So Who Now Should Be In Charge Of The offense Unfettered?

....some of the beotches last year were "well McDermott is a defensive leaning guy" or "Daboll had no talent to work with".....certainly appears like McBeane has made some decisive and effective moves (sure, on paper so far) on the offensive side of the ball...so are we at a point where McD hands the reins over to Daboll as the bonafide "in charge OC" ready to display "his stuff", or does McDermott still feel the need to keep him on the conservative "short leash"?.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Having a rookie qb with little to no talent around him kept Daboll "on a short leash", not McD. I get the feeling that Sean is comfortable delegating responsibility to hardworking growth mindset individuals like Daboll. He's also got great experience at successful organizations filling important roles. I'd say Brian is in complete control and if Josh can take the year twp leap I'm hoping for, I think this offense is going to put up alot more points than last year. 

• Like (+1) 7

48 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....some of the beotches last year were "well McDermott is a defensive leaning guy" or "Daboll had no talent to work with".....certainly appears like McBeane has made some decisive and effective moves (sure, on paper so far) on the offensive side of the ball...so are we at a point where McD hands the reins over to Daboll as the bonafide "in charge OC" ready to display "his stuff", or does McDermott still feel the need to keep him on the conservative "short leash"?.....

So, you're saying that Daboll isn't smart enough to realize that with a rookie QB, suspect (being kind) offensive line and few receiving options he needed to play a bit conservatively last season?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NextYear'sTheOne said:

Having a rookie qb with little to no talent around him kept Daboll "on a short leash", not McD. I get the feeling that Sean is comfortable delegating responsibility to hardworking growth mindset individuals like Daboll. He's also got great experience at successful organizations filling important roles. I'd say Brian is in complete control and if Josh can take the year twp leap I'm hoping for, I think this offense is going to put up alot more points than last year. 

I agree with most of this, except that I don't think McDermott is completely hands off with respect to the offense.  I think there is communication between McDermott and Daboll and Daboll will take McDermott's preferences into account, though Daboll will handle the day to day operations of the offense.

• Like (+1) 2

It's not like McD can do to Daboll like he did with Frazier and decide to start calling the offensive plays on his own... He obviously has his trust in Daboll to do what he has to do. His job...

What I DO know is nobody's job is safe... McDermott has proven to get rid of coaches who don't produce. As long as he stays with that mindset, we'll be ok... Pegulas and Beane are the only ones who McD needs to answer to so McD is the obvious leader... Every other coach is held accountable for whatever position they're being paid for... Why do I sound like Captain Obvious right now is the better question.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The biggest handicap of our O last year was the O line.  The offense won't be good until and unless the line gets better.  We had one good player and four stiffs last year.  We're up to two good players now, possibly three if Ford steps up quickly, but until I see the evidence that the new set of guys is better than the old set, I'm a skeptic.  

If the line can deliver above-average run blocking and simply average pass blocking, we'll have Shady and Gore back to their old selves and Allen getting his groove on.  But those are some pretty big ifs.  I have my fingers crossed but that's it for now.

So Daboll, good luck, I hope your offense clicks and turns into a scoring machine.  I am not convinced you have all the pieces in place yet.

9 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

release-the-hounds.jpg

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

What evidence do we have that Daboll has been on a short leash and that McDermott has been involved in the offense?

I assume the OP was drawing that conclusion from the terrible performance of the offense.

I would hope McD has some involvement with the offense!  Otherwise he's just a DC pretending to be a head coach.  

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

release-the-hounds.jpg

I assume the OP was drawing that conclusion from the terrible performance of the offense.

I would hope McD has some involvement with the offense!  Otherwise he's just a DC pretending to be a head coach.  

pretending to be a head coach. that's a good one, pretending.

13 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, you're saying that Daboll isn't smart enough to realize that with a rookie QB, suspect (being kind) offensive line and few receiving options he needed to play a bit conservatively last season?

...how 'bout a somewhat mutually agreed upon short leash then?....

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

It's not like McD can do to Daboll like he did with Frazier and decide to start calling the offensive plays on his own... He obviously has his trust in Daboll to do what he has to do. His job...

What I DO know is nobody's job is safe... McDermott has proven to get rid of coaches who don't produce. As long as he stays with that mindset, we'll be ok... Pegulas and Beane are the only ones who McD needs to answer to so McD is the obvious leader... Every other coach is held accountable for whatever position they're being paid for... Why do I sound like Captain Obvious right now is the better question.

I'm not convinced that McDermott hasnn't memorized the offensive playbook by now and could not call a game if he had to.  He won't though.

Not sure where this comes from, while the offense played poorly last year Daboll had some brilliant game plans. The offense couldn’t execute squat and having no running game and a million penalties killed a lot of momentum. Daboll had some iffy calls but overall I thought he schemed fantastically. The receivers on this team couldn’t get open or separation and he schemed them open. I also thought for the first time in many years the offense could actually make adjustments at halftime and counter things opposing defenses were doing well. It’s not out of the realm of possibilities that with a really big jump for the offense he may find some head coaching interviews 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Sorry but I was unaware that Daboll wasn't calling the shots.

They took time for Josh to progress and ;earn and not pull a Marrone and expect a rookie to perform better than a 5 year vet 

Daboll would in all likelihood be looking for and taking into consideration any advice McDermott may have on the the short and long term develpment of Josh Allen IMO. McDermotts experience working in the same camp as Cam Newton an athlete with a much similar skill set and an ability to help game plan the opposition gives Daboll a perspective through the eyes of a DC.

For the most part though I think Daboll has been and will continue to the call the shots. 

• Like (+1) 1