‘The culture starts with Sean’: How the coach’s voracious learning habits are rubbing off on the Bills (Athletic article)

13 minutes ago, Figster said:

I don't think flat out idiots with just raw talent applies to the process very well. M D comes to mind.

Josh Allen is about as talented as they come and the smartest QB in a very good draft class.

Now thats what I'm talking about...

I agree that a lot of those guys won't fit the "process" mold, but what I am implying is sometimes you might need to bite the bullet and just have talented players at certain positions despite being "process" guys or not.

I love that we found a QB that fits the mold of what our staff envisions but to expect that we fill an entire roster full of guys like that is wishful thinking.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Well said Hondo, this is exactly the point I was trying to make.  I like the effort that McDermott is putting into all the points that you've cited.  But I'd really like it if he was more focused on some of these other intangible topics, like game theory, strategic aggressiveness, etc. 

We've been woefully unprepared (totally unrelated to talent) for way too many games in the first 2 years. 

We've had too many vanilla game plans, with not enough strategic adjustments.

I think McDermott (and staff) are way too REACTIVE, and not PROACTIVE enough with game plans and play calls

These are the traits I want in a coach - someone who will push the envelope and force the opponent to beat them, instead of hoping that you don't get beaten.  Big difference

Do you honestly think he's not also focused on those things?  Come on now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

tough reality about sports is that you can have a head coach and players with all the leadership qualities and strong morals in the world but sadly, sometimes raw talent will beat you when it comes to playing on the field.

I think our team needs to find a good mix of both.

If you think of every Super Bowl winning team or even dynasty, they all had a mix of players with great qualities, and flat out idiots with just raw talent.

Of course. But as a HC, his job is to get the most out of the team he has.

And BTW I love the fact Beane and McD are truly on the same page

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

This part of the game is fascinating to me: leadership, building culture, loyalty, buy-in and so on.    I've read dozens - if  not hundreds of books - on these subject and appreciate the importance.  I'm glad McD and the staff are digging in.  

But x's and o's are important too.  I hope McD is also studying the latest gridiron tactical developments at both the college and pro level.  

And then what about preparation:  walk-thru's, film-study and  etc?  There are a lot of theories about how to best prepare a team for a season or a game.  What work is being done there?

I'm really confident the Bills are going to be great precisely because McDermott cares about all of this stuff.  He is perpetually about getting better at everything.   I don't think we have to worry that he's missing something.  He isn't forgetting about tight-end play, he isn't forgetting about changing offenses, he isn't forgetting about game preparation.  He isn't forgetting about anything.   That's the whole point.   

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

I agree that a lot of those guys won't fit the "process" mold, but what I am implying is sometimes you might need to bite the bullet and just have talented players at certain positions despite being "process" guys or not.

I love that we found a QB that fits the mold of what our staff envisions but to expect that we fill an entire roster full of guys like that is wishful thinking.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to fit the process or a low IQ to be an idiot. Tyrod Taylor had the lowest wonderlic score for starting QB's in the league. Taylor still fit the process until the process upgraded/eliminated him.

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, eball said:

Are there any Bills fans here who don't want to win?  What I'm talking about is a difference in perspective -- you can be a skeptic about everything you read and see and expect the worst, or you can look for positive signs and not remain in the past.  I'm not "worried" about being disappointed by the Buffalo Bills -- if I was, I'd have given them up a long time ago.

Maybe. Some love being negative because they want to say they knew it all along.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

while I may agree with some points 

You need to have everyone on the same page.  If 1 guy is allowed to break the mold others will want to follow suit 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, stony said:

I put a Hustler in coach's mailbox.  No mention of that.  I'll assume Fairburn's editor cut that part out.  

He read the articles you know that much.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Haha (+1) 1

Seemed like Ike a good place to put this -

”Why Leadership Starts and Ends with Relationships with Carolina Panthers Coach Sean McDermott”

https://learnloft.com/podcast/why-leadership-starts-and-ends-with-relationships/

This podcast interview is one of the reasons why I was so excited when the Bills hired McDermott. Great listen IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Well said Hondo, this is exactly the point I was trying to make.  I like the effort that McDermott is putting into all the points that you've cited.  But I'd really like it if he was more focused on some of these other intangible topics, like game theory, strategic aggressiveness, etc. 

We've been woefully unprepared (totally unrelated to talent) for way too many games in the first 2 years. 

We've had too many vanilla game plans, with not enough strategic adjustments.

I think McDermott (and staff) are way too REACTIVE, and not PROACTIVE enough with game plans and play calls

These are the traits I want in a coach - someone who will push the envelope and force the opponent to beat them, instead of hoping that you don't get beaten.  Big difference

I could argue we have had vanilla gameplans because we didn't have the talent to have a different gameplan. 

I also think McDermott gives his coordinators a lot of rope in how they run their respective groups. McDermott isn't trying to tell Daboll you need to do x,y, and z plays in x, y, and z situations. He has a general philosophy of how he want sot play and has surrounded himself with people who have a like mindset but lets those people do what they do, coordinate. 

50 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

I completely disagree. I think what New England has achieved can totally be achieved to a much lesser degree, maybe only winning two or three Super Bowls in the same time frame, as long as you have a "good" quarterback and have a coach who has a plan and sticks to it. BB is more than willing to get rid of talented players who are headcases because those guys disrupt the culture. At the end of the day, its about 22 guys, 11 on offense and 11 one defense playing as one cohesive unit that is going to lead to success than having a couple of uber talented guys who disturb the culture. Pittsburgh is a perfect example. 

• Like (+1) 1

This reminds me of some of the things I've heard about Pete Carol. The thing is though, there are so many types of winning coaches. Tony Dungy, Bill Parcells, Pederson, I think they are all type A people, but they go about it differently. By itself his being interested in self-improvement probably just means McD is an interesting guy with at least slightly above average intelligence which makes him one of maybe a billion or two people. I'm not knocking it. I just want to see wins. I don't care if he reads Dr. Seuse every day. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I could argue we have had vanilla gameplans because we didn't have the talent to have a different gameplan. 

I also think McDermott gives his coordinators a lot of rope in how they run their respective groups. McDermott isn't trying to tell Daboll you need to do x,y, and z plays in x, y, and z situations. He has a general philosophy of how he want sot play and has surrounded himself with people who have a like mindset but lets those people do what they do, coordinate