Great Q and A with Ken Dorsey (Athletic Subscription Required)

https://theathletic.com/1004274/2019/05/31/qa-with-ken-dorsey-the-bills-quarterbacks-coach-on-his-philosophy-and-what-he-sees-in-josh-allen/

There are some really good questions in here. I have posted a few (hopefully not too many) below that relate to Allen. He also discusses his time in the NFL and college. I think the Dorsey hire is going to be huge for Allen's development. 

What percentage of the job is being a psychologist versus working on mechanics?

I think psychology is very important. It’s such a mental game, you know? Because of the ups and downs over the course of a game, the course of a season, there’s good, there’s bad, there’s things you can improve on. We try to focus on not trying to get too high or too low. We’re staying steady. That calming force throughout a practice, throughout a game, throughout a year is important not only for ourselves, but for the team.

When you considered taking the Bills job, what were initial thoughts on Josh Allen?

I didn’t do a lot of scouting on that quarterback class in terms of hard film study. I knew the top guys. I knew Josh had a very strong arm, good size, things like that. But I didn’t realize how mobile he was, as well. That outside perception looking in, there are obvious traits, but getting to know him, you realize there is so much more to him than just those physical traits, which is really exciting.

What are some examples?

I love a quarterback who hates losing at anything. Guys like that always give you a chance. That inner drive continually pushes them to improve and to win football games. I love the competitiveness he has. I love the intelligence that he has. He’s a smart person and a smart football player. He can handle things. Then he can also learn from what’s been happening — good, bad or indifferent — and he can learn quickly. His ability to talk and relate to anybody on the team is huge. There are a lot of things, that “it factor” stuff people look for.

If you were talking not to a reporter or a fan but another veteran quarterback who never has seen him play, how would you describe Josh’s arm strength?

He can make any throw on the field. Some guys, no matter what, just have to anticipate to make sure they beat the corner. Josh is the type of guy where, if he’s a hair late in his progressions, he can make up for it with arm strength. He can make far-hash throws, deep out routes, deep go routes, whatever it is. Certain guys, if you’re on the far hash, aren’t going to be able to make those throws. Josh can make any throw and get it there with velocity. He can do the same thing on the move, too, the same as if he’s throwing from a clean pocket.

For the first six weeks last year, Josh Allen’s left foot was staggered forward in his pre-snap shotgun stance. He switched to staggering his right foot the last six weeks. What’s the significance of all that for him?

It’s comfort. That’s what it comes down to. What’s the individual player more comfortable with. Right now, Josh’s way is different than Matt’s current way. That’s because Matt’s more comfortable with his way. The bottom line is timing up your feet with the route combination. When your left foot is up, timing your drops is going to be different than when your right foot is up. At the end of the day, we don’t want to try to fit a square peg in a round hole. There’s not a set-in-stone “You have to do it this way” when it comes to this.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Honest question... when looking at the whole person, athletically speaking, is Josh the best physical specimen to ever play QB? (I’m not homer-ing, just honestly wondering)

Obviously he has his faults, and hopefully he fixes those issues, but has there ever been someone with the combination of altheticism and arm strength that he has? 

I feel like if you were building a QB entirely based on physical intangibles, he would be the mold.

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Honest question... when looking at the whole person, athletically speaking, is Josh the best physical specimen to ever play QB? (I’m not homer-ing, just honestly wondering)

Obviously he has his faults, and hopefully he fixes those issues, but has there ever been someone with the combination of altheticism and arm strength that he has? 

I feel like if you were building a QB entirely based on physical intangibles, he would be the mold.

What are physical intangibles?

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Add in mental and psychological makeup as well. Confident, yet humble. Smart, takes responsibility, good sense of humor, natural leader.

51 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Good question!  I think about guys like Randall Cunningham, Cam Newton, and John Elway.  Allen's attributes are not unlike them early in their careers.  I'm sure there are some other similar guys but I just can't think of them at the moment.

The intangible trait is that Josh is very intelligent and a quick study. You can have all the physical traits needed to be a franchise QB but if you can't process your reads and see what the defense is giving you,  you're never going to succeed. EJ Manuel comes to mind quckly. He had all the physical tools but not the mental aspect to process and execute. Only time will tell if we have our "guy".  I believe we have the right front office and coaching staff to bring Josh along and make him thrive.  

Its like all the mistakes the Bills made with Josh last year...they might be a season late doing it...but they did get around to doing it.....

- Concerted effort to create a solid OL

- Which will help the running game which helps the QB

- A QB coach who is actually pretty well respected

- veteran WR's that actually start on other NFL teams to throw to

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I like the fact  that he isn't trying to make QB's do something they are horribly uncomfortable with just to "fit" into some preconceived notion of how it "must be done."  

He went over that in some detail with Simms too and talked about how having the left foot forward he felt he was out of rhythm when getting into his 3-step drop.

He would get to his drop too quickly, set his feet before the route had developed, then have his hips too open and not aligned properly for the short throws to the right. Having his feet set and with his hips too open (think parallel to the sideline rather than having the front hip angled more to where he intended to throw) to the right lent itself to throwing the ball "all arm" from an awkward position and those passes being less accurate.

At least that was how I interpreted what Josh was saying. Or we could just go with it felt more comfortable having the right foot forward, and the rhythm/timing worked better for his 3 steps drops allowing him to set his feet properly to be more accurate - especially short throws to the right. Either way, it is just good to see the way Josh and the other QBs work together to try to "peer review" their technique and work on improvements.

I think this year we may have a true semblance of a running game so Josh is going to have to work on perfecting his play action. Roll the tape of Peyton Manning and see how to carry out play action. Manning worked hard at eliminating any "tells" between the steps and motion taken on a play action play and those where he handed it off. He followed through each and every time. Brady, Brees, and Rogers are not too shabby either.

Legit play action that safeties will bite on, Josh's arm strength, and with Foster and Brown outside.... bombs away :)

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Pre-neck injury Peyton Manning was probably the complete package. Except that he wasn’t mobile, but that’s a relatively new aspect to grade a QB on. Next up would be Michael Vick in terms of all around athletic ability. 

In this new generation, Allen might be what you say, in terms of all around physical traits. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I really hope Josh is able to follow through on the potential.  His abilities are off the charts.

...he sure gets high marks from ex-NFL QB's who have stayed connected to the game like  Dorsey, Professor Palmer, Dilfer, Simms, etc (their career stats have no bearing IMO).......certainly would trust their critical analyses citing pros, cons as well as the "in betweens" before any urinalists yapping.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Pre-neck injury Peyton Manning was probably the complete package. Except that he wasn’t mobile, but that’s a relatively new aspect to grade a QB on. Next up would be Michael Vick in terms of all around athletic ability. 

In this new generation, Allen might be what you say, in terms of all around physical traits. 

I don’t know if Manning was ever an athletic freak, though I realize his arm is better than I ever thought at the time as I thought it was more cerebral skill than physical. 

Edited by whatdrought

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I like to compare him to Tyrod. 

Because it shows how much better off they are. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1