Great Q and A with Ken Dorsey (Athletic Subscription Required)

Great Interview.

I am so happy the Bills decided to hire Josh a proper QB coach this year.  I never understood why they did what they did last year. It was a disservice to Josh.  

Edited by Peter

On 6/1/2019 at 6:51 AM, Chandler#81 said:

This actually gave me a ‘wtf?’ response. Dorsey not caring how a QB sets up to pass -and doing it the same way every time, speaks volumes to his NFL career -which was nothing. Every single aspect of a QB is studied to the nth degree, looking for a tip to the play. If he throws a quick hitch left better by having his left foot back in the gun, but switches it for a screen to the right, everybody in the League knows it by next week. Josh alluded to this somewhat with Chris Simms -how he ended up being too ‘open’ in his stance to be consistently accurate throwing quick outs. That was DA showing him that. A QB has to stick to only one way every time. If he can’t make decent throws to the other side, Practice, Practice, Practice. Anything else is a tip off and unacceptable. 

You are misunderstanding what he said in the interview. He's saying Josh went from always starting with his left foot forward to always starting with his right foot forward. He's not saying he changes it with whatever pass play is called. 

Elsewhere in the interview Dorsey talks about how it does not help Allen to do many reps of something if he is doing it wrong--he will just lean bad habits. So he needs to get his mechanics right and consistent from one play to the next as the foundation for everything else he needs to learn.

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/1/2019 at 12:57 AM, North Buffalo said:

Cunningham was an unconventional freak... Overall athlete I think he compares best to Elway in his ability to scramble, arm strength and pure physical strength.  Elway's biggest problem was as a former baseball player he left cross hairs early on in his  receivers chest... but he developed touch and became a great QB... Joe Ferguson had that kind of arm strength from what I remember as a rookie and Archie Manning had a big arm.  Guys with touch but not as much athletic ability were Fouts and Marino... Jim Kelly had an underrated arm and though not much of a  runner, was a pretty good athlete as well... played Linebacker in high school and never forget one of his hits I think on Bubba McDowell after he threw an interception.  

Dont forget randall's got the NFL record for best punt that ever was, and ever will be.  The dude kicked it from the back of the endzone to the opponents SIX yard line.  Unreal.