide.  :D

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Both pit bulls and Rottweilers are about 10 times more likely to kill or disfigure someone than the average dog.  Pit bulls,  currently about 5.6% of the U.S. and Canadian dog population,  account for 58% of all dog attack deaths.  Rottweilers,  1.7% of the dog population,  account for 15% of all dog attack deaths.

Between them,  pit bulls and Rottweilers,  just 7.3% of the dog population combined,  account for 73% of all human fatalities from dog attack.

https://www.animals24-7.org/2019/03/24/why-rottweilers-are-as-deadly-as-pit-bulls/

Did you know that knives, while representing only 4% of kitchen implements (alongside spoons, forks, tongs, spatulas etc) are responsible for over 90% of cutlery-related fatalities in the US???

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I have owned these types of dogs (pit bull mixes, usually w/ some sort of hound like Catahoula thrown in) for the last 10-odd years off and on. No issues whatsoever. So our personal experiences notwithstanding, my point about the graphic was that there are probably in the range of 6-1 pitt bull-rottweiler in the US population...which would account for the percentage of fatal attacks. 

If we're talking overall...you're about 200x more likely to be killed by over the counter aspirin than a pit bull.

bull####. All dangerous breeds are the same. There needs to be a licensing and insurance requirement, period.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's why 75% of the shelters are filled with pit bulls.

I know a guy who love Pits and works on the board at his local shelter. He said the number is actually significantly higher. 

I admit I really feel for those dogs trapped in cages for their lives. I also feel for anyone  who has to live in fear, or worse, gets maimed or killed. The worst part of this is not the dogs, or the owners, but the breeders! STOP breeding them left and right....and irresponsibly!!! There are too many already! Breeding is for people who know what they are doing!!!!!

Edited by Augie

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

I know a guy who love Pits and works on the board at his local shelter. He said the number is actually significantly higher. 

I admit I really feel for those dogs trapped in cages for their lives. I also feel for anyone  who has to live in fear, or worse, gets maimed or killed. The worst part of this is not the dogs, or the owners, but the breeders! STOP breeding them left and right....and irresponsibly!!! There are too many already! Breeding is for people who know what they are doing!!!!!

Sad and definitely true.  This could really apply across the entire breeding spectrum, however.  Plenty of irresponsible breeders looking to churn out litters for a profit at the expense of healthy animals.  

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Did you know that knives, while representing only 4% of kitchen implements (alongside spoons, forks, tongs, spatulas etc) are responsible for over 90% of cutlery-related fatalities in the US???

Yeah and that’s the reason you keep knives, pit bulls and Rottweilers away from kids.  You just proved my point.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

When my kid gets older, I’ll be open to getting a pit.  Most are very sweet.

41 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah and that’s the reason you keep knives, pit bulls and Rottweilers away from kids.  You just proved my point.

When my kid gets older, I’ll be open to getting a pit.  Most are very sweet.

Are you pretending to have a stroke to win this argument or something? Since when was the age appropriateness of various canines a topic?

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2018/09/13/americas-most-dangerous-dog-breeds-infographic/#55db1bf362f8

Breeds of dog involved in fatal attacks on humans in the U.S. from 2005 to 2017

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/pets/21-dogs-that-have-attacked-the-most-people/ss-BBIJw3H#image=22

#1. Pit bull

Attacks doing bodily harm: 3,397
Deaths: 295

Pit bulls are a dog type that encompasses several breeds such as the American Staffordshire Terrier and Bull Terrier. These dominant and powerful dogs, made headlines a staggering 3,397 times with harmful attacks resulting in 295 deaths over the 32 year period of the study.

Again, the problem with sites like this, as well as sites that have a clear agenda to defend pit bulls, is in addition to not being objective, they're completely inconsistent.  Which data set do you believe above, the one that reports 284 fatalities over 12 years or the one that reports 295 over 32 years? 

The top site is clearly anti-pit bull by the graphic, and that becomes more clear when you look at the site content. 

