'Rare' Levi Wallace finds strength in the scars of a fallen friend

Logic

Great article from KBW today about Levi Wallace. I was ALREADY rooting hard for this kid, but now I will do so even more fervently. Also, the article sheds light on his choosing the number 39 for this season. Cool read.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/rare-levi-wallace-finds-strength-in-the-scars-of-a-fallen-friend

By now, most know his on-field story out of high school. A zero-star cornerback recruit out of Tucson High School without a Division I offer to speak of, only a hope to walk-on with the perennial title game participants, Alabama. It was a shared favorite school between Wallace and his father, Walter -- though a task so ambitious that some would brand as foolish.

"You're not going to tell a kid he can't do anything -- and especially a kid like Levi who is just so motivated," said Wallace's coach at Tucson High, Justin Argraves. "In high school, he didn't have the size -- a taller kid, lankier kid, but he was skinny. Wasn't the fastest kid, so he got overlooked."

Wallace defied those odds, fueled by a lack of respect. He wanted to prove that he belonged. He did. "At this point, I feel like I'm born with it," Wallace said. "I feel like I always have to prove myself." A learned birthright that found even more motivation while enrolled in college to push further past becoming an impact starter at Alabama.

Fuel also brought on from two of the worst moments of his life...

• Like (+1) 3

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

There has to be a reason he wasn't heavily recruited or drafted.  Lack of speed?  Not strong enough?  Who knows.  Talent and determination can't be measured with stop watches and strength tests.  Wallace can PLAY.

• Like (+1) 1

I see parallels between Wallace’s and Josh Allen’s stories. Both ignored, both determined, and both willing to do whatever it takes to achieve their goals. This is the very fiber of greatness. And as lucky as we are to have Allen at QB, we are just as fortunate to have a guy like Wallace setting the same example on defense. 

I was a fan of this kid well before we signed him as what he accomplished at Alabama amidst that sea of 5 star recruits and for a coach like Saban, first drew my attention to his story. Learning more about what motivates him has made me respect him even more. 

Taking the starting job from him won’t be easy for anyone competing for it. Nobody on this planet wants it more.

• Like (+1) 1