Pit Bull Terriers: Should we require background checks and licensing?

20 hours ago, teef said:

i know pits that are very sweet.  my wife's cousin has one, and i love the dog.  that being said, i don't trust that dog or the breed.  i make sure my kids aren't at face level with the dog, and i always make sure i have eyes on them around him.  i know some people will come on here with some garbage about how they're as trustworthy as other breeds, and that's absolutely not true.  too many times have i heard about these ***** snapping and going after someone unprovoked...even with good owners. 

it's tough to place blame on an entire breed, but i personally don't feel comfortable around them for the most part, and i love all dogs.  our local human society won't let you adopt one if you have a city zip code, which is the only restriction i've come across.  that and home owners insurance rates will go up if you own one, along with a few other breeds.

My son is 4 and I stand right next to him if anyone's pit is around.  I've never encountered a mean one but stories like this make me nervous.

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My son is 4 and I stand right next to him if anyone's pit is around.  I've never encountered a mean one but stories like this make me nervous.

my daughter just turned 4, and we do the same with all dogs. she just at the point where she wants to pet everyone she sees, but she needs to know that not all dogs are like ours.  some just don't want to be bothered.

8 hours ago, Kevbeau said:

I’m no expert but here’s my experience:

I’ve had/have three pit (mixes...as most are.) All have been sweet, happy dogs. I have acerage so we’ve always had some sort of motley pack to keep us company usually made up of castaways and roadside acquisitions. I’ve broken up enough dog fights or called dogs off a scent to know that pit breeds have more of a switch that’s hard to interrupt compared to other breeds we’ve had. Once that switch flips...it’s on 100%. Once you get the dog structured....you can interrupt that switch. 

Most dogs require structure and purpose and most don’t receive that. Lump the whole dbag attitude and dog fighting issue and it creates a recipe for issue. As others have alotted a chihuahua that doesn’t get that is annoying but a larger breed can be deadly. 

Having said all that, the first pit I had spoiled me. She was the easiest dog I’ve ever had. Loved everything. I was naive but kids would dress her up, play with her in the pool...never worries. The second would get triggered by other alpha dogs...learned a lot about canine body language...but he loved people... Third I found later in her life...she’s the beta in our house and respects dog hierarchies but getting her comfortable with new people can be difficult. She goes super submissive which Could be a sign of past abuse, so we limit her interaction to familiar people, gradually introduced.

So...long story short, dogs aren’t a one size fits all, every dog even within a breed has their own disposition. My guess in most of the stories referenced, the dog had previously exhibited some sort of indicative behavior....whether it be towards other dogs, cats, squirrels, the owners...whatever. It’s up to the owner to recognize and either correct, avoid, or give up the animal. 

I don’t take my dogs to dog parks (they’re a horrible idea), I don’t take them to other people’s houses, they always hike on tether off property...and when I have people over after seeing everyone come in, they all get their own space somewhere else. This is regardless of breed. Nothing would probably happen but the downside isn’t worth it.

apologies for the diatribe... have tomorrow off....tipped a few and was hiking with the dogs tonight ?

this is a really good post.  certain breeds just need to be managed properly.  this strikes me as the perfect way to handle the breed.

We have a rescue pit mix and he's the man.  Kind, gentle and great with kids.  Biggest doggy dick you'll ever see.  Sad to read these stories, but pits are unfortunately more involved in "snapping" than other breeds.  I do heavily subscribe to "its the owner, not the breed."  There's a lot of people who say they're good pet owners who really aren't.  

2 hours ago, stony said:

We have a rescue pit mix and he's the man.  Kind, gentle and great with kids.  Biggest doggy dick you'll ever see.  Sad to read these stories, but pits are unfortunately more involved in "snapping" than other breeds.  I do heavily subscribe to "its the owner, not the breed."  There's a lot of people who say they're good pet owners who really aren't.  

I agree with that.  A dog just wants quality time with you and some require more exercise than others.  You do that, the dog will be happy.