The bottom link is the equivalent of MSN's popsugar spam, and if you go to the study that it references the author starts off by defending his approach against pit bull apologists, which to me is already a red flag about his bias.  He tailors the data analysis specifically to how dangerous pit bulls are, and he lists in the notes on the pit bull fatalities such things as people who were hit by cars, people who were hit by trains, people who died of heart attacks, people who died of infections, a dog in Tijuana despite the fact that this is a study in US and Canada, 2 dead men that were determined by forensics to be dead then subsequently eaten by dogs, a child that was strangled by a leash, several instances of homicide where the dogs were either blamed by the person convicted without any evidence to confirm it or thought to play a role somehow (including being fed the body), two cocaine overdoses that were subsequently eaten by dogs, instances where it was clear they weren't sure what the dog was but it was assume to be a pit bull anyway, and one person who was hit in the head by a pan thrown by his brother to break up a dog fight.  In fairness, 3 or 4 of these "cases" were not used in final tally of the numbers presented, which raises the question of "why put them in the paper?"  

If you're inclined to think "it doesn't matter which data set you look at, either one is still too much" consider the previous paragraph and ask yourself how quickly you could inflate those numbers if you take that sort of approach.

Also, any breed that the author apparently doesn't think would behave this way on it's own and was part of a multi-dog attack has language that makes it seem like it was coerced by the pit bull(s)... unless it was a Rottweiler, then the language makes it clear that they're both equally at fault.  The author then goes on to take an almost apologetic discussion of the numbers associated with German Shepards. 

In addition, his manner of looking through classified ads to see what dogs are available in order to determine percentage of the total dog population that a breed makes up seems very likely to significantly under represent certain breeds and over represent others.

I'm not disputing many of the points that were made intelligently and thoughtfully by posters representing the full spectrum of opinions on this topic in this thread.  I just have a hard time accepting it when pseudo-statistics are passed off as objective analysis.

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey, maybe they can add Attack Squirrel to the list 

Alabama man allegedly fed 'attack squirrel' meth to keep it aggressive: 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/alabama-man-attack-squirrel-meth-aggressive

Mickey-Paulk-Limestone-County-Sheriff-Of   squirrel-Limestone-County-Sheriffs-Offic

Which one looks scarier?  

The sheriff's office said that prior to the drug raid, officials were told Paulk kept an "attack squirrel" in his home. It's illegal in Alabama to have a pet squirrel.

Officials found the squirrel, and released it into the wild, per a recommendation from Alabama's Department of Conservation.

“There was no safe way to test the squirrel for meth,” the sheriff's office said.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Mickey-Paulk-Limestone-County-Sheriff-Of   squirrel-Limestone-County-Sheriffs-Offic

Which one looks scarier?  

The sheriff's office said that prior to the drug raid, officials were told Paulk kept an "attack squirrel" in his home. It's illegal in Alabama to have a pet squirrel.

Officials found the squirrel, and released it into the wild, per a recommendation from Alabama's Department of Conservation.

“There was no safe way to test the squirrel for meth,” the sheriff's office said.

There are no bad squirrels, just bad squirrel owners.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Which one looks scarier?  

If I'm not mistaken, the tattoo over his right eyebrow says "Paul and Exiled Forever"

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

do you like his "mafia" tatoo?

OMERTA    (as practiced by the Mafia) a code of silence about criminal activity and a refusal to give evidence to authorities.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTd0VYXrYR52FyTI_Awsl1

@BringBackFergy could learn from this .....

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Enjoy your chihuahua’s, pit bull haters.  

We have a hero among us 

I'm sure you didn't read the story.  The dog got bit by a snake.  It didn't save anybody.  The snake wasn't even near people or anything, and:  Kleopfer also said they aren't out to get you or your dogs, nor are they lethal. Still, if you see one, he recommends four simple words: Just leave it alone.

So, the pit bull didn't leave the snake alone, but actually it and got bit, saved nobody, but it's a hero?

You should probably give to her gofundme page:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ee64sd-please-help-bella?member=&utm_source=twilio&utm_medium=sms&utm_campaign=contacts-v2-invite-to-donate