Question regarding maximum heart rate for fitness fans and Doctors

Pete

So I am 50 years old, and very active- running, training, biking, jumping rope- my heart tends to average 148 beats per minute, and has gone up to 161.  At what point should I back off?    They say 80% of 220-50=170 Bpm

does being very active make it safer to be at higher end of maximum heart rate?  Thank you for any info! 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So I am 50 years old, and very active- running, training, biking, jumping rope- my heart tends to average 148 beats per minute, and has gone up to 161.  At what point should I back off?    They say 80% of 220-50=170 Bpm

does being very active make it safer to be at higher end of maximum heart rate?  Thank you for any info! 

At 50 years of age, 170 is the high end so your 148-161 is a good range.  I think that would also put you in the fat burning areas too.

Being very active absolutely helps.  It conditions your heart to take on the increase in intensity and your stamina will be much better.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Are you seriously going to rely on us "experts" for such a question?  Normal adult Bpm's are in the 60-100 range but there are way too many personal variables to give an answer.  170 seems very high.

My resting heart rate is 61- lower than 94% of population.  My concern was 161.  I do the same workout I have done for years, and I am not out of breath- I feel great running a steep hill and bpm are 161

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

My resting heart rate is 61- lower than 94% of population.  My concern was 161.  I do the same workout I have done for years, and I am not out of breath- I feel great running a steep hill and bpm are 161

Same here on the resting heart rate. Worth a check with your Dr. in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

yeah I have kinda run into this sort of situation with my workout.  If I am doing my normal bike or elliptical or row or stair climber I hit a higher rate as expected.  I can do 25 - 30 min of “cardio” no problem.  Then I get out of routine in some sort of physical activity and it would seem like I have never worked out in my life because the ticker is pumping hard and I am not recovering quickly.  It is probably 20% age and 80% an indication that i need to greatly alter the cardio portion of my workouts. 

I got both of you MF'ers on resting heart rate...38 bpm!

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Thanks for responses!  And some other info is when my heart rate is close to 160, I slow down and my heart rate lowers quickly

I'm not a doctor but I've trained high levels for a while....I think (remember I'm not a doctor) that as long as you don't feel light headed or breathing becomes way too difficult...you're okay.  Once you get to that level, then slow down but not come to a stop.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Just sayin, I'm 20 years older and as time goes on you will find that your mind is writing checks that your body can't cash.  I would be concerned with the 161, but I'm not your cardiologist.

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

That seems high. I'm 41 and do cardio every day. I'm usually at 135-140 on the treadmill or elliptical at my normal full tilt.

not that it's worth paying attention to but i've focused on finding a way to get it in the low 140s for the workout

getting easier every year.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

yeah I have kinda run into this sort of situation with my workout.  If I am doing my normal bike or elliptical or row or stair climber I hit a higher rate as expected.  I can do 25 - 30 min of “cardio” no problem.  Then I get out of routine in some sort of physical activity and it would seem like I have never worked out in my life because the ticker is pumping hard and I am not recovering quickly.  It is probably 20% age and 80% an indication that i need to greatly alter the cardio portion of my workouts. 

Ain’t THAT the truth! I call it “winter” since we moved from Florida, and every year it’s harder and harder to get it back in the Spring. Even just a week or so off and I feel like I’m starting from scratch. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Whatever one says the other will say the opposite. It is the modern version of ying and yang. :ph34r:

But then, after many texts, he’ll say what I said and claim he was saying it all along...

But anyway,  a sinus rhythm that high associated with peak sustained exercise is a normal response to increased O2 demand and consumption.  Knock yourselves out. Figuratively of course...

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

But then, after many texts, he’ll say what I said and claim he was saying it all along...

But anyway,  a sinus rhythm that high associated with peak sustained exercise is a normal response to increased O2 demand and consumption.  Knock yourselves out. Figuratively of course...

If he gives a convoluted and contorted concession graciously accept it. That's the best he can do. Some egos are more delicate than others. :)

• Like (+1) 1

It appears all the posters in this thread know their heart rate so what do you all use to measure it?   I used a Fitbit for the last couple of years but when I do a stationary bike in the winter, wrist heart rate monitors don't seem to work.   I believe it has something to do with holding the grip.  So this Feb, I purchased a Polar H10 that has a strap that goes around your chest.  It is more accurate.  Typically when I would cut the lawn, the Fitbit said somewhere between 110 and 120.  At the same time, the Polar has hit between 130 and 143.  

Along with the Polar, I use an app for the android called MyWorkouts.  Bluetooth interface and trends your heart rate in real time.  Nice on the stationary bike.  I highly recommend that app although they do not have an Iphone version.

Their homepage gives you an idea of the trends.

https://www.myworkouts.org/index.en.html

On 5/31/2019 at 1:56 PM, Pete said:

My resting rate is in the high 40s and I expect I am older than you (>60). 

But I have always exercised intensely & often throughout my life. I will hit the high 150s when exercising and my body & dr seem ok with it. You should still check w your doc but your high # is not much different than mine.

• Like (+1) 1