Chris Brown: Josh in No Huddle is Dialed in

50 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yes, it's May. If you're not interested in any football between OTAs and preseason, the forum will still be here in September.

A typical response from most on this board.  You clearly missed the point, but that's ok, you usually do!

1 hour ago, clearwater cadet said:

I remember that, we were playing the Pats at Home, leading with about a bit over 4 mins on the clock in the 4th, and they run the no huddle which we went 3 and out in about 30 sec.  They gave the ball back to Tommy terrific with over 3 mins and 3 times.  I don't have to tell you how it ended. 

Too bad Buddy Ryan wasn't our DC then.....now THAT woulda been entertaining!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Install a Rub Route and audible Kraft 

or Orchid 

...this IS a PG-13 site you know........but another choice for a Kraft audible could be "Limp Bisquit".......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

On WGR right now (OBL), Chris Brown says Allen looks incredibly sharp and on point especially in 2 minute drill work, wonders if Daboll will incorporate additional no huddle elements at different spots in games like the Pats are known to do, and Daboll is familiar with that also.

Would it be too much to ask for a renaissance of our no huddle offense, version 2.0? Josh seems to be a good candidate, and our improved D could be the key in being able to absorb increased minutes on the field? What say you?

(at the 28:40 mark) 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/5-29-hr-1-one-bills-live

I don’t doubt that he looks good but I also learned to take what Chris Brown says with a grain of salt back in 2006.  His reporting is fluff.  I hope he’s right but don’t have any confidence in his opinion.  I think he said Peterman looked good at OTA’s last year too

I can see Allen being very at home in the NH..It seems his style. Frees him up.

Again....its gonna be all about his passing.Can the subtleties AND accuracy be taught?

I give it a 50/50 shot...-I mean in his ability to become a good NFL QB....Which is way better than the 0% shot

of everyone we have had in there post Flutie.(yes i include the wooden statue with the great arm)

55 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

A typical response from most on this board.  You clearly missed the point, but that's ok, you usually do!

What was the point? That I'm not allowed to feel good about the team in May? This forum is filled with people that are addicted to football. I wouldn't go around my office asking people why they aren't paying attention to OTAs - I'd be the crazy person in that scenario. But by the same token I don't know why there's a whole genre of posters who makes it their duty to inform this group of crazy Bills fans that we're getting too crazy. No thanks. I'll get excited right now.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think the fact that this regime took Singletary so high means he really must have impressed. His competition in college wasn't great, but he looks special like he has instincts that are exceptional. If he can catch, too, then Singletary could be special. He has a lot of upside. I would say 80% of running backs are the same, so finding a special one isn't easy, and worst case we're out a No. 74 pick. I know I sound like an old guy, but can he block. He isn't big. And a quick hitting third down back is great, but to be truly special he needs to be able to stay on the field for 3 downs.

• Like (+1) 1

My favorite "no huddle" attempt by a regime was with Dick Jauron when he announced they would run the no huddle offense.

Needless to say is was fubar from the start in preseason as the Bills cut their starting RT because he couldn't get to the line quickly enough (Langston Walker). Then, two weeks before the opener Jauron fired his OC in Turk Schonert and promoted QB coach Alex Van Pelt to OC. Trent Edwards started the season and the offense was such a mess that they scrapped the "no huddle" after a few weeks.

Meanwhile, Edwards running for his life after getting sacked 23 times in 7 games he was benched after they fired Jauron and replaced him with Perry Fewell. Good thing the Bills FO (Wilson/Brandon)extended Jauron's contract before the season.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I don’t doubt that he looks good but I also learned to take what Chris Brown says with a grain of salt back in 2006.  His reporting is fluff.  I hope he’s right but don’t have any confidence in his opinion.  I think he said Peterman looked good at OTA’s last year too

Peterman must have been good in OTAs. It’s honestly the only explanation that would make any sort of sense. 

8 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

My favorite "no huddle" attempt by a regime was with Dick Jauron when he announced they would run the no huddle offense.

