OBJ missing Cleveland OTAs

It’s always tough. 

There’s a risk vs reward here that for a guy like him might not actually be worth it. Ankle, knee, hammy or Achilles and he’s scrapped a year. If he attends healthily, how much better is his season? Does he get 1 extra catch? 5? Are they in moments that actually matter?

its a little bit like being ok with TJ yeldon fighting for a yard in the first quarter of a September game but maybe josh Allen needs to slide in the same spot. 

Im not sure. 

Edited by NoSaint

Ask not what your team can do for you during May, ask what you can do for your team all year long.

The younger players need to become familiar with him, and he with them.  Tom Brady, a far better player than OBJ, welcomes every Patriot player and makes them feel good about being his teammate.  (Josh Allen is doing that too, and good for him.)  OBJ wants his teammates to be in awe of him.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He’s also been in the same offense that whole time and well... is just slightly more proven 

I had no idea it was the OTAs from which the NFL champion is decided. My point is, these threads pop up every year about players that are consistently superior to the guys on our roster. How about we worry about our own team?

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

I had no idea it was the OTAs from which the NFL champion is decided. My point is, these threads pop up every year about players that are consistently superior to the guys on our roster. How about we worry about our own team?

Clearly it isn’t...  his own coach was the one that made it a big topic in the media today. Not us. please feel free to worry about the Bills and ignore the thread 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Clearly it isn’t...  his own coach was the one that made it a big topic in the media today. Not us. please feel free to worry about the Bills and ignore the thread 

Plenty of coaches worry about plenty of dumb stuff. 

How impactful do you think a week of voluntary OTAs are for an all pro WR? 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

He will be coming into camp in shape and ready to play. The rules don't compel him to be there so what is the big deal. If he were a younger player who needed to acclimate to the pro game then I can understand the concern. But he is a veteran who simply is preparing for the season in his own way. When the Browns traded for him they knew that he had a diva attitude. So they shouldn't be surprised with his individualistic approach to the team and game. If he plays up to his talents the organization will gladly tolerate his aberrant behavior. If he underperforms then his self-centered behavior will become an issue. Or another way of saying this is you get what you get.

5 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I have plenty of worry to go around.

I am shifting mine to another team. less stressful.
Or i could worry about Buffalo Bills Morse and Beasley or  Q Spain or  ....Bodine, orthe TEs.

Brand new team all new Coaches and scheme. and  routines. dudes   a weenie head.

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Plenty of coaches worry about plenty of dumb stuff. 

How impactful do you think a week of voluntary OTAs are for an all pro WR? 

you are rather wealthy aren't you ?

lol

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean why would he want to have more reps with his brand new QB who's in his 2nd year in the NFL? Why would he want to build on his relationships with his entirely new team around him? Why would he want to have more reps working through an offensive system he's new to? I mean yeah your right whatever happens here in the offseason is meaningless compared to what happens in the season but I don't see why we can't look at things that are happening now and say whether we think they're good or bad.

well said....he'll be just another diva who fades away....

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

He will be coming into camp in shape and ready to play. The rules don't compel him to be there so what is the big deal. If he were a younger player who needed to acclimate to the pro game then I can understand the concern. But he is a veteran who simply is preparing for the season in his own way. When the Browns traded for him they knew that he had a diva attitude. So they shouldn't be surprised with his individualistic approach to the team and game. If he plays up to his talents the organization will gladly tolerate his aberrant behavior. If he underperforms then his self-centered behavior will become an issue. Or another way of saying this is you get what you get.

He might as well be a rookie though...new team, new QB, new offense, new language.  Someone dedicated to winning and winning first would be there at OTA's.  And, he has a bad reputation coming in, he has to earn the trust of the locker room, and this is not the best way to go about it.   All he is doing is making himself look like he cares more about himself than putting in the work along side of his new teammates.  

OBJ may care about winning, but he's clearly not committed and dedicated enough to prioritize it.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was his coach that made it a big deal. He answered the questions sounding pissed off that he wasn’t there, and now they’ve been talking about it all day in between the back and forth over the insipid Mayfield-Cowherd childish ***** 

If the coach is not happy with the player not showing up for non-mandatory practices that is tough. The rules of the game are the rules of the game. There are sessions that are not mandatory and there are sessions that are mandatory. The hyper player and personality will be at the mandatory sessions. That is what is required of him. If they wanted a choir boy and a team guy they shouldn't have signed him. They got what they got.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He might as well be a rookie though...new team, new QB, new offense, new language.  Someone dedicated to winning and winning first would be there at OTA's.  And, he has a bad reputation coming in, he has to earn the trust of the locker room, and this is not the best way to go about it.   All he is doing is making himself look like he cares more about himself than putting in the work along side of his new teammates.  

OBJ may care about winning, but he's clearly not committed and dedicated enough to prioritize it.  

OBJ mostly cares about himself. It may be surprising to you but it is not to me. He will be ready when the season starts. He doesn't care what the locker room and others think about him. He'll be ready when the season starts. That's what matters to him. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the coach is not happy with the player not showing up for non-mandatory practices that is tough. The rules of the game are the rules of the game. There are sessions that are not mandatory and there are sessions that are mandatory. The hyper player and personality will be at the mandatory sessions. That is what is required of him. If they wanted a choir boy and a team guy they shouldn't have signed him. They got what they got.  

OBJ mostly cares about himself. It may be surprising to you but it is not to me. He will be ready when the season starts. He doesn't care what the locker room and others think about him. He'll be ready when the season starts. That's what matters to him. 

I didnt say it was surprising, I am saying he is just showing it to his new teammates and coaches now.  So much for a fresh start and his whole thing about being outspoken because he wants to win.  Clearly, he doesn't want to win that bad or he would be there.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree, they knew what they were getting. But Kitchens is the one making it a story. He’s clearly frustrated that he’s missing a lot. And it’s a distraction now, because of his media comments. OBJ cried behind the scenes in NY because he was stuck with a bad QB and dysfunctional organization. He should want to prove after the trade that his less than great couple of years aren’t who he is and that he can leave that in NY. He has a chance to do that, but instead has become a distraction again. Blame the player or blame the coach, but the local and national media will pounce on anything OBJ related. To me, he’s not required to be there, but don’t know why he wouldn’t want to be. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean why would he want to have more reps with his brand new QB who's in his 2nd year in the NFL? Why would he want to build on his relationships with his entirely new team around him? Why would he want to have more reps working through an offensive system he's new to? I mean yeah your right whatever happens here in the offseason is meaningless compared to what happens in the season but I don't see why we can't look at things that are happening now and say whether we think they're good or bad.

The player in question doesn't give a damnation about what other people think. Think whatever you want. What is the surprise here? The Browns traded for a volatile and self-centered player whose  prior team owner essentially said get this freaking fool/priick out of here.

The player will be at sessions he is required to be at. And he won't be at sessions that he won't be required to be at. He is not transgressing against any rules. He's doing his thing like he has always done his thing. The moral of the story is that you get what you get. If the Browns want players to conform then don't trade for players who have a raucous history of not conforming.