Gunner's Roster Thread 2019

Back, by absolutely NO popular demand, here is Gunner's roster thread. As the regulars among you will recall this isn't just a projection of who makes the roster this is a bit more nuanced. It is trying to categorise the locks, the likelies and the hopefuls. Here is my first stab at categorising the players currently on the Bills' 2019 roster (missed a few out who I consider basically no-hopers but if one flashes I will add in later updates).

BLACK - Guaranteed roster spot (excluding major injury or suspension)

BLUE - Probable roster spot

RED - Fighting for those last few spots

All clear? Then let us begin....

Quarterback

Josh Allen

Matt Barkley

Tyree Jackson

Running Back

LeSean McCoy

Devin Singletary

Frank Gore

Patrick DiMarco

T.J Yeldon

Marcus Murphy

Christian Wade

Senorise Perry

Tight End

Tyler Kroft (remember this is excluding major injury - chance he is IR'd very little chance he is flat out released)

Dawson Knox

Lee Smith

Tommy Sweeney

Jason Croom

Wide Receivers

John Brown

Cole Beasley

Robert Foster

Zay Jones

Andre Roberts

Isaiah McKenzie

Duke Williams

David Sills

Ray-Ray McCloud

Nick Easley

Cam Phillips

Offensive Line

Dion Dawkins

Mitch Morse

Cody Ford

Ty Nsekhe

Quinton Spain

Jon Feliciano

Spencer Long

Russell Bodine

LeAdrian Waddle

Vlad Ducasse

Wyatt Teller

Conor McDermott

Jerimiah Sirles

De'Ondre Wesley

Ike Boettger

Defensive Line

Ed Oliver

Harrison Phillips

Star Lotulelei

Jerry Hughes

Trent Murphy

Jordan Phillips

Shaq Lawson

Eddie Yarbrough

Eli Harold

Mike Love

Darryl Johnson

Terrence Fede

Robert Thomas

Linebacker

Tremaine Edmunds

Matt Milano

Vosean Joseph

Lorenzo Alexander

Maurice Alexander

Julian Stanford

Deon Lacey

Tyrel Dodson

Corey Thompson

Cornerback

Tre'Davious White

Levi Wallace

EJ Gaines

Taron Johnson

Kevin Johnson

Ryan Lewis

Lafayette Pitts

Denzel Rice

Cam Lewis

Safety

Jordan Poyer

Micah Hyde

Rafael Bush

Jaquan Johnson

Siran Neal

Dean Marlowe

Special Teams

Stephen Hauschka

Reid Ferguson

Cory Carter

Corey Bojorquez

Chase McLoughlin

Before anyone raises it - yes - one of the two punters will likely make the team. But I don't know that either has a leg up at this early stage, both are coming off long term injury and it isn't beyond the realm of possibility they end up bringing in a guy a week or so before the season as they did last year. For these reasons I don't think you can call either of them "probable" at this stage. They are the very definition of battling for a roster spot.

That gives me:

31 locks;

13 probables;

9 spots very much up for grabs.

Thought interesting to do a comparison with where we were when I started this thread last year (which was later it was the eve of camp so not quite a like for like comparison but close enough). Last year I had:

28 locks;

15 probables;

10 spots up for grabs.

Of my 28 locks last year 27 made the 53 (Colton Schmidt didn't though obviously did end up back here for a spell in the course of the season) and of my 15 probables the only two that didn't - AJ McCarron and Marshall Newhouse - were traded away.

Okay TBD.... as you always do.... let me have it!

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

A couple of changes I would make:

Frank Gore and Jordan Phillips are locks imo

Both were close calls. I think both make it but the reason I bumped them down to probable is I can forsee a situation where say Singletary lights it up in pre-season and they want their 3rd back to be more of a teams contributor and with Jordan I just think he is so inconsistent snap to snap. Again think he likely makes it but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that he absolutely sucks in pre-season and gets himself cut. Equally as likely I could see him blowing it up and pushing to start.... he is just a really tough guy to figure out.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Both were close calls. I think both make it but the reason I bumped them down to probable is I can forsee a situation where say Singletary lights it up in pre-season and they want their 3rd back to be more of a teams contributor and with Jordan I just think he is so inconsistent snap to snap. Again think he likely makes it but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that he absolutely sucks in pre-season and gets himself cut. Equally as likely I could see him blowing it up and pushing to start.... he is just a really tough guy to figure out.

I think you do make a pretty good argument about Singletary (I am a fan), I just dont see the depth behind Phillips and I think he earned him self some benefit of the doubt last year, but overall I think this is a good list at this time

Agree Gore and Phillips are locks baring injury

Your OL is short an OT.  I think Waddle is a near lock with Ford, Dawkins, and Nsekhe.  I also dont think Feliciano is any more likely to get a roster spot than Teller. Long is probably more likely to beat out Bodine based on overall performance in the league, but Bodine was better than Long in 2018. Long when not injured is the better player. With Morse injury history I think the ability to play center will ultimately win Long a roster spot. If he is just a guard, then they will keep Bodine and it will be a battle between Long, Feliciano, and Teller for starter and backup opposite Spain.

Just now, K-9 said:

Did you really just say none of the punters has a leg up in the competition for a roster spot?

I did. Good spot.

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

Great post Gunner! I see Yeldon and Gore as locks along with Jordan Phillips. On a side note- does Gunner refer to football gunner or military gunner i.e. Marines and Army?

It refers to the team currently getting beaten 1-0 in the Europa League Final.

• Haha (+1) 1

How many OL does a team typically keep?  10?  I think Feliciano and Long are locks, and the rest of the guys are fighting for the remaining three slots.

I think the "pro's pro" (what everyone should say when referring to Gore, lol) is a lock.

I think Murphy (DL) is a lock.

This is the thread I have been waiting for!

Thoughts:

- This list seems rather spot on.

- I think that whether Tyree Jackson makes the team depends largely on how well he plays in preseason. If he shows even a little promise, I would think that McD, and Beane would not feel comfortable putting him on the practice squad. A 6'7", athletic QB, with a cannon for an arm, who shows any amount of potential would get snatched up pretty quickly off the PS, I would think. In fact, he may end up as a lock well before TC is done.

- Is Patrick DiMarco still relevant?

- This list shows our lack of depth at LB. Also at Safety. But, man, we look deep at CB.

- I would hope that we carry seven WRs, assuming that Andre Roberts is primarily special teams. Also, there's a few of those guys in red that I really hope get a shot!

1 minute ago, eball said:

How many OL does a team typically keep?  10?  I think Feliciano and Long are locks, and the rest of the guys are fighting for the remaining three slots.

I think the "pro's pro" (what everyone should say when referring to Gore, lol) is a lock.

I think Murphy (DL) is a lock.

9 is the most common OL number. But anywhere between 8 and 10.

• Like (+1) 1