Roger Goodell speaks to Buffalo media from Jim Kelly’s golf tournament

One thing we know for sure: Roger Goodell and by extension the other 31 owners in the NFL want a new stadium in Buffalo.  

I understand their stance from a money standpoint, but I personally like New Era field quite a bit.  The sight lines are second to none, IMO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the Bills can stay stable with out a Jerry world in Buffalo & i believe that if you ask the coaches a 4 game pre season is needed to figure out their depth chart & to implement offensive & defensive schemes !

If they are worried about injury then increase the roster ! The only thing the NFL is thinking by taking away pre season games & adding games is MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY !! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

Give the teams more of an ability to practice and/or scrimmage with other teams, and remove 1-2 of the preseason games.  I think coaches would be fine with that and as a fan, I'd appreciate shortening the preseason.

While we're at it, add two playoff teams in each conference (4 division champs, 4 wild cards) and get rid of the byes for the top two seeds.

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Estro said:

One thing we know for sure: Roger Goodell and by extension the other 31 owners in the NFL want a new stadium in Buffalo.  

I understand their stance from a money standpoint, but I personally like New Era field quite a bit.  The sight lines are second to none, IMO

I think we all do. Beyond nostalgia, it’s a fantastic football venue.

But I’m damn near positive we’ll be having a new stadium and almost as sure it’ll be in the City.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Give the teams more of an ability to practice and/or scrimmage with other teams, and remove 1-2 of the preseason games.  I think coaches would be fine with that and as a fan, I'd appreciate shortening the preseason.

While we're at it, add two playoff teams in each conference (4 division champs, 4 wild cards) and get rid of the byes for the top two seeds.

No! No! No!

To me this is the one thing that makes the NFL playoffs good in that it rewards teams that were the best all season.  More often than not it allows the two top teams to advance which is good.  Without any real data, just my gut, I'd say roughly 3 out of 4 of the bye teams advance on average over the past 25 years or so.  To me that's a good thing.

There's talk of adding more teams to the college playoffs.  I'd favor 6 teams there too and give the top two a bye.   That way the best meet up in the end.

• Like (+1) 2

Not sure I understand how a new stadium means the team will be more stable and successful.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the Bills should just stay put. Throw 500 million at the current stadium for renovations and call it good.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

No! No! No!

To me this is the one thing that makes the NFL playoffs good in that it rewards teams that were the best all season.  More often than not it allows the two top teams to advance which is good.  Without any real data, just my gut, I'd say roughly 3 out of 4 of the bye teams advance on average over the past 25 years or so.  To me that's a good thing.

There's talk of adding more teams to the college playoffs.  I'd favor 6 teams there too and give the top two a bye.   That way the best meet up in the end.

The NHL, NBA, and MLB don't give teams byes.  The NCAA men's basketball tournament doesn't give byes.  Why should the NFL?

10 minutes ago, eball said:

Watering down the playoffs is the last thing I want. I hope they don't add more playoff teams until they add more than 32 franchises.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

The NHL, NBA, and MLB don't give teams byes.  The NCAA men's basketball tournament doesn't give byes.  Why should the NFL?

I don't care about the byes. I think it's too easy to make the playoffs in those other leagues.

• Like (+1) 2

The sabre rattling about an 18 game schedule is just a ploy, used before, in the CBA discussions.  The owners talk about it now, and when it's scrapped, they can point to an area where they gave in to the players.

I'm with the players on this one.  I think the great appeal of the NFL is that every game is huge and that less is more.  Unless you like seeing third-string RBs in December, the 18 game schedule should never be approved.  Unfortunately, it's tied to the number of preseason games but I can remember that when there were 14 regular season games, there were also six preseason games, which was a slog.  However, back then, players needed the six preseason games to get into shape, unlike today where football training is a 12 month job. 

Players long ago needed second jobs in the off-season and came to camp right after July 4th.  I remember the back of one of my Ray Nitschke cards had a cartoon of a player in a car lot showing off a new auto, that said "Ray sells cars in the off-season."

39 minutes ago, MJS said:

Not sure I understand how a new stadium means the team will be more stable and successful.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the Bills should just stay put. Throw 500 million at the current stadium for renovations and call it good.

Agree.  I don't understand the Bills need a new stadium argument.  Higher ticket prices, PSLs people will not want to pay, corporate/luxury boxes that will go unfilled.  I'm not sure the economy in western NY can support this.  Goodell, and the 31 other owners, need to understand that not every city is NYC, LA, Dallas, etc.  But they keep hammering at new stadiums year after year.

• Like (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, eball said:

You're right they don't and and that's why particularly in hockey the 8th seeds are beating the 1 seeds.  Is that really a good thing. In the NHL and NBA way too many teams are making the playoffs anyway.  Agree it was cool that in 2018 Virginia lost to the 16 seed, but did it really make the tournament better or Syracuse losing to Vermont or Richmond?  Actually MLB does give byes BTW through the wild card round.

Without the byes I doubt the Bills would have made it to 4 straight Super Bowls.  Granted, one year it helped them, but the other three, would likely have been knocked out of one of them.

And to your last question, why should the NFL.  Did you ever think that maybe that's at least a small part of the reason the NFL is the #1 sport. 

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You're right they don't and and that's why particularly in hockey the 8th seeds are beating the 1 seeds.  Is that really a good thing. In the NHL and NBA way too many teams are making the playoffs anyway.  Agree it was cool that in 2018 Virginia lost to the 16 seed, but did it really make the tournament better or Syracuse losing to Vermont or Richmond?  Actually MLB does give byes BTW through the wild card round.

Without the byes I doubt the Bills would have made it to 4 straight Super Bowls.  Granted, one year it helped them, but the other three, would likely have been knocked out of one of them.

And to your last question, why should the NFL.  Did you ever think that maybe that's at least a small part of the reason the NFL is the #1 sport. 

The "wild card round" in baseball is one game to determine the wild card, isn't it?  That's not exactly a "bye" for the other teams.

And no, I have not for one second contemplated that byes for the top two teams in the NFL playoffs have anything to do with the sport's popularity.  I don't even know how one would come to that conclusion.

1 minute ago, eball said:

The "wild card round" in baseball is one game to determine the wild card, isn't it?  That's not exactly a "bye" for the other teams.

And no, I have not for one second contemplated that byes for the top two teams in the NFL playoffs have anything to do with the sport's popularity.  I don't even know how one would come to that conclusion.

do bye's directly make it more popular no, but the fact that the four best teams meet in the championship rounds more often, I think does help make the game more popular.  Many more road teams win the first week than the 2nd week of the playoffs.

If you want the Bills to be here for the next 50 years then "Our House" must be up to NFL standards.  While I love Rich, The Ralph and The Cap as much as anyone else; I love the Bills more.  Our House needs a MAJOR Renovation (okay KC or GB) or we need to move to a new home.  That new home is either OP or DT.  If not, we will be at risk of that location being somewhere else.  Time to deal with reality and not our own wants and wishes!!   

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

do bye's directly make it more popular no, but the fact that the four best teams meet in the championship rounds more often, I think does help make the game more popular.  Many more road teams win the first week than the 2nd week of the playoffs.

In my mind, there is a better argument for byes in sports like baseball, basketball, and hockey because the teams at the top have earned those records over the course of 80+ games...not the 16 played in the NFL where one or two "bad weeks" can significantly impact the standings.

Anyway, we disagree on this point and that's fine.  But I think you'll see an expansion of the NFL playoffs before long.