"Pump the Brakes" Narrative by Reporters and Analysts

If I read one more "disclaimer" by the beat writers and analysts that as Bills fans we need to "pump the brakes", "they don't have pads on", "its only May", we must "temper expectations", "OTA's are meaningless" I am going to explode! Most of us have many, many, many, more years of following football and particularly the Bills that these same beat writers (you know who they are) and analysts. We know the story. I really appreciate reporting what they see and even their commentary on how player's are fitting into the culture and lineups. Too many of them (actually all of them) in order avoid criticism feel the need to step on the pulpit and spread the "pump the brakes" rhetoric as though their readers are neophytes or dummies that need preached too. Please, just report what you see, comment on your thoughts, but layoff the preachy condescending rhetoric. If I hear good things by multiple writers I want to feel good about the team. I don't need told to "temper" my enthusiasm until they say its ok. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Edited by tumaro02
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

its the same premise to me as when the bills had a hot start in 17 and half the fans wouldn't let themselves enjoy it or let their "guard" down until they made the playoffs. sorry, but you just missed out on half a season or more of good football... not this guy! I choose to enjoy the  whole damn ride! what a fun season that was through the highs and lows!

to the the reporters and even a handful of board members saying what you have explained..... I wouldn't pay it much mind. I'M EXCITED!  that's part of the fan "process" for me. I love what i'm seeing and i'm gonna let it ride!

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I didn’t think my Saturday could start any better than it did. Until this thread came into my life.

its still early! don't buy into the hype just yet!..... it could end up being an awful day! ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

If I read one more "disclaimer" by the beat writers and analysts that as Bills fans we need to "pump the brakes", "they don't have pads on", ...

well... if you don't have your pads on when you pump the brakes, chances are you are not going to stop very well. just grinding metal on metal, lots of sparks and *****.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

If I read one more "disclaimer" by the beat writers and analysts that as Bills fans we need to "pump the brakes", "they don't have pads on", "its only May", we must "temper expectations", "OTA's are meaningless" I am going to explode! Most of us have many, many, many, more years of following football and particularly the Bills that these same beat writers (you know who they are) and analysts. We know the story. I really appreciate reporting what they see and even their commentary on how player's are fitting into the culture and lineups. Too many of them (actually all of them) in order avoid criticism feel the need to step on the pulpit and spread the "pump the brakes" rhetoric as though their readers are neophytes or dummies that need preached too. Please, just report what you see, comment on your thoughts, but layoff the preachy condescending rhetoric. If I hear good things by multiple writers I want to feel good about the team. I don't need told to "temper" my enthusiasm until they say its ok. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

All well and valid points.  Then the aforementioned ‘wet blankets’ will look at you and mention two words:  N_____ P_______.

?

4 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

All well and valid points.  Then the aforementioned ‘wet blankets’ will look at you and mention two words:  N_____ P_______.

?

....interesting how the urinalists are the Negative Nellies ( axe to grind?) whereas FOOTBALL people like Brandt, Simms, Dilfer, Professor Palmer and even Dorsey are "net positive (pros minus the cons) about Bflo in 2019....you make your personal call as to whom you think is right....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tumaro02 said:

SXXSBoP.gif?noredirect

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, tumaro02 said:

So......are you saying we need to pump the brakes on “pumping the brakes”? 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I haven't pumped the brakes since ABS was invented.

There will be a time when no one left alive remembers where pumping their brakes came from.  Does it transcend from analogy to idiom after that point?  

2 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

Please temper your expectations of the media.?

4 minutes ago, Capco said:

There will be a time when no one left alive remembers where pumping their brakes came from.  Does it transcend from analogy to idiom after that point?  

??

JJK