‘The culture starts with Sean’: How the coach’s voracious learning habits are rubbing off on the Bills (Athletic article)

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/barkley-ready-whatever-role-needed-after-wild-journey-landed-him-bills

Chicago was the only other place Barkley had played an NFL game, but the Bears are hardly the only other franchise he’s played for. Since being drafted by Philadelphia in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft, the former USC quarterback has signed contracts to play for the Eagles, Bears, Arizona Cardinals (twice), San Francisco 49ers, Cincinnati Bengals, and the Bills. Counting both stints in Arizona, Barkley is now on his seventh team in seven years.

But Barkley, who will turn 29 the day before the Bills open the regular season against the Jets, believes he’s finally found his perfect home. That’s why he decided to re-sign a two-year deal with the Bills back in December. 

“Yeah, that was a no-brainer,” he said of the decision to re-sign. “I love it here. Probably my favorite, just culture, that I've been in so far, where guys are playing for each other, believe in each other, and what coach McDermott is building is very unique, I think, among the NFL. The situation as a whole here has been in my favorite, for whatever reason.”

I plan on playing for many years after this, but I feel the most comfortable I've ever been in any situation. For the first time I'm the oldest quarterback on the roster. I have plenty of experience with this team coming back, with a staff that believes in me, and we all get along. We all learn from each other. We're helping each other out.

And it's probably the most conducive environment to getting better that I've been in.”

Pretty cool to read. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So to add my two penneth.... the Bills did commit too many penalties last year but they were largely in the category that I would put down to overmatched talent and bad technique rather than out of control ill discipline. That doesn't give McDermott a total pass - he is the Head Coach and he is ultimately accountable. As I have said many times he chose to tear down the roster and attempt a total rebuild. That was his (or at least his and Brandon Beane's) choice. That choice was one of the reasons we ended up with overmatched talent and it was poorly coached by the very first hire he made to the coaching staff in Buffalo - his hand picked offensive line coach Juan Castillo. There was no reason to think Castillo would succeed, he hasn't produced a good offensive line in years. I was pleasantly surprised that the Bills cut ties with him in the offseason. The one element of McDermott's personality that does grate with me is the constant faith and family stuff and I rather suspected that might result in too much loyalty. But he did cut ties.

So ultimately, yes, McDermott is accountable for the high penalty numbers - the poor talent and poor coaching do come back to him in the end.

On Lynn, I like Anthony Lynn and I'd have been perfectly happy for him to get the job here in 2017. However, McDermott was my number 1 candidate from a year out. I wanted to fire Rex and hire McDermott after one season. They have taken very different approaches, but they were very different situations. Lynn was taking on a franchise QB in his twilight years and having to improve what was around him. McDermott was taking on a not untalented core of players but without a franchise QB. Lynn's done a good job in LA especially given the struggles that franchise has more broadly. But I still have full belief in McDermott. I think the guy is a really good leader and I think he can coach. Winning 15 games over the last two years with the talent he has had is a good return. Again, I totally agree it was his choice to do the tear down but now finally after the two years of getting by I think he has a roster with enough talent to genuinely compete. This next year will tell us a lot. Is McDermott one of those guys who can genuinely get the most out of all levels of talent or is he a guy (and they do exist) who excels getting the most out of under talented players but struggles to get the same buy in and commitment to enable him to get the most of genuine talent? I think he is the former.... but 2019 will go a long way to giving us an answer.

For some reason there is a faction of people who think that false starts and holding on offense aren't undisciplined penalties but that their defensive versions are.:doh: 

It's simply not the case.    The Raiders were the best team in the AFC over a two decade stretch and basically lead the league in penalties every year.    They were mostly penalties of aggression and such a small percentage were called that playing that style BENEFITTED them.     

The Bills don't play that way..........they aren't imposing their will on anyone..........they try to play fundamentally sound field-position football and win the turnover battle and let the chips fall where they may..............which is why being the 5th most penalized yardage team in football was a very poor turn of events.

As you said........the excuses for near bottom of the league performance in any significant area are over now.........nobody gets 4 comfortable years to re-build an NFL team.    They need to start showing tangible progress.     Fortunately there is a lot of room for that.     Evening up the woeful point differential of the past two seasons might even help buy him more time if they can't emerge as a contender.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For some reason there is a faction of people who think that false starts and holding on offense aren't undisciplined penalties but that their defensive versions are.:doh: 

Holding later in a play on offense or blocking in the back downfield I can have as undisciplined and over aggressive. The plays where our offensive line were just technically sloppy and got beat off the snap without a defender needing to do anything and then panic grab (and there were tons of those) or not being able to line up not in the neutral zone. That is just poor technique. Defensive holding can be poor technique and panic grabbing too - I just didn't see as much of that by the Bills. What I saw on offensive was a load of holds from guys who were really bad and just overmatched. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

This idea of building a good culture to win is pure pablum.  It’s happy-talk for coaches and source material for more articles, but makes fans feel good about the state of their favorite team.    