I once had a friend in college that said he loved dogs and got a pit.  After a few days, he got tired of taking care of it.  He started dropping him off every day before school at my house that had a fence.  I was okay with him doing while we were at school and at practice but after a few days, he started just leaving him over night.  I called him up and told he has to stop this, especially since a winter storm was coming.  He came by to pick him up.

Then we had a road trip and gone for the weekend.  My roommates dad (owned the house) got a call from the Police that we left a dog in the backyard over the weekend with no food or water and it rained almost the entire time...in February and the dog barked/cried consistently.  We got fined, or my roommates dad got fined.  

We had no idea he did this, he waited until we were gone.  And the worst part...he said he didn't have the money to pay the fine.  He was never allowed to bring that dog over again and he ended up dropping it off at the shelter when he got back.  I've never fought a teammate but I was about to with him.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, teef said:

this is a really good post.  certain breeds just need to be managed properly.  this strikes me as the perfect way to handle the breed.

And there's the problem.  Just like there are no requirements to have a child, there are no requirements to have a dog -- and people constantly f**k up both.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

And there's the problem.  Just like there are no requirements to have a child, there are no requirements to have a dog -- and people constantly f**k up both.

they really do.

9 hours ago, Kevbeau said:

I don’t take my dogs to dog parks (they’re a horrible idea),

Why do you say this? Just curious, as I find my dogs love them for the most part. 

I have a pit/boxer mix now, the sweetest, most gentle dog I have even owned. Great with all dogs and people. But I get why people get nervous due to reputation.

I also have a Chow/Lab mix.(105lbs now).and that dog is just not a good mix with other dogs while out of the house. It is funny to see people being scared to let their dogs near the Pit mix, but assume the Lab will be friendly to their dog..and it is just the opposite . Amazes me the amount of people that cannot read the doggy body language!

15 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I love ya’ GoBills but I have to distinguish the small toy breeds from the PB’s I’m referring to. I said it above and stand by it - there are daschunds, toy poodles and Collies (even Rotts) that bite someone and they walk home with a puncture hole and some bleeding. Pit Bulls go the extra mile and tear flesh, shake their heads and take people down to inflict vicious harm.  It’s not trained (See the story above where young woman was mauled in the woods. Not just a simple bite or two...but death). Pretty rare to hear of a toy poodle doing that to a woman. Even if I owned two of them, I’d drop kick them into the hedgerow. Pit Bulls may be calm and docile at home, but when interacting outside the home with others, if they strike it’s tough to stop them (from what I read and heard ). 

No doubt they can do more damage than your average dog my dude. I’m more disputing the idea that the breed is disproportionately aggressive toward humans. If you own a big dog you need to be aware they can hurt someone much more severely than a smaller breed and train it accordingly.

Pit bulls and their associated mixes were originally bred for fighting, they have really strong muscles around the jaw which is they’re popular hunting dogs here...they ‘lock’ and it’s damn near impossible to shake them loose so they can pin hogs down. I’ve owned a few of them over the years, they’re absolutely more dangerous physically than your average poorly trained canine.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Why do you say this? Just curious, as I find my dogs love them for the most part. 

I have a pit/boxer mix now, the sweetest, most gentle dog I have even owned. Great with all dogs and people. But I get why people get nervous due to reputation.

I also have a Chow/Lab mix.(105lbs now).and that dog is just not a good mix with other dogs while out of the house. It is funny to see people being scared to let their dogs near the Pit mix, but assume the Lab will be friendly to their dog..and it is just the opposite . Amazes me the amount of people that cannot read the doggy body language!

I say that because of your last sentence. And it’s like anything else. It’s perfectly fine for a majority of dogs and “usually” nothing happens. People treat and expect their dogs to act like humans. You are their protector/provider, not their partner.... and if they don’t view in that light, that’s when you have a problem. 

How many times do you see a pack of dogs chasing another dog around the dog park while the owners blissfully chat away. That dog is terrified. Or a dog that is overtly challenging other dogs through its posture and approach. People misinterpret too much behavior as play.  

I guess it it all comes done to the overarching point in this thread. People unable to act in a responsible manner. (And this can be extrapolated out to kids, driving, etc....)