Needless to say is was fubar from the start in preseason as the Bills cut their starting RT because he couldn't get to the line quickly enough (Langston Walker). Then, two weeks before the opener Jauron fired his OC in Turk Schonert and promoted QB coach Alex Van Pelt to OC. Trent Edwards started the season and the offense was such a mess that they scrapped the "no huddle" after a few weeks.

Meanwhile, Edwards running for his life after getting sacked 23 times in 7 games he was benched after they fired Jauron and replaced him with Perry Fewell. Good thing the Bills FO (Wilson/Brandon)extended Jauron's contract before the season.

Ahhhh good times..

1 hour ago, mykidsdad said:

I think the fact that this regime took Singletary so high means he really must have impressed. His competition in college wasn't great, but he looks special like he has instincts that are exceptional. If he can catch, too, then Singletary could be special. He has a lot of upside. I would say 80% of running backs are the same, so finding a special one isn't easy, and worst case we're out a No. 74 pick. I know I sound like an old guy, but can he block. He isn't big. And a quick hitting third down back is great, but to be truly special he needs to be able to stay on the field for 3 downs.

Agree.  He’s the first RB taken since McDermott started in 3 drafts if I recall 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

What was the point? That I'm not allowed to feel good about the team in May? This forum is filled with people that are addicted to football. I wouldn't go around my office asking people why they aren't paying attention to OTAs - I'd be the crazy person in that scenario. But by the same token I don't know why there's a whole genre of posters who makes it their duty to inform this group of crazy Bills fans that we're getting too crazy. No thanks. I'll get excited right now.

I’m almost as excited as I was on schedule release day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I had so many reservations about drafting Allen, I will admit. I saw the numbers and got nervous.

his first year gave me hope. He wasn’t amazing but he showed his tangible assets (mobility & arm strength) along with some intangibles (moxie, leadership, some clutch ability), that gave me hope.

A big reason I believe he will be able to prove a lot of these people wrong is that a lot of people don’t understand how raw he is. He wasn’t highly recruited for football out of high school. He went to JUCO for a year I believe, then was at a terrible program at Wyoming. He didn’t get the reps with a good coaching staff that guys like Mayfield, Darnold and most other QB’s receive from the time they’re in high school nowadays. His learning curve will be that much higher then because he’s starting from such a low base of being prepared for the league.

His potential in my opinion is unlimited due to these setbacks he faced coming out of college. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

I like using the no-huddle opportunistically to:

• Prevent defensive substitutions when there is a personnel miss-match in our favor
  • When a reviewable play has gone our way - to minimize time for opponents review
  • We are losing and a few more plays are in our best interest
  • Random Moments - to catch the defense flat-footed or in the middle of a substitution (I hate it when every play starts with one second on the play clock - the defense can time the snap too easily)

The opportunistic no-huddle has much more value to me than always running the no-huddle.  I hate complementing the Pats*, but they do this well.

Bingo.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If the offense is substituting players the defense has the right to match personnel. The umpire will stand over the ball and not let it be snapped

so hypothetically the play  before the no huddle started the defense would be allowed to match personnel

Right and if the package works to our favor we can keep them in it was his point.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Ok, the point was many busts look amazing in OTA's.  Rob Johnson and JP Losman come to mind.  Any NFL QB can look great without a pass rush, even Nathan Peterman.  That's the point, no stock should be put into anything until the regular season starts, in my opinion.

Edited by Dablitzkrieg

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Our entire process at TBD is dissecting and overanalyzing everything 365 days a year. It's what we do. And if we can wail and gnash our teeth over every setback, then we are entitled to be giddy when things are running smoothly. 

I also find it humorous how the pundits (Jeremy White) are compelled to couch every positive bit from the Bills, while taking every story about Darnold, Mayfield, even Murray and Haskins, as proof those teams are going to compete. It's the doublest of standards 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I actually like Allen in the no huddle quite a bit. He SEEMS to have his biggest issues accuracy wise when he's overthinking a throw. Speed up the pace and just let him sling it. It's not something you want to do throughout an entire game, but it can be really useful in spots.

• Like (+1) 3