OBJ missing Cleveland OTAs

38 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I don't care who you are, missing anything when you are going into a new situation, puts you in the backseat rather than in the driver's seat.  To me, he of all people needs to be there.  If this were Landry or someone already familiar with the situation, the playbook, how the practices go so on and so forth, I wouldn't make the same claim.  But because he's going into a new situation, he should be there every damn day.

But I reckon he thinks he is just that awesome, that much of an anomaly, that supremely special that he doesn't have to show.

And it gets his name in the news. He digs that. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

found this interesting.

(summary) 

commentator believes Manning can still make all the throws. He is very good at reading the D but had a terrable habit of forcing the ball to ONLY obj. He also showed objs on field temper tantrums when he wasn't getting the ball. 

Makes you wonder how much pressure and bad decision making is put on the qb when these divas are squeeling for stats every game and undermining you if they dont get them. 

if a sb champion veteran qb is under constant pressure to throw to a single target (covered or not) how will a young qb handle it? as of now he seems to be defending the fact obj has better things to do then be on the same field building chemistry with him. 

Great timing, I just watched this video yesterday. The guy (I recommend his breakdowns) makes good points about the Giants situation. Giants' OL is one of the worst lines in the league.

2 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Great timing, I just watched this video yesterday. The guy (I recommend his breakdowns) makes good points about the Giants situation. Giants' OL is one of the worst lines in the league.

Cleveland’s isn’t good either. They should focus less on Gerald McCoy and more in making sure Kyle kalis isn’t going to end up as their starting RG. Austin Corbett is trending toward draft bust at this point

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Cleveland’s isn’t good either. They should focus less on Gerald McCoy and more in making sure Kyle kalis isn’t going to end up as their starting RG. Corbett is looking like a washout.

Unlike Manning, Mayfield can move a little, still not ideal to go into the season with so many weapons outside with shaky grounds inside, I agree.

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

He will be coming into camp in shape and ready to play. The rules don't compel him to be there so what is the big deal. If he were a younger player who needed to acclimate to the pro game then I can understand the concern. But he is a veteran who simply is preparing for the season in his own way. When the Browns traded for him they knew that he had a diva attitude. So they shouldn't be surprised with his individualistic approach to the team and game. If he plays up to his talents the organization will gladly tolerate his aberrant behavior. If he underperforms then his self-centered behavior will become an issue. Or another way of saying this is you get what you get.

It's not a huge deal, especially for a guy who's been in the same system for years.

He hasn't. It's a new system for him and a new QB. Not a very big deal, but it will slow up adjustments and learning. It's who Beckham is, from the way he comports himself. You get a lot of good things when you bring him in, but some bad things come with the package.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ricojes said:

At my office they just implemented a new voluntary work policy.  For no additional money, we can now voluntarily work on Saturday's and Sunday.  They say it helps build chemistry and gives us a leg up on our competition, so that on Mondays we hit the ground running. 

I will not be there, and I don't care what anyone thinks about it...

Do you also get February to June off ? If you did, would you watch TV and play video games each and every day ? Or would you otherwise engage in activities which will keep you good at your craft ?

Your analogy is not even remotely similar. 

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t alway but I’m not going to ride a guy for missing some voluntary practices. And I only ask the question because of the assertion he doesn’t care about winning. Clearly posters saying that must think his attendance this week effects wins and losses. But are we talking a game? 3? Maybe a game every few seasons? 

I think this this is one where fans ride a guy because we crave the opportunity to create a story but think the impact of this move is much more akin to josh Allen stepping out of bounds vs taking a hit 5 yards shy of the market early in a game in September. Does he break two tackles, surprise with a season defining TD and it become a season defining moment? Maybe? It’s possible but I’m 100% on board with him stepping out.

Maybe they find an interesting idiosyncrasy they can exploit in a big moment here, but even if it results in an extra catch or two, odds are they aren’t terribly impactful for a guy that’s proven he can do it and will do the work to be ready. 

We like big storylines. There aren’t many coming out of Memorial Day. So we create them. 

Taking advantage of opportunities to play is not the same as avoiding hard hits in a preseason game or for a QB to avoid a huge hit in a regular game. I absolutely approve of the latter to protect player in the larger picture. I am okay with OBJ not going full bore in these OTAs to avoid injuries but he needs to be there. 

While OBJ may not need to practice to hone his own craft, he does need to think about Mayfield who is entering a critical second year. I wont debate this point much more as we are both inflexible in this debate. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's not a huge deal, especially for a guy who's been in the same system for years.

He hasn't. It's a new system for him and a new QB. [n] Not a very big deal, but it will slow up adjustments and learning.[/b] It's who Beckham is, from the way he comports himself. You get a lot of good things when you bring him in, but some bad things come with the package.

You make excellent points.  However, I disagree with the point that because he is not at non-mandatory sessions he will be behind when the season starts. It matters little if he is behind now because that isn't what will really matters. What's more important is whether he will be fully prepared to play with his teammates when the season starts. I say yes he will be. 

As I have repeatedly stated what is the surprise about OBJ's behavior? He is a known quantity. The Browns got exactly the player/person they traded for. The Giants and their owner had enough of his obnoxious solo act. So they traded him for little in return. The behavior that he is exhibiting now shouldn't be surprising. You get what you get. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You make excellent points.  However, I disagree with the point that because he is not at non-mandatory sessions he will be behind when the season starts. It matters little if he is behind now because that isn't what will really matters. What's more important is whether he will be fully prepared to play with his teammates when the season starts. I say yes he will be. 