That said, writers don’t really have much to offer this time of year aside from glowing pieces about individual players and coaches.  Not surprisingly, this is Sal's specialty and I’m not sure he has ever written a critical word about the team.  I tend to ignore what he says given his pro-team mindset that conveniently skims over the poor moves and game results.  

I have no issue with Barkley as backup, and loved that he befriended WWII Prisoner of War Louis Zamperini.  But what else would you expect him to say after inking a 2 year deal late last season?   

And contrary to Cappacio's article, Barkley has played regular season games for 3 teams: Buffalo, Chicago, and Philadelphia.  It would be prudent of the Bills’ beat writer to better research his articles before posting them.     

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

How many one year coaches has he had? I can only think of Dennison.

Well, just because he only fired one assistant, Dennison, certainly doesn't mean that there were others that deserved a second season -- or should have even been hired in the first place.    Certainly not hiring an experienced QB coach after they decided to draft a first round QB was also a major mistake IMO.   Their QB coached last actually coached QBs back in his days as a collegiate assistant thirty years ago.

19 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Well, just because he only fired one assistant, Dennison, certainly doesn't mean that there were others that deserved a second season -- or should have even been hired in the first place.    Certainly not hiring an experienced QB coach after they decided to draft a first round QB was also a major mistake IMO.   Their QB coached last actually coached QBs back in his days as a collegiate assistant thirty years ago.

Don't forget Danny Crosshairs............his coaching has been a fireable offense nearly every season since he's been a ST coach in the NFL and his seat always comes pre-heated at his next job by his resume........and yet McD held onto him for two years.:doh:   

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Holding later in a play on offense or blocking in the back downfield I can have as undisciplined and over aggressive. The plays where our offensive line were just technically sloppy and got beat off the snap without a defender needing to do anything and then panic grab (and there were tons of those) or not being able to line up not in the neutral zone. That is just poor technique. Defensive holding can be poor technique and panic grabbing too - I just didn't see as much of that by the Bills. What I saw on offensive was a load of holds from guys who were really bad and just overmatched. 

Well the OL coach was really bad so maybe they were just copying what they see other offense line due with Hughes in attempt to learn.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Not arguing your point. I was seriously inquiring because I couldn't think of another coach that was let go by McD after one season. 

Loyalty is a great trait, but in some cases, it can be a flaw...being too loyal, anyways. At least McDermott has shown (a little bit, I guess) that he understands the business side of football, and that being too loyal can land you in the unemployment line.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Nitpicking here, but in 15 games as HC, Rex's Bills had one less "12 men" call than McD in 16 games (5 & 4 respectively). 

Problem is all 5 were in 2016

I was being a bit sarcastic. The lack of organization from the Bills defense under Rex' second year was befuddling after adding some Coaches..

I do appreciate your keeping me straight, and the rest of us : )
McD showed plenty of first year struggles.. Challenges come to mind.

as long as he is recognizing the issues and working on them?

seems i still have Ryan trauma ,..

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

No, he was his first hire before he even hired an OC.

I have to think his options were rather limited. for more than one reason.

The hardest lesson he may have learned so far is when to decide , that someones "  skill set "   is not good enough.
He was a defensive  Guy all along. He  trusted Castillo in character. He  may have come to realize the limitations and , then adjusted perhaps ?
 i have a feel he was watching Daboll for awhile. Pegulas helped make that happen i bet.
Go Bills

Edited by 3rdand12

9 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Not arguing your point. I was seriously inquiring because I couldn't think of another coach that was let go by McD after one season. 

Loyalty is a great trait, but in some cases, it can be a flaw...being too loyal, anyways. At least McDermott has shown (a little bit, I guess) that he understands the business side of football, and that being too loyal can land you in the unemployment line.

We are onto a third receivers coach in three years. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I was being a bit sarcastic. The lack of organization from the Bills defense under Rex' second year was befuddling after adding some Coaches..

I do appreciate your keeping me straight, and the rest of us : )
McD showed plenty of first year struggles.. Challenges come to mind.

as long as he is recognizing the issues and working on them?

seems i still have Ryan trauma ,..

The Ryan era was pretty rough looking back on it, but what makes it worse is that we pretty much saw it (the end result) coming. We all knew his past. Year one wasn't so bad, but we could see signs of what was to come...from inviting Rob to practices late in the season, to Clemson helmets at a PC, to "winning the offseason"...he set a lofty expectation with the "get ready because we're going" intro PC, but it was just more talk that followed.

