BN reports Jim Kelly to “collaborate” with Josh Allen and Brian Daboll...Tim Graham shoots it down

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

He's a GM. Not a former player who hangs around the facility.

NOT the same thing.

Your opinion is worthless to me, honestly. Sorry.

Ditto.  Thankfully you have nothing to do with the operation of the team.  Or maybe you should be the one giving Allen tidbits from time to time.  You obviously must think you're more qualified than a HOF QB.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Ditto.  Thankfully you have nothing to do with the operation of the team.  Or maybe you should be the one giving Allen tidbits from time to time.  You obviously must think you're more qualified than a HOF QB.

Then WHY pray tell did you feel the need to respond to my opinion?

Just to be an ass?

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Then WHY pray tell did you feel the need to respond to my opinion?

Just to be an ass?

Because you are completely off base.  If you had a company with a young CEO learning the ropes, would you not think it would be good to have a former retired successful CEO maybe talk with him about what he learned in his career?

So I know this might sound like blasphemy to some, but I wonder how much Jim would actually be able to contribute at this point if he were brought in.  The game moves pretty quickly, and every year you see some new scheme on offense come out as the next big thing, only to have next year some defensive adjustment that crushes that offense, just to see the following year new offensive adjustments that outmaneuvers that stellar defense from the year before, and so on. 

I could see Jim helping out Josh in how to go about making sure he does all the little things right to keep him healthy through the season, how to get the most out of his career, etc.  But the fact of the matter is that Jim has been out of the league for 20+ years.  I just can't see him being able to contribute as much when it comes to the particulars of picking apart today's defenses...

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

NOT the same thing.

Perhaps structurally but no one can tell me that Elway's not out there from time to time, mixing in with the QB room and making himself available to be used as a resource concerning his NFL experience...he's the boss there after all, which comes with certain privileges of access

1 minute ago, Haplo848 said:

So I know this might sound like blasphemy to some, but I wonder how much Jim would actually be able to contribute at this point if he were brought in.  The game moves pretty quickly, and every year you see some new scheme on offense come out as the next big thing, only to have next year some defensive adjustment that crushes that offense, just to see the following year new offensive adjustments that outmaneuvers that stellar defense from the year before, and so on. 

I could see Jim helping out Josh in how to go about making sure he does all the little things right to keep him healthy through the season, how to get the most out of his career, etc.  But the fact of the matter is that Jim has been out of the league for 20+ years.  I just can't see him being able to contribute as much when it comes to the particulars of picking apart today's defenses...

EXACTLY.

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Perhaps structurally but no one can tell me that Elway's not out there from time to time, mixing in with the QB room and making himself available to be used as a resource concerning his NFL experience...he's the boss there after all, which comes with certain privileges of access

Exactly. Kelly is nothing OTHER than a retired player at this point, and as such should have all the access of anyone else NOT employed by the organization, IMO.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Because you are completely off base.  If you had a company with a young CEO learning the ropes, would you not think it would be good to have a former retired successful CEO maybe talk with him about what he learned in his career?

No, because the whole idea behind changing a CEO is to get a new perspective.

Bringing in the old guy taints that, and sorry, I don't want ANY taint from that team working its way into this one.

Test for the 90s crew to drift off into the sunset, the new Bills need to do what works for them not used to work. A young team needs to huddle up for communication purposes...the no huddle just doesn't make sense when you play Brady twice a year ...who in they're right mine would want there defense on the field more? 

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

EXACTLY.

Exactly. Kelly is nothing OTHER than a retired player at this point, and as such should have all the access of anyone else NOT employed by the organization, IMO.

No, because the whole idea behind changing a CEO is to get a new perspective.

Bringing in the old guy taints that, and sorry, I don't want ANY taint from that team working its way into this one.

Whatever.  Kelly has leadership skills, Allen will be the leader of this team.  Pick his brain about that.  Questions I'd ask Jim if I were Allen:

1.  How did hosting parties after every home game help bring the team together?

2.  As a young QB what's the best way to call out veterans if I need to?

Just a couple of many leadership type questions one could ask.  Effective leadership skills don't have an expiration date.

8 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

Test for the 90s crew to drift off into the sunset, the new Bills need to do what works for them not used to work. A young team needs to huddle up for communication purposes...the no huddle just doesn't make sense when you play Brady twice a year ...who in they're right mine would want there defense on the field more? 

Points. If you have a D which is finally competent enough to contain/pressure/make TB12's life difficult, then you need to maximize your offense's opportunities/number of chances to make plays, which by definition, if you have more plays to run, should result in more points, which you need a lot of usually to beat the Pats. 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So you mean to tell me you can't see ANY downside to this?

no, not really. of course I'm not opposed nor have ill feelings toward the presence or interaction of past players such as you and a few others who have been so adamant about it.

doesn't bother me, at all.

43 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

NOT the same thing.

Your opinion is worthless to me, honestly. Sorry.

as is yours, so there's that.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I love Jim Kelly.  He has come such a long way as a man and is a truly inspirational person and a tough son of a B word.

However, I have always maintained that he should never be put in a role with the organization in any larger capacity as a dignitary.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Your inner fanboy is showing here. Name me ONE other NFL team that operates like this. Think Steve Grogan  came and held young Tom Brady's hand? Think Joe Namath is out there sharing sage advice with Darnold? How about Marino with Rosen?

Well there is this one as well.  

“Rodgers said that Bart Starr, who led the Packers to victories in the first two Super Bowls, has served as a mentor to him.

“It’s a privilege,” Rodgers said. “Bart has been incredible to me — in the last three years especially — with the e-mails and conversations that I’ve been able to share with him. He’s an incredible man and a guy I’d love to model my career after.””

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/01/rodgers-gets-advice-from-starr-warner-young-but-not-favre/

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

no, not really. of course I'm not opposed nor have ill feelings toward the presence or interaction of past players such as you and a few others who have been so adamant about it.

doesn't bother me, at all.

as is yours, so there's that.

Again, you jokers are the ones responding to me, not vice-versa.

18 minutes ago, bmacdona said:

Well there is this one as well.  

“Rodgers said that Bart Starr, who led the Packers to victories in the first two Super Bowls, has served as a mentor to him.

“It’s a privilege,” Rodgers said. “Bart has been incredible to me — in the last three years especially — with the e-mails and conversations that I’ve been able to share with him. He’s an incredible man and a guy I’d love to model my career after.””

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/01/rodgers-gets-advice-from-starr-warner-young-but-not-favre/

Thanks.  Joeinwinslow asked for ONE team (his capitals, not mine) that had a former great QB come in to help mentor a younger guy.  Game, set, match. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't see any harm in Kelly speaking to Allen.

That said - I don't see any real benefit, either.  I've said for years that I was tired of hearing what Thurman, Kelly and Reed thought about the team.  I never cared what they thought.  Even if they'd won a Super Bowl ... I wouldn't care what they thought.  They're yesterday's news.

I agree with JSP that this team needs to find its own identity.  They don't need a torch passed from a team that was good 30 years ago.

I also agree that this isn't something we see with other teams in the league.  My feeling is that it's a Big Fish/Little Pond situation.

I was tired of it 10 years ago.  I simply don't see the benefit.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Thanks.  Joeinwinslow asked for ONE team (his capitals, not mine) that had a former great QB come in to help mentor a younger guy.  Game, set, match. 

:lol:

OK, gramps.

You found ONE. Congratulations.

• Haha (+1) 1