As I have repeatedly stated what is the surprise about OBJ's behavior? He is a known quantity. The Browns got exactly the player/person they traded for. The Giants and their owner had enough of his obnoxious solo act. So they traded him for little in return. The behavior that he is exhibiting now shouldn't be surprising. You get what you get. 

I don’t think Dorsey is surprised. Kitchens is the one cracking now over it. I think he’s going to be in over his head a little as HC of this particular team, but I understand his reaction yesterday. He can respect the terms of the CBA and still be disappointed that one of his most integral pieces doesn’t want to be with the team and is wasting opportunities to get better. He probably should have said nothing because he blew up the story, but I get it, he’s a new coach. He also said some things about the Gerald McCoy situation that seemed like he should have kept quiet. Rookie HC.

48 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Unlike Manning, Mayfield can move a little, still not ideal to go into the season with so many weapons outside with shaky grounds inside, I agree.

He is not a runner nor is he big or fast, but he is very good at improvising and moving around in the pocket. He made their OL look better last year than Tyrod did but losing Zeitler isn’t good and the defenses now have a season of film on mayfield, so lots of progress must be made.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think Dorsey is surprised. Kitchens is the one cracking now over it. I think he’s going to be in over his head a little as HC of this particular team, but I understand his reaction yesterday. He can respect the terms of the CBA and still be disappointed that one of his most integral pieces doesn’t want to be with the team and is wasting opportunities to get better. He probably should have said nothing because he blew up the story, but I get it, he’s a new coach. He also said some things about the Gerald McCoy situation that seemed like he should have kept quiet. Rookie HC.

You make an excellent point that the Kitchens is a new coach and inexperienced with how to handle these types of situations. What he is doing is escalating an issue that need not be escalated. It's understandable why he would be frustrated over the non-appearance of a player. There is a learning curve here as it is for every new coach. What he has to learn is reacting without thinking through what the full ramifications are doesn't help his cause as a new coach. 

It’s pretty simple to me. OBJ is an attention *****. He gets more attention by skipping OTAs than by being there.

Everyone is talking about him NOT being there. If he was, not so much to talk about.

2 minutes ago, bopper2 said:

It’s pretty simple to me. OBJ is an attention *****. He gets more attention by skipping OTAs than by being there.

Everyone is talking about him NOT being there. If he was, not so much to talk about.

I personally think he should have stripped down naked and try to climb an electric fence....that'll get more attention.

usatsi_11355744.jpg?w=1024&h=614&crop=1

Giants get a chuckle: Odell Beckham already in hot water in Cleveland

Kitchens’ first message to Beckham was, “I love you.” His current message to Beckham is, enough is enough. It’s time to get it together.

Thus far, Beckham has attended just a single OTA, also skipping the team’s voluntary minicamp and making no commitment to the upcoming mandatory minicamp.

This was a common theme for Beckham in New York, and one that led to a disconnect between him and the front office/coaching staff, who repeatedly expressed the importance of OTAs, gelling with teammates and learning the offense.

While some are quick to dismiss the value of OTAs, former players continuously acknowledge their benefit in terms of cohesion and learning the playbook. And given that Beckham is entering a brand new locker room and a new offensive system, his absence is, in fact, meaningful.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

Good old OTA's.  

Shame players for missing voluntary workouts.

Put coaches in the uncomfortable position of explaining to the media why a player didn't show up to a voluntary workout.

They need to do away with them.

59 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Kitchens’ first message to Beckham was, “I love you.” His current message to Beckham is, enough is enough. It’s time to get it together.

Thus far, Beckham has attended just a single OTA, also skipping the team’s voluntary minicamp and making no commitment to the upcoming mandatory minicamp.

This was a common theme for Beckham in New York, and one that led to a disconnect between him and the front office/coaching staff, who repeatedly expressed the importance of OTAs, gelling with teammates and learning the offense.

While some are quick to dismiss the value of OTAs, former players continuously acknowledge their benefit in terms of cohesion and learning the playbook. And given that Beckham is entering a brand new locker room and a new offensive system, his absence is, in fact, meaningful.

Interestingly, I heard on radio he attended 7 of 10 voluntary OTA sessions with the NYG last year. Didn’t verify that info but seems to be a more recent thing this year that he’s decided not to go. Would have made more sense not to go last year than this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

If I was the Marketing Leader at Head and Shoulders...I would drop OBJ after seeing this pic.

His hair, as the young kids today say....."a hot mess".

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Good old OTA's.  

Shame players for missing voluntary workouts.

Put coaches in the uncomfortable position of explaining to the media why a player didn't show up to a voluntary workout.

They need to do away with them.

But what to replace them with? Something mandatory or nothing at all? Expand TC? Teams have to be able to have the time to install their playbooks with the players and coaches on the field and having the ability to interact with one another--yes it's voluntary but at your own schematic peril if you're the new guy especially. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bopper2 said:

...yup...ranks right up there with Chad Kelly, Antonio Brown, Johnny Manziel, General Hospital, the Kardasians, etc......worse than watchin' a can of Sherwin Williams dry in my rocking chair while my teeth soak in Polident before dinner......