Rex may have brought "fun" and attention to Buffalo with sky dives and wrapped trucks and trips to Dave and Busters or bowling alleys with the team, but that kind of fun doesn't equate to success in the NFL. When fans criticize "fluff" stuff regarding McDermott and this staff, regardless of how positive and encouraging it may be, I can't hate on them for it. In the end, results on the field is all that matters, and despite some encouraging things, there have been some pretty glaring issues under McD. Nothing in the disfunction category, like cheerleader lawsuits, HC/GM rifts, sexual misconduct allegations, etc., but things that warrant criticism (ill advised challege flags is probably most glaring). But I do think that we should put everything in perspective when criticizing something or someone.

Criticizing the coach for not being more aggressive or proactive/dictating during games, when the roster limits the ability to do so, isn't accurate IMO. Criticizing the coach for questionable coaching hires is warranted, but it's important to remember that the HC is still learning how to do his job, and typically the HCs with several years of experience at the position are typically the ones that get the better assistant coaches, because they generally have a better track record in that role (they have to in order to be a HC for several years). The franchise also plays a role, and the Bills were in disarray when McD was hired. Everyone wanted McCoy (I wonder how that would have turned out), but he passed on the Bills. The fact that McD was able to hire a former HC in Frazier was surprising to me, and also very important for a rookie HC. He may not have been very successful as a HC, but there's no doubt that he has been a pivitol figure for McDermott to learn from on the fly.

Some will say that he should be criticized for lack of aggression due to lack of roster, because he is responsible for the roster (and Beane). And while it's tough to argue against, again, perspective is needed. The comparison of McDermott to Anthony Lynn came up earlier in this thread, but they're two totally different situations to compare. Lynn already had a better roster. McDermott had a worse roster with what would have become a tough cap situation. He and Beane chose a different path, but it was one that was necessary in order to bring structure and stability to the team. Based on the moves made im two years, and the results, I think this team is right where it should be, based on the long term plan. Now, it is time, though, to see progress. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We are onto a third receivers coach in three years. 

Bills fire defensive backs coach Gill Byrd, hire John Butler

By JOHN WAWROWJanuary 30, 2018

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott continues shuffling his staff by hiring former Houston Texans defensive backs coach John Butler to replace Gill Byrd, who was fired after one season.

Butler spent the past four seasons in the same role with the Texans before being fired after their season ended. He previously worked as a coach at the college level and has ties to McDermott. Both grew up in the Philadelphia area and played on the same high school football team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Bills fire defensive backs coach Gill Byrd, hire John Butler

By JOHN WAWROWJanuary 30, 2018

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott continues shuffling his staff by hiring former Houston Texans defensive backs coach John Butler to replace Gill Byrd, who was fired after one season.

Butler spent the past four seasons in the same role with the Texans before being fired after their season ended. He previously worked as a coach at the college level and has ties to McDermott. Both grew up in the Philadelphia area and played on the same high school football team.

Yes that was an interesting fire / hire.  Some coaches after being fired drop out of market completely.  Gil Byrd is coaching in college working for Lovie Smith who he has Bears connections to from 2006-2012. Sometimes it is not what you do (there can be more qualified candidates) but who you know.

https://fightingillini.com/news/2018/2/20/football-gill-byrd-named-illini-safeties-coach.aspx

February 23, 2018

Illinois head football coach Lovie Smith named longtime NFL assistant coach Gill Byrd to the Fighting Illini defensive staff as passing game coordinator and safeties coach. Byrd comes to Champaign-Urbana after one season as defensive backs coach for the Buffalo Bills, following stops with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2014-15), Chicago Bears (2006-12) and St. Louis Rams (2003-05). 

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes that was an interesting fire / hire.  Some coaches after being fired drop out of market completely.  Gil Byrd is coaching in college working for Lovie Smith who he has Bears connections to from 2006-2012. Sometimes it is not what you do (there can be more qualified candidates) but who you know.

https://fightingillini.com/news/2018/2/20/football-gill-byrd-named-illini-safeties-coach.aspx

February 23, 2018

Illinois head football coach Lovie Smith named longtime NFL assistant coach Gill Byrd to the Fighting Illini defensive staff as passing game coordinator and safeties coach. Byrd comes to Champaign-Urbana after one season as defensive backs coach for the Buffalo Bills, following stops with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2014-15), Chicago Bears (2006-12) and St. Louis Rams (2003-05). 

...good stuff.....and now Marvin Lewis is on Herm Edwards' staff at ASU.....Dopey Dickie Jauron is a ball boy in the Lingerie League............