What happened to Scott Berchtold?

I saw this photo on the Bills Facebook.   looks like the some members of the legendary Bills Super Bow teams were back together in Buffalo yesterday.  I’m guessing that it was Ilio Dipalo’s restsurant.  

You’ll notice Scott Berchtold is at the end.  Always thought the circumstances of his firing...I mean reassignment kind of interesting.

To me, it seemed like Berchtold didn’t always have the best relationship with the beat writers - at least over the past decade or so.  Especially under Marrone.  If you remember at one time, he tried to stop reporters from reporting practice stats.  There were also a lot of leaks in 2016 and some embarrassing press conferences with Whaley that many described as embarrassing.  

Still I was surprised that once McDermott took over, Berchtold was “reassigned” as a PR consultant shortly after and Derek Boyko who had connections to McDermott was brought in.  It lead many fans to believe that McDermott was not satisfied with Berchtold and replaced him with someone he trusted.   Very little was reported from the media, other than the fact he was no longer in charge.  

If this is the case, why wasn’t he fired outright? If it’s deemed that he’s part of the problem, what good does it do to keep him involved in the organization?  Also would The Pegula’s really give a first year coach that much autonomy to remove a 30 year PR guy?  

Does anyone know what went down here?  I’ve never heard much in this situation - only fan speculation.

I think in some ways it was “semi-retirement.” It’s similar to what happened to people like Bill Munson and Jerry Foran a decade earlier. Basically, they were stripped of any and all power but still got to collect a check until they didn’t want to work anymore. 

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

Whoops didn’t see that.  Still even thought the same picture,  its a different topic.  

not really my place but .... it is the same topic, just a tangent.

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I saw this photo on the Bills Facebook.   looks like the some members of the legendary Bills Super Bow teams were back together in Buffalo yesterday.  I’m guessing that it was Ilio Dipalo’s restsurant.  

You’ll notice Scott Berchtold is at the end.  Always thought the circumstances of his firing...I mean reassignment kind of interesting.

To me, it seemed like Berchtold didn’t always have the best relationship with the beat writers - at least over the past decade or so.  Especially under Marrone.  If you remember at one time, he tried to stop reporters from reporting practice stats.  There were also a lot of leaks in 2016 and some embarrassing press conferences with Whaley that many described as embarrassing.  

Still I was surprised that once McDermott took over, Berchtold was “reassigned” as a PR consultant shortly after and Derek Boyko who had connections to McDermott was brought in.  It lead many fans to believe that McDermott was not satisfied with Berchtold and replaced him with someone he trusted.   Very little was reported from the media, other than the fact he was no longer in charge.  

If this is the case, why wasn’t he fired outright? If it’s deemed that he’s part of the problem, what good does it do to keep him involved in the organization?  Also would The Pegula’s really give a first year coach that much autonomy to remove a 30 year PR guy?  

Does anyone know what went down here?  I’ve never heard much in this situation - only fan speculation.

...not sure if it was Scott singularly or just the need to clean house of the "good 'ol boyz network" within scouting department, many multi-year holdovers from the RW days.....never understood the latitude given to Modrak to telecommute from his Florida home.....BUT....Pegula's open check book to McBeane to spend whatever it takes (17+ significantly made up of experienced NFL exec level types) sure as hell has us in a FAR superior position probably back to the Polian days....so far...........

20 minutes ago, gomper said:

I've dealt with him personally. Let's just say he needs a character transplant. 

I saw him berate a student volunteer at SJF a couple of summers ago.  He was talking in a group which included JK and his daughters.  He left the group and walked over to the kid and laid into him pretty loudly. 

Seems like a great guy.