Gunner's Roster Thread 2019

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I can.

McDermott puts a big emphasis on special teams.

As for the OP, agree with just about all of it except DiMarco. Why is that guy still here? 

Well, for one thing, read the sentence that you typed right above the sentence that I bolded. Fullbacks play an enormous role on special teams.

From the Buffalo News: 

"DiMarco played on the punt-coverage and kickoff-return units in every game and was on kickoff coverage almost every game. He played five games on punt returns. In all, he played 38 percent of the special-teams snaps."

Add nearly 40% of the special teams snaps to around 15% of the offensive snaps and you have a rosterable player.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I did. Good spot.

It refers to the team currently getting beaten 1-0 in the Europa League Final.

Smart ass lol

6 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...hope that Eddie Y sticks.......kid has shown some promise.....

Love him for depth

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I agree with most except Josh Allen in black.  We signed Tyree Jackson clearly to push Allen for the starting QB job.  

Tell ya what- it would be a pleasant surprise if he pushed for the number 2, I think ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If he is their best returner then Roberts will be on the team absolutely regardless of whether he is in the top 6 receivers. The question then becomes 7th receiver vs 10th DB vs 10th OL vs 4th TE vs 4th RB.

But that extra receiver better play special teams on coverage units. They are not keeping 6 wide receivers who only play wide receiver. Absolutely no chance.

Yeah I'm not sure what they'll do. My only point was that I'd downgrade Roberts from probably to having to fight for his roster spot. He's a really good return guy, I get that but that may not be enough.

18 hours ago, K-9 said:

Did you really just say none of the punters has a leg up in the competition for a roster spot?

Didn't both of them have injured legs?

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

The left footed one had a shoulder from the dreaded fake FG (his understanding) 

They should have called the injury by its proper name - extreme brain crampitosis.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GG said:

Didn't both of them have injured legs?

I know Carter did, but I’m not sure about the other one whose name is too laborious to type. He may have had a shoulder issue, iirc. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nice job GB!! I’ll nitpick a little but nothing major:

Zay to black

Maurice Alexander to red

Jordan Phillips to black

DiMarco to red

Shaq to black (with the uncertainty always surrounding Murphy he’s the insurance)

maxresdefault.jpg

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

BLACK - Guaranteed roster spot (excluding major injury or suspension)

BLUE - Probable roster spot

Tight End

Lee Smith

Wide Receivers

Robert Foster

Zay Jones

Defensive Line

Trent Murphy

Linebacker

Vosean Joseph

I think these in black are probables, and these blues are locks.

Pretty close across the board. 

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Yeah I'm not sure what they'll do. My only point was that I'd downgrade Roberts from probably to having to fight for his roster spot. He's a really good return guy, I get that but that may not be enough.

I think it would be enough. I believe that Roberts' return ability is the primary reason they acquired him. He may barely see the field on offense.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nice job GB!! I’ll nitpick a little but nothing major:

Zay to black

Maurice Alexander to red

Jordan Phillips to black

DiMarco to red

Shaq to black (with the uncertainty always surrounding Murphy he’s the insurance)

I agree Zay to black. I certainly wouldn't put him above Foster on the depth chart.

Edited by Rocky Landing

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree 100% with your listings.  Going into camp it's pretty straight forward where they all stand right now, IMO.

But of course injuries,  acquisitions(and possibly departures) and a few guys playing up or down from their rank will change the final roster slightly.   The biggest decisions will be on the OL.   Cutting guys like Teller or Boettger in favor of older players might be a good short term play that looks bad in a couple years but those are good problems to have.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree 100% with your listings.  Going into camp it's pretty straight forward where they all stand right now, IMO.

But of course injuries,  acquisitions(and possibly departures) and a few guys playing up or down from their rank will change the final roster slightly.   The biggest decisions will be on the OL.   Cutting guys like Teller or Boettger in favor of older players might be a good short term play that looks bad in a couple years but those are good problems to have.

Would the 500K signing bonus make it tough to release Yeldon or is that too little to care about.

On 5/29/2019 at 4:17 PM, Rocky Landing said:

- I think that whether Tyree Jackson makes the team depends largely on how well he plays in preseason. If he shows even a little promise, I would think that McD, and Beane would not feel comfortable putting him on the practice squad. A 6'7", athletic QB, with a cannon for an arm, who shows any amount of potential would get snatched up pretty quickly off the PS, I would think. In fact, he may end up as a lock well before TC is done.

+1

Matt Barkley is not our franchise #2, but Tyree may well be.  If Tyree looks good, they may even dump Barkley early like they did AJ last year … well, hopefully not.

2 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

+1

Matt Barkley is not our franchise #2, but Tyree may well be.  If Tyree looks good, they may even dump Barkley early like they did AJ last year … well, hopefully not.

That would be a huge mistake to dump a proven backup based upon the preseason performance of a UDFA rookie. They dropped AJ based on Late Nate Peterman's preseason performance, and look what happened. I would lose an enormous amount of confidence in McD, and Beanie if they failed to learn from that error.

• Thank you (+1) 2