‘The culture starts with Sean’: How the coach’s voracious learning habits are rubbing off on the Bills (Athletic article)

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://theathletic.com/999287/2019/05/29/the-culture-starts-with-sean-how-the-coachs-voracious-learning-habits-are-rubbing-off-on-the-bills/

Excellent article on the Athletic (Sub. required, sorry I tried to share as much as we are allowed to here). 

One of the the things I love the most about McD is that he’s always trying to learn and grow as a coach+leader.

Ill be anxious to to see how McDermott and new Sabres coach Ralph Krueger get along. They both share a lot of similarities and I’ll be very surprised if they don’t use each other as resources. 

Hopefully both buffalo teams have their long term coaches! 

The owners made a mistake when they hired Rex. The owners made a good decision when they fired the huckster. And then the owners made a terrific decision when they hired the wrestling coach. The owners are learning, growing and evolving as owners. The same cycle of learning and evolving with their ownership of the hockey team is occurring . They deserve credit. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Then you missed a lot of good football

That's humorous.

So you would characterize the 2nd halves of the Ravens, Chargers, Packers, Bears, Colts, and Patriots games as "good football", highly entertaining, enjoyable, and rewarding for Bills fans?  Pretty confident that 99 out of 100 Bills fans are on the other end of that spectrum...

50 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

My expectations for this year are a little tempered since we all knew Josh would take a little longer to develop.  This will be Allen's first full season. I would be very satisfied with 8-9 wins after a 6 win season. As others have so eloquently said, "baby steps". 2020 is when we start the AFCE dominance (barring a shutdown).

Its wild that this doesn't get mentioned more.  I have to believe the Pegulas are on board with this plan. I say this in all sincerity: people saying there is any scenario this staff gets fired after next year, regardless of the outcome, just haven't been paying attention. 

1 minute ago, mushypeaches said:

That's humorous.

So you would characterize the 2nd halves of the Ravens, Chargers, Packers, Bears, Colts, and Patriots games as "good football", highly entertaining, enjoyable, and rewarding for Bills fans?  Pretty confident that 99 out of 100 Bills fans are on the other end of that spectrum...

Football is football, and the season is short. A lot of strong opinions for a guy that doesn't watch that much Bills football. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Chemical said:

We get it you don't like repetitive, senseless negativity. Some people take a critical look at players/coaches. Don't take it personally. 

Corrected for accuracy.  And I don't.  I'm having a lot of fun with this.  You should try it!

11 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

That's humorous.

So let me get this straight...you claim to have turned these games off at half time and therefore didn’t watch the second half and now you want to debate the merits of something you didn’t watch?

lmao.  Classic TSW.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So let me get this straight...you claim to have turned these games off at half time and therefore didn’t watch the second half and now you want to debate the merits of something you didn’t watch?

lmao.  Classic TSW.  

Well actually  ...    halftime of the Ravens game it was 50 deg and still raining ,   I left the stadium at the half 

On TV ..   I give them at least 5 minutes of the 4th to show me something / a spark / hope,   otherwise I will change the channel 

The other aspect to this is .... (not me 100%)  All the stats garnered don't seem to count because it is  Garbage Time

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Do you honestly think he's not also focused on those things?  Come on now.

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm really confident the Bills are going to be great precisely because McDermott cares about all of this stuff.  He is perpetually about getting better at everything.   I don't think we have to worry that he's missing something.  He isn't forgetting about tight-end play, he isn't forgetting about changing offenses, he isn't forgetting about game preparation.  He isn't forgetting about anything.   That's the whole point.   

But I did not specially read that he's doing those things in the few choice quotes on the first page, therefore it's not happening... ?

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Then you missed a lot of good football

Do fans really turn off Bills games at halftime?  I almost always watch till the end - there are only so many games, might as well watch what you can! :beer:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sean McDermott gets a lot of criticism on this board.  But here are the facts:

In his first year, the Bills were almost universally expected to finish as one of the NFL's worst teams.  From the media to their own fanbase.  And once Brandon Beane started purging the roster in the preseason (Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby) the word "tanking" started circulating around.  Yet the Bills ended up finishing 9-7 and breaking their streak of playoff-less seasons.

Last year, the roster deconstruction finally completed.  We had a rookies playing all over the roster, including at Quarterback.  The Bills were among the favorites to be picking #1 in the draft, and I couldn't count how many predictions had us winning 3 or less games.  We ended up winning twice as many games, and looked very competitive every week during the final stretch of the season.

McDermott has clearly made some mistakes - most notably the Nathan Peterman debacle.  But when all is considered, he has FAR EXCEEDED all Win/Loss expectations, considering the talent at his disposal.  Now Beane has finished his roster tear-down, and is moving into the rebuild phase.  Going into Year 3, we have stronger talent and players who have bought into the system.  I think opinions on McDermott will start turning around now that he's got something to work with.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Glad you’re having fun while adding nothing to the conversation. 

Much like the negative nincompoops who keep poo-pooing any optimistic viewpoints!

See, this IS fun!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Do fans really turn off Bills games at halftime?  I almost always watch till the end - there are only so many games, might as well watch what you can! :beer:

I watch until the bitter end every time. 

There haven't been many years in the past 20 years where wins and losses affected anything more than our draft position, so I've been pretty calm on Sunday's watching more for team/player development than wins and losses.  This year feels different as we are focused on competing for a playoff spot so every game will have more intensity for me.  I'm already pumped for Week 1 against the Jets which is a game that has significant playoff implications.  

• The Jets have a tough start to the season and we are the early winnable match for them.  A Bill's win could trigger an early meltdown in Gotham.  
  • The Bills schedule finishes much tougher than it begins, so we need to pile up wins early in the season.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

Nah. You’re more negative that anyone. You started this thread by trying to call out another poster. making a joke.

Lighten up, Francis.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Much like the negative nincompoops who keep poo-pooing any optimistic viewpoints!

See, this IS fun!

Enjoy the off-season, and I’m sincere about that, it’s most fun many fans will have this year.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Let's hope this voraciousness translates to much better replay challenge, clock, and gameday management.

Not a knock on McD, but I doubt it.  There's plenty of smart coaches who fudge all of the above.  Groupthink still dominates the head coaching ranks.  

57 minutes ago, stony said:

Not a knock on McD, but I doubt it.  There's plenty of smart coaches who fudge all of the above.  Groupthink still dominates the head coaching ranks.  

You're largely correct, but I just never see these types of errors from Belicheat.  Yet another reason we're perennial punching bags for the Cheats in the AFC Least.  

• Like (+1) 1