Sporting News ranks all 32 NFL coaches for 2019

Didn't see anything about this posted yet and it's about a week old article. This might be the most ridiculous ranking I've ever seen. Can't argue with the first five or so, but after that it gets ridiculous. How can a couple guys that have never coached a game in the NFL be ranked anywhere but the bottom? Also has Gase ranked ahead of Mcdermott. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/ranking-all-32-nfl-coaches-2019-best-worst/gd43to2wbdo41d07vmhzk0dx5

Edited by Bubba Gump

Only Marrone, Jay Gruden, and Shurmur ranked below McDermott. Other than a few of the new guys who are 1st year HCs.

If McD does what many of us expect by leading Bills to winning seasons, perception will change.  He will gain respect and move up the ranks.    IMO McD is the best Bills coach since Marv and 2nd best in AFCE.  Hope he is here for the next decade+.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's nearly impossible to grade a coach after two years with all of the roster turnover. And frankly how do you grade coach and not grade a coach as a coach-GM team. It's about the Johns and the Joes, not the X's and O's, right?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Didn't see anything about this posted yet and it's about a week old article. This might be the most ridiculous ranking I've ever seen. Can't argue with the first five or so, but after that it gets ridiculous. How can a couple guys that have never coached a game in the NFL be ranked anywhere but the bottom? Also has Gase ranked ahead of Mcdermott. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/ranking-all-32-nfl-coaches-2019-best-worst/gd43to2wbdo41d07vmhzk0dx5

Oh I see...McDermott was ranked 25th.    

If he had been ranked top 5, the study would not have been so "ridiculous" and much more "good and accurate".

:lol:

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Only Marrone, Jay Gruden, and Shurmur ranked below McDermott. Other than a few of the new guys who are 1st year HCs.

If McD does what many of us expect by leading Bills to winning seasons, perception will change.  He will gain respect and move up the ranks.    IMO McD is the best Bills coach since Marv and 2nd best in AFCE.  Hope he is here for the next decade+.

Last year was a Tale of Two Cities; "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...".  The first half of the year (a full half season) the team was lost and putrid.  I was personally puking on the word "process".  And not just the lack of offense, but the defense was getting carved up as well.   He was on the verge of losing the team AND the fan base.  The losses to the Ravens (I was in attendance), Chargers, Colts, Packers, Bears and Patriots were as disheartening as it gets.  He's accountable for the whole Peterman fiasco as well.

The season was absolutely salvaged in the 2nd half after Allen came back from injury, they changed the WR core and the team set off in a new, exciting direction.  He should certainly get his share of credit for that.

However, when looking at McD in totality, that first half can't just be dismissed and declare him "Wonder Coach".  Lets see what they do this year before clamoring for him to be rated substantially higher...

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 2

I didn't read this review and I don't really care about it, but just on record alone (two seasons, one playoff appearance, 15-17 record) I think McD is in "middle of the pack" territory, which puts him somewhere between 12-20 I guess?

This season, year three, is McD's opportunity to show what he has built and how much he has learned.  Turn this team into a playoff contender and he'll receive the personal accolades.

• Like (+1) 1

Absolutely terrible ranking.

That was a hack job of an article. A real ranking would provide evidence of game plans in crucial games (obviously if you are 3-10, the last couple games aren’t important) half time adjustments, in game challenges, player and culture development, of course wins, hand clapping, etc 

Who was the writer for that article? Remind me never to read anything by him again.

2 hours ago, cage said:

Last year was a Tale of Two Cities; "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...".  The first half of the year (a full half season) the team was lost and putrid.  I was personally puking on the word "process".  And not just the lack of offense, but the defense was getting carved up as well.   He was on the verge of losing the team AND the fan base.  The losses to the Ravens (I was in attendance), Chargers, Colts, Packers, Bears and Patriots were as disheartening as it gets.  He's accountable for the whole Peterman fiasco as well.

The season was absolutely salvaged in the 2nd half after Allen came back from injury, they changed the WR core and the team set off in a new, exciting direction.  He should certainly get his share of credit for that.

However, when looking at McD in totality, that first half can't just be dismissed and declare him "Wonder Coach".  Lets see what they do this year before clamoring for him to be rated substantially higher...

I mostly agree with you.  Anyone that expected anything except a train wreck of a season, probably wasn't paying very close attention.  The team had a very poor roster with the exception of the first twelve or thirteen players on the defensive side of the ball.  The cap situation prevented them from doing anything to salvage the offense.  The o-line was a complete disaster and prevented them from having any real semblance of a running game.  Although the fan base was angry about the losses, experts around the league had positive comments about the job being done by the coaching staff.  The team played hard and competed.  This season should tell whether McD is the real deal or not.  The roster is much improved and the quarterback play should be considerably better.  Barring significant injuries to key players, the team should have a better record.  Even if they don't take a step forward this year, I don't expect McD to lose his job.  I think that the owners recognize that you can't have an effective NFL franchise with constant turnover in leadership.  Great teams in the league have continuity.