Sporting News ranks all 32 NFL coaches for 2019

46 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It's silly to rank any guy who has never coached a game in the NFL before.  Again, this is what happens when you have to fill a website every day with stuff.  Guys write nonsense just to fill a space. 

I know right? The 20th and 21rst best coaches In the nfl have yet to win a game as a head coach at any level, ever. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll give it a shot:

Belichick

Payton

Reid

Pederson

Reich

Carroll

Harbaugh

Tomlin

McVay

Lynn

Nagy

Arians

McDermott

Shanahan

Zimmer

Rivera

Kitchens

Quinn

Garrett

Vrabel

IMO that's a fair list but it's also giving McD the FULL benefit of the doubt ranking him there.   Once you get past Arians the rest are all guys who haven't really proven themselves to be difference makers yet or recently.   For example I am sure a Titans fan would put Vrabel where you have McD and cite a brutal divisional schedule etc..   Anthony Lynn above McDermott won't get you many likes from the unobjective crowd though.

9 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

Get ahold of your self, man.........it's just a story..........one man's opinion.

I suggest you get a good nights rest.

You'll feel better in the morning...........

yeah...and McDermott did bungle the QB position last year...he put a 3-way QB battle at camp, whcih meant no one got in sync with anyone.... secondly he started Peterman and then wasn't patient with him. Then he thrust his rookie QB at the end of the 1st game in a panic mode...all resulted in a 6-10 season with some mixed feelings.  He did have his flaws.

10 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

Get ahold of your self, man.........it's just a story..........one man's opinion.

I suggest you get a good nights rest.

You'll feel better in the morning...........

I don't know what in my post makes you think I'm losing it. I posted an article that I think is ridiculous. How can you rank any coach who has never coached in the NFL, other than at the bottom, until they show something? Klingsbury has had success in college, yet he is #32. 

It's just an article that I thought was a little far fetched.....basically click bait. Just like 75% of all the posts on this board. So take it easy bro, I'm perfectly fine and sleep just well every night. 

Never ceases to amaze me how people put the bills as a 0 win team last offseason then give mcd no credit for coaching them to 6 wins.

He is a top 10 coach, cant wait to see how he does with talent 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I found this for you:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/superbowl/history/winners

LII Feb. 4, 2018 U.S. Bank Stadium (Minneapolis) Philadelphia 41, New England 33
LIII Feb. 3, 2019 Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta) New England 13, Los Angeles Rams 3

You can argue record if you want, but that one says all that needs to be said. 

Also, if you remove Pedersons first year with the team and only compare the past two years you end up with this final breakdown: 

Pederson: 26-11

McVey: 26-10

All media is very credible, they would never show favoratism.  Its all based on fact.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO that's a fair list but it's also giving McD the FULL benefit of the doubt ranking him there.   Once you get past Arians the rest are all guys who haven't really proven themselves to be difference makers yet or recently.   For example I am sure a Titans fan would put Vrabel where you have McD and cite a brutal divisional schedule etc..   Anthony Lynn above McDermott won't get you many likes from the unobjective crowd though.

FWIW, I’m not a big McDermott fan. I find him to be kind of fake. I think he’s a pretty good football coach though. His teams are prepared and don’t beat themselves. He just hasn’t had a lot of talent. This year we are going to find out though. This team SHOULD compete for a playoff spot. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I want to see whether McD adapts to the modern game or remains a HC who plays it safe on offense and tries to keep games close with strong defense.  He's into the 3rd off-season of running his defense and is now doing it with his guys.  The question is whether he gives the offense more freedom, particularly after the spending spree this past off-season.  Because if it's going to be a run oriented offense with a pedestrian passing game I think the ceiling for such a team is probably 9-7. 

I see this repeated quite a bit around here and wonder where it's coming from.  At what point as coach of the Bills has McD had the offensive talent necessary to "take chances?"  As you have indicated, this is year three and this is where McD makes his mark.  I simply don't see any reason to predict or expect that he doesn't want to score a lot of points to win football games, or that he is for some reason purposely ignoring offensive trends in the NFL.

Edited by eball

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll give it a shot:

Belichick

Payton

Reid

Pederson

Reich

Carroll

Harbaugh

Tomlin

McVay

Lynn

Nagy

Arians

McDermott

Shanahan

Zimmer

Rivera

Kitchens

Quinn

Garrett

Vrabel

O’Brien

Taylor

Kingsbury

LaFleur

Fangio

Marrone

Jon Gruden

Jay Gruden

Gase

Flores

Patricia

Shurmur

Not bad KJ. Like our newer guy Yoho, not to be convinced with our favorite Yolo stated the other day, basically who cares what these guys have to say in May.  I know his post was much more comprehensive, but was eluding to some of these dumb articles that have zero todo with what our Bills will do this year.

Some of his rankings are all out foolish, but who cares?  Our standings this January, and next January will tell a better picture.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, I’m not a big McDermott fan. I find him to be kind of fake. I think he’s a pretty good football coach though. His teams are prepared and don’t beat themselves. He just hasn’t had a lot of talent. This year we are going to find out though. This team SHOULD compete for a playoff spot. 

I generally agree but I don't know if he's fake or if he's just more "educated" than smart.    We saw that with Yale grad Dick Jauron.   Ultimately the difference between Jauron Ball and Marty Ball or Cowher Ball was that Marty and Cowher respected the critical importance of having better talent than your opponent even if you are trying to play conservative football.       

• Like (+1) 1

Among the worthless efforts of football reporter/commentator types in the springtime, this was probably the worst.  McDermott is bad because Buffalo has only had 2 winning seasons since 2000?  OK.

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It seems that way but I don’t know if it’s true.  They were top 10 in penalties and have gotten destroyed in numerous games.  Honestly, McDermott is pretty whatever to me.  I think he is a good defensive coach who will need a good OC and qb to carry him (like most coaches). Can’t say I’m a fan of his 2 OCs choices but hopefully I’m wrong about Daboll. 

12 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

I'll take McDermott over Anthony Lynn ( #9) any day.

Seriously, why?  I mean things could change but you’re completely underselling the job Lynn is doing.  McDermott inherited a team that went 15-17 the 2 years before him.  He is 15-17.  

Lynn inherited a team that went 9-23 in the 2 years before him.  He has gone 21-11 in his 2 years.

so other than Lynn doing much better with a team that was much worse before him, I see your point. 

• Like (+1) 1