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

You know dogs take on the personality of their owners!??

8 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

I say that because of your last sentence. And it’s like anything else. It’s perfectly fine for a majority of dogs and “usually” nothing happens. People treat and expect their dogs to act like humans. You are their protector/provider, not their partner.... and if they don’t view in that light, that’s when you have a problem. 

How many times do you see a pack of dogs chasing another dog around the dog park while the owners blissfully chat away. That dog is terrified. Or a dog that is overtly challenging other dogs through its posture and approach. People misinterpret too much behavior as play.  

I guess it it all comes done to the overarching point in this thread. People unable to act in a responsible manner. (And this can be extrapolated out to kids, driving, etc....)

WRT dog parks I would also argue, as a self-professed responsible owner of a very dog and people social pit mix (per the dog trainer we took her to in order to determine her temperament around children and other dogs), I’m wary of an uncontrolled situation where an oblivious owner’s dog instigates something and, regardless of my dog’s involvement or culpability (or more likely lack there of), by virtue of breed stereotypes she would be an easy target for blame. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Breed pit bulls:  Go to jail for a year or two.

One of your pit bulls bites anyone but you:  Go to jail for a year or two and be liable in civil court too.

In my opinion, this is a dog breed that should not be bred for "pets" or owned by people as "pets."

A big part of the problem is that dog owners are not held liable to a degree that makes them think twice about owning one.  If you were bargaining two years of state prison and a civil claim that'd likely bankrupt you, most pit bull owners would think twice about owning one.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You know dogs take on the personality of their owners!??

well, my pit is a very handsome and personable chap, and all the chicks dig him...so yep you re right!!!

50 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

We don't go to a dog park often, only when we are in DC . But the pit mix loves it, plays and plays  and plays with the other dogs. I truly have never sen a "pack" of dogs chasing another...that would be worrisome i guess

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, my pit is a very handsome and personable chap, and all the chicks dig him...so yep you re right!!!

My dogs sleep all day and drool on everything... yep, that’s about right. 

• Haha (+1) 2

We had the great fortune of owning a pit bull for 14 years. The day we had to put him to sleep due to an illness was one of the saddest days of my life.

During those 14 years, I was accutely aware of the fact that I had a potential ticking time bomb on my hands and that I had to mitigate that risk by being the most responsible owner that I could be from day one. The fear of losing my dog due to any act of ill-discipline or poor supervision on my part ensured that I very rarely dropped my guard. The end result was a magnificent dog with exemplary behaviour.

In short - owning a pit bull is hard work and requires much discipline. If you are not prepared to be disciplined then you are simply not fit to own a pit bull.

What I would also say is that in my experience the likelihood of a pit bull demonstrating aggression increases dramatically in two broad instances:

1. when there is another dog involved - particularly another male dog.

2. When the owner is an ego driven moron or indeed aggressive himself

I don't know what the laws are like in the US, but here in Australia the breed has been banned in most states (although there are loopholes such as classifying thr dog as an American Staffordshire), which is sad because it is clear that a handful of irresponsible morons have ruined things for the rest of us. 

So in answer to the OPs question - yes to background checks and licensing. It is the best way to ensure the survival of what is a beautiful breed.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 3

On 6/4/2019 at 2:21 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was with a group of college friends at a music festival in Geneva in 1999, and a female friend of mine saw a young couple with a pit bull sitting under a tree relaxing.  She was a huge animal lover, so she went and asked the couple permission to pet the dog.  The couple said “sure!  She’s so gentle and wouldn’t harm a fly.”  She offered her hand so the dog could smell her, and after a few minutes when the dog seemed chill, she began to pet it on top of it’s head.

I remember it like it happened two minutes ago.  She bent down slightly and reached down with her other hand to pet the dog, and the dog just flat out bit half of her face off.  Bit her up around her neck and ear, and thrashed around which essentially peeled that side of her face down to her chin.  I could see her skull.  I will never forget that as long as I live.

Holy crap!  How has she been since then?