OBJ missing Cleveland OTAs

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, he’s made the decision to do the bare minimum for his new team. We will see how that works out for him and for them. If they win, he won’t be criticized. If they don’t, he will. We all know how well he’s dealt with criticism in the past.  He’s setting himself up, considering it’s a franchise with a losing pedigree. They have a lot of inexperience and little winning going into a season with very high expectations.  For the first half of the season, until Kareem hunt’s suspension is up, he’s considered the biggest addition on offense who is supposed to put them over the top. Their offense was good against bad defenses last year and bad against good defenses. They need a ton of work, it’s not going to be some magical formula of talent on paper = wins. So I understand the coach’s frustration. If he was on the Bills right now, I’d be frustrated as a fan. 

...sorry...new team...new uni......could give a rat's azz about your perceived NFL stature prior......show up for your new team even if it is a sideline cameo while you get your 'effin pedicure.....just loathe the divas no end.........

2 hours ago, eball said:

I don't know why you keep these conversations going.  Pay him?  He's one of the highest paid players in the league.  And he's not a vet of the Cleveland Browns.

It's pretty simple -- there are a ton of reasons why it would have been a good look for OBJ to attend OTAs, regardless of whether anyone thinks it means anything in September.

Name one good reason for him not to attend, besides the fact that he's not contractually required to.

One good reason?  That's subjective obviously.  We know why WE think he should be there.  But he knows what I have been trying to tell you:  he's confident that he will understand any offense his OC puts before him and that in late July and August, no one will care that you were weren't there for a few days in May.  And really ,there is no reason to think anyone would at that point because.....well, they never do with these annual OTA holdout stories.

You want "good looks" in May?  Pay him to show up.  It's quite common, as you have to be aware, that top players get voluntary practice bonuses in their contracts.  In Green Bay, where men play pro football, not for the filthy lucre, but solely for the love of the game (or at least the "look" of that, right?)...they pay more practice bonuses than any team in the NFL.

In fact, the highest paid players are often the ones who get paid extra to practice when they aren't required to.

I don't know why you keep responding in a way that goes counter to what is already well known, and otherwise obvious.

Here, read it from someone else:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/01/packers-continue-to-have-the-nfls-biggest-workout-bonuses/

https://deadspin.com/lets-stop-pretending-to-care-when-nfl-players-skip-otas-1795510164

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I wouldn’t be concerned. I even wonder if Bills are discussing this more than Browns fans.

Nope. It’s all they’ve talked about in between the Gerald McCoy story. That said, both sagas are over. Mandatory minicamp is tomorrow and he’s here, and McCoy is going to Carolina instead 

Edited by YoloinOhio

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope. It’s all they’ve talked about in between the Gerald McCoy story. That said, both sagas are over. Mandatory minicamp is tomorrow and he’s here, and McCoy is going to Carolina instead 

Well there ya have it. I haven’t kept up to date on the Browns drama but I do look forward to seeing that team play this season.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Doubtful.

when you bring in an " elite" player to help turn the Franchise around , you might want him to have a fan friendly personna as well. its a business after all.

The Kids would love his autographs. and businesses would likely want him as spokesperson etc.
This looks awful on the Browns GM etc.

If I am the QB , i am going to look for the guys i trust first. Not the supposed superstar. and i at camp i am the safety playing over the top. I am going to welcome him to cleveland on the field.

Hello jack ass. now go find your helmet if you can.

yes i have always disliked  odell.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You also said this: "I do have a problem with a player in situation (b) skipping because an opportunity to learn the system".  I thought that was silly and made it clear why.

He'll show how much a damn he gives starting with the mandatory and camp.  The "show your new team you give a damn" by showing up to OTAs is an even weaker argument against OBJ's no show.  His team mates will be very excited to see him work in camp and preseason.  May is meaningless.  Freddy Kitchens has a lot more to worry about than OBJ missing May football..

So yeah, I think those are both silly arguments.  And they are made every year.  And then they are proven silly later in the summer/Fall.

I guess the only reason that the Bills have had 100% attendance for their voluntary OTAs (even the old vets, who are injured, and not participating), is because they're all saps. LOSERS with no life, and nothing better to do. Chumps. I wish I had never become a Bills fan.

There could be no other explanation since, May is meaningless.

But, of course, I'm just being silly.

Edited by Rocky Landing

5 minutes ago, without a drought said:

He's there for mandatory minicamp. Now everyone can take a deep breath and relax.

So is Duke Johnson, I'm not sure if people knew or were upset with his absence.

