Chris Brown: Josh in No Huddle is Dialed in

What the Bills need to be able to do is VARY their pacing on offense. That's what the Pats do.

There are times when they run an incredibly fast no huddle. There are times when they run a medium-speed "muddle huddle". There are times when they run the play clock down to one second and snap it. Sometimes, they switch up these various tactics in the same DRIVE. Fast, fast, fast, then slow it down. Bleed the clock, bleed it, bleed it, then hurry to the line and snap it. It is that varied offensive speed that gives defenses so much trouble. JUST running a no huddle all the time or JUST playing ball control isn't the way to do it in 2019. 

Multiple, multiple, multiple. That's what the Bills offense needs to be, whether it's formations, run-pass frequency, or huddle-up speed.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

On WGR right now (OBL), Chris Brown says Allen looks incredibly sharp and on point especially in 2 minute drill work, wonders if Daboll will incorporate additional no huddle elements at different spots in games like the Pats are known to do, and Daboll is familiar with that also.

Would it be too much to ask for a renaissance of our no huddle offense, version 2.0? Josh seems to be a good candidate, and our improved D could be the key in being able to absorb increased minutes on the field? What say you?

The no-huddle giveth and it taketh away?

There are times when I think going no-huddle can snap a team out if an offensive funk, get them into a rhythm, and keep a defense from making adjustments.

Or, if you are playing catchup in the 2nd half of a game and want to squeeze in more offensive plays.

On the flip side, if you don't execute you go 3 and out in 30 seconds or so and your defense is gassed and back on the field.

Situational call by the coaches, but it has its uses and should be a part of any playbook I think.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Negan said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills are in the Super Bowl this year

You basically need to screen shot this so you would have the best possible "I told you so" in the history of this franchise--but I'm with you in spirit, even though I won't go quite that far on paper. ;) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

52 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

On WGR right now (OBL), Chris Brown says Allen looks incredibly sharp and on point especially in 2 minute drill work, wonders if Daboll will incorporate additional no huddle elements at different spots in games like the Pats are known to do, and Daboll is familiar with that also.

Would it be too much to ask for a renaissance of our no huddle offense, version 2.0? Josh seems to be a good candidate, and our improved D could be the key in being able to absorb increased minutes on the field? What say you?

That is one thing I have always suspected would start to come into the rotation given how smart he is and the student of the game type mentality.  Being smart is by no means a guarantee you can execute an effective no huddle, but it certainly helps.  At the end of the day, it will boil down to Josh ability to apply that intellect and study habits to effectively read defenses...and if he does it well, watch out.  

A guy like Allen in a no huddle with these guys around him could be a nightmare for defenses to cover.  Between his arm strength, his ability to run himself alone it will be tough...but add in a good run game with the RB's and revamped OL, and new receiving threats that put pressure deep, mid field and short...and yikes, no huddle could be a huge weapon for us.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

The first one was under Jauron with Edwards, and the second was under Marrone with Manuel.

Correct    BUT  

Moron Marrone only executed the NH when EJ was under center.   AND no one else during the season when EJ was injured.  

How stupid was that?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Negan said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills are in the Super Bowl this year

Me neither, which is why I put $100 on them to win the AFCC game and $100 to win the SB.  If they do win the SB, that translates into just over $16,000 in winnings.  And given I put $500 down on the over 6.5 win total, I am basically free rolling on the two $100 bets I put down on the AFCC and SB because that $500 is a lock bet.  So in reality, even if Bills dont make the SB, I will still be up $300 :)  BOOM.  

This is my favorite bet of all time. 

• Like (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, WideNine said:

The no-huddle giveth and it taketh away?

There are times when I think going no-huddle can snap a team out if an offensive funk, get them into a rhythm, and keep a defense from making adjustments.

Or, if you are playing catchup in the 2nd half of a game and want to squeeze in more offensive plays.

On the flip side, if you don't execute you go 3 and out in 30 seconds or so and your defense is gassed and back on the field.

Situational call by the coaches, but it has its uses and should be a part of any playbook I think.

We need to see a big uptick in our points per game average--16.8 over the course of all of 2018. More offensive plays in theory would help this as well.   

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/3/4/18245002/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-wants-to-score-21-points-per-game-nfl-offseason-combine 

glad to see josh is looking good early. Means nothing but good to hear.

As for no huddle. I know its a part of our history but I could care less if its ever re invented here. All I want is a an offense that when its 3rd and long you still feel like we got this. That's what I remember from the Kelly No Huddle days. 3rd and long.. pffffft we got it

You know what I think? I think that Chris Brown is one of (if not the) the most tenured people at OBD, and I think it's about time we transition... I associate him with all kinds of horrible football teams. 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Me neither, which is why I put $100 on them to win the AFCC game and $100 to win the SB.  If they do win the SB, that translates into just over $16,000 in winnings.  And given I put $500 down on the over 6.5 win total, I am basically free rolling on the two $100 bets I put down on the AFCC and SB because that $500 is a lock bet.  So in reality, even if Bills dont make the SB, I will still be up $300 :)  BOOM.  

This is my favorite bet of all time. 

There's a version of this that ends very badly for you... 

Edited by whatdrought

11 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

We need to see a big uptick in our points per game average--16.8 over the course of all of 2018. More offensive plays in theory would help this as well.   

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/3/4/18245002/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-wants-to-score-21-points-per-game-nfl-offseason-combine 

Oh this will piss people off 

EJ Manuel averaged 22 - 24 PPG  in his first two seasons   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You know what I think? I think that Chris Brown is one of (if not the) the most tenured people at OBD, and I think it's about time we transition... I associate him with all kinds of horrible football teams. 

There's a version of this that ends very badly for you... 

And whats that?  I lose $700 total because Bills win 6 games or less?  Lol, thats the same price of just one of my fantasy leagues (well $650 actually)...not a big deal.  And the over 6.5 is about the closest bet I have ever seen to a "lock" in sports betting.  Nothing is EVER a lock...but this is about as close as it gets.  We won 6 games last year despite having NP and DA play multiple games, having an atrocious OL, no run game, and no WR's to go with a rookie QB who didn't even get a lot of first unit snaps in camp and preseason.  

I think I will be ok ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And whats that?  I lose $700 total because Bills win 6 games or less?  Lol, thats the same price of just one of my fantasy leagues (well $650 actually)...not a big deal.  And the over 6.5 is about the closest bet I have ever seen to a "lock" in sports betting.  Nothing is EVER a lock...but this is about as close as it gets.  We won 6 games last year despite having NP and DA play multiple games, having an atrocious OL, no run game, and no WR's to go with a rookie QB who didn't even get a lot of first unit snaps in camp and preseason.  

I think I will be ok ;)

You lose $700 AND the bills win less than 7 games. (doesn't it have to be 7 to cash the over on 6.5?) 

I couldn't bet on the bills cause I get too hurt when they lose anyways... I don't need that lemon juice. 

More power to ya though- it does sound like a relatively safe bet. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I get it. Nothing worse than a mindless sycophant who's collecting a paycheck to only tout the company line, day in and out. However, that's also why I linked earlier in the thread to Sal's piece about Allen's performance so far, because of the additional cites in Sal's article to other media members (who are not tied to the hip with OBD) all saying the same thing (concerning how good Allen's passes are), which gives Brownie's take on WGR today more credibility in this instance. Allen's either hitting his targets or he's not, and no one has said otherwise, that he's struggling with accuracy or the like. So isn't it great when propaganda accurately intersects with real life?   :beer: