Cable TV Versus Everything Else

I have been thinking about this for months, spectrum is too damn expensive and the only way to get a good rate is to cancel and resubscribe in my wife's name - saves about $100/month; but you have to return all of equipment and then go pick up the new stuff (hope it works, because let's face it - it never does). When the promo deal is up in a year, cancel and resubscribe in my name. Rinse and repeat.

Had a cool dude from spectrum tell me this when I was pushing to get another discount - they are not allowed to offer to existing customers;only new ones. Said he just got off the phone with a couple who does this every year. I am honestly thinking about keeping my internet ($65 for 400mbps) and going with YouTube TV (app on both of my TVs) or PS Vue (only on the main Sony TV) Samsung would need a firestick. Both services once I add HBO will give me the same rough price of doing the annual cable swap, which honestly is a pain in the ass. I wish I could pair it down more, but we still watch a fair amount of shows on TV...

The other issue is all of the services keep upping their prices and in another year or 2 they will be the same damn price...

On 7/29/2019 at 10:53 AM, CookieG said:

We still have a few days of Uverse left. We're going to try Playstation Vue, it seems to have the best channel lineup. We'll probably give Youtube Tv a try also.

Its going to be $80 less per month plus we get the 2 local channels back that ATT won't pay for and the NFLN back.

The ATT sponsored "support forums" are hilarious.  They just blame everyone else and tell their subscribers to suck it up.

It actually reminds me of when we dumped AOL for DSL in the 90's. When cancelling, AOL was asking "why are you leaving?" 

I could only respond, "idk, because service is 5 times faster, doesn't tie up your phone and is less than half the price."

Ah, the memories.

The channel lineup on Playstation Vue is attractive, although they don't have the NHL network.  As someone who's never done streaming and is a non-techie, is it difficult to set whatever's necessary up prior to subscribing?

7 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The channel lineup on Playstation Vue is attractive, although they don't have the NHL network.  As someone who's never done streaming and is a non-techie, is it difficult to set whatever's necessary up prior to subscribing?

It's not difficult

Create an account on the streaming services website

Download the app/channel on your device

Open the app/channel and log in with the account you just created

Try magnumstream, it may not be the most legal thing, but $25 a month and you get everything, including NFL ticket and those other professionals sports.  DM me and I’ll give more details.  Or YouTube it.

I asked my bride to change to cable..she said no because we have the Sat dish on the garage roof...what?

It's not difficult..roof tar is cheap.

it's her way of getting me out to watch the bills opener with friends at a bar.I'm not doing that..

I'll listen to the radio feed or get the rabbit ears.

DTV has really gone down hill...only reason I still have it is because of the Mets.

8 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I asked my bride to change to cable..she said no because we have the Sat dish on the garage roof...what?

It's not difficult..roof tar is cheap.

it's her way of getting me out to watch the bills opener with friends at a bar.I'm not doing that..

I'll listen to the radio feed or get the rabbit ears.

DTV has really gone down hill...only reason I still have it is because of the Mets.

Should be on regular tv for you K. Back not getting any better?

4 hours ago, T&C said:

Should be on regular tv for you K. Back not getting any better?

Thanks T/C..I have home PT...three times a week.I'm hanging tough.

Hey...we have a blackout here.CBS (Wivb-4) and sister WNLO (23).CBSSN all knocked out.

Like I said..I won't be bothered if I listen to the radio feed..and watch ch 212(nfln) for red zone and our scoring plays.

• Like (+1) 1

For those thinking of signing up with an IPTV site...

Dish has a growing list of lawsuits targeting IPTV service and a ever increasing number of wins. This week Dish and NagraStar filled another lawsuit targeting multiple IPTV providers including TVStreamsNow and OneStepTV according to a report from TorrentFreak.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/dish-is-suing-multiple-iptv-providers-as-it-ramps-up-its-fight-on-iptv/

14 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Hey...we have a blackout here.CBS (Wivb-4) and sister WNLO (23).CBSSN all knocked out.

Like I said..I won't be bothered if I listen to the radio feed..and watch ch 212(nfln) for red zone and our scoring plays.

I posted this is another thread

So I called DTV about 212-1 

"Edmond" told me that this is currently a temporary channel, that has no dates/times attached to it. If you receive 212, you should get 212-1. 

For those of you that are in-market for Bills games, I asked if he could guarantee that we'd receive the Bills game via this channel during preseason and regular season (currently cannot get CBS due to Nexstar blackout). He could not do this, but instead is sending us a 'free' local channel receiver that we can hook up to our current service in order to receive CBS to bypass the blackout.

If it works, I should be good for the season. Regardless, I will call back to complain about the service the new receiver provides, to see if I can weasel out a good Sunday Ticket deal

• Like (+1) 1

They're constantly sending me that email I mentioned earlier about getting a $3 amazon gift card for filling out a survey.  Now I know some people will take any "free" money they can get, but I'm holding out until they at least add in a gumball on top of those 3 bucks.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I posted this is another thread

So I called DTV about 212-1 

"Edmond" told me that this is currently a temporary channel, that has no dates/times attached to it. If you receive 212, you should get 212-1. 

For those of you that are in-market for Bills games, I asked if he could guarantee that we'd receive the Bills game via this channel during preseason and regular season (currently cannot get CBS due to Nexstar blackout). He could not do this, but instead is sending us a 'free' local channel receiver that we can hook up to our current service in order to receive CBS to bypass the blackout.

If it works, I should be good for the season. Regardless, I will call back to complain about the service the new receiver provides, to see if I can weasel out a good Sunday Ticket deal

Not sure of your location, but in the local Buffalo market the pre-season games are carried on WKBW channel 7 (ABC) which is not blacked out through DirecTV. We are safe at least for the next few weeks. If it isn’t corrected by then I’ll be getting an antenna or dropping DTV. 

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Moved this week.  Was thinking about getting Spectrum rather than putting a dish on my new house.  Got directtv because I generally hate Spectrum, didnt know about the channel 8 issue until the technician was just about to leave.  Pretty irritated. 

Thats so dirty. They should have to disclose to you that you will not get that channel and that it has no end in sight. 

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Football is literally the only reason I watch tv.  Othrwise the tv is only briefly on for the kids.  Its a major annoyance.

I have to imagine people are leaving in droves. DirecTV should crack and pay Nexstar whatever they want. It is just idiotic. At a minimum they should have to post a daily update on the channel that is blacked out. If Football season arrives and they still don’t have CBS they are going to lose an incredible amount of people. 

Just now, Bills2ref said:

I have to imagine people are leaving in droves. DirecTV should crack and pay Nexstar whatever they want. It is just idiotic. At a minimum they should have to post a daily update on the channel that is blacked out. If Football season arrives and they still don’t have CBS they are going to lose an incredible amount of people. 

I signed up today and already want to leave

23 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Well good, at least you have a pro coming in to help. 

I've been pretty busy lately so haven't had the time to read through this thread in its entirety.  So, is the local channels thing Only on DTV? If not, why not just get a 60 mile range antenna from walmart or somewhere? They are only like $40-$50. WNY is is pretty flat until you get out aways so you would get every local channel.

I have Sling and use an antenna to get all of the local channels here... and there are a ***** ton of them.

I guess what I'm saying is that no way are the local channels "down", they are only down on DTV. Just get an antenna man.

P.S. I'll holler at you when I set up the perfect challenge.

• Like (+1) 1