He skipped because he wants a trade 

The number of people who apparently take pride in doing unpaid labor for their overlords' benefit is astonishing

Like sure if you're doing it to get a raise or whatever, great, but having "pride in your work ethic" by allowing your own exploitation when you could have pride in, I don't know, being a present husband/father, learning a new skill, developing a new passion or hobby, etc. is just sad

You are not your work, stop devaluing your labor and play with your kids or something, nobody lays on their deathbed thinking "gee I really wish I'd spent less time with my family and pursuing my own interests"

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Avisan said:

The number of people who apparently take pride in doing unpaid labor for their overlords' benefit is astonishing

Like sure if you're doing it to get a raise or whatever, great, but having "pride in your work ethic" by allowing your own exploitation when you could have pride in, I don't know, being a present husband/father, learning a new skill, developing a new passion or hobby, etc. is just sad

You are not your work, stop devaluing your labor and play with your kids or something, nobody lays on their deathbed thinking "gee I really wish I'd spent less time with my family and pursuing my own interests"

You don't work in the arts. And, apparently, you have no passion for your career. The kindest thing I can say about this post is that you clearly don't have the perspective to judge others' life choices.

Edited by Rocky Landing

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

You don't work in the arts.

I do, actually, I'm a full-time musician

Having a terrible work/life balance doesn't make you more valuable, it actively harms your relationships and stunts your creativity

There's data on this stuff

1 minute ago, Avisan said:

I do, actually, I'm a full-time musician

Having a terrible work/life balance doesn't make you more valuable, it actively harms your relationships and stunts your creativity

There's data on this stuff

And, you never play music unless you're getting paid? I call BS.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

And, you never play music unless you're getting paid? I call BS.

On my own time I do music I genuinely enjoy or write/arrange what I like outside of my work for others

I have workaholics in my family and it strains the heck out of them and their relationships and I'm sure as hell not going to inflict that upon mine

Just now, Avisan said:

On my own time I do music I genuinely enjoy or write/arrange what I like outside of my work for others

I have workaholics in my family and it strains the heck out of them and their relationships and I'm sure as hell not going to inflict that upon mine

Then, I'll just repeat, and clarify my initial response to your obnoxious post: You don't have the perspective to judge other people's life choices, especially as it pertains to their dedication to their careers, and families. The suggestion that people who do jobs on spec in the furtherment of their careers are being "exploited" by their "overlords," and are lesser as parents, or spouses is just plain ignorant.

And, I'll leave it at that.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, he’s made the decision to do the bare minimum for his new team. We will see how that works out for him and for them. If they win, he won’t be criticized. If they don’t, he will. We all know how well he’s dealt with criticism in the past.  He’s setting himself up, considering it’s a franchise with a losing pedigree. They have a lot of inexperience and little winning going into a season with very high expectations.  For the first half of the season, until Kareem hunt’s suspension is up, he’s considered the biggest addition on offense who is supposed to put them over the top. Their offense was good against bad defenses last year and bad against good defenses. They need a ton of work, it’s not going to be some magical formula of talent on paper = wins. So I understand the coach’s frustration. If he was on the Bills right now, I’d be frustrated as a fan. 

Were you frustrated with Bruce Smith once the season started? He barely showed up for training camp.

I agree it would look good and be a nice media story if he was there. Honestly I think it is a bad move on his part. If he shows up and runs 10 routes in shorts no one would say anything.

But my point is I just don't think these OTAs matter much and he will show up for camp ready to go.

11 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

when you bring in an " elite" player to help turn the Franchise around , you might want him to have a fan friendly personna as well. its a business after all.

The Kids would love his autographs. and businesses would likely want him as spokesperson etc.
This looks awful on the Browns GM etc.

If I am the QB , i am going to look for the guys i trust first. Not the supposed superstar. and i at camp i am the safety playing over the top. I am going to welcome him to cleveland on the field.

Hello jack ass. now go find your helmet if you can.

yes i have always disliked  odell.

lol this is funny.  Mayfield can't wait for OBJ to show. 

Building a roster is more than just stockpiling talent.

That's one reason I'm skeptical about how far Cleveland goes, and more excited about where Buffalo is headed.

With the Bills, you can see players unifying around Sean McDermott and his vision.  You can sense Josh Allen rising to a leadership position, and the locker room lining up behind him.  Even the free agents who walked in the door 2-3 months ago... whether it be Cole Beasley standing up to defend the city, or the multiple offensive players who came here because of Allen's potential. 

Can you say the same about Freddie Kitchens and Baker Mayfield? 

• Like (+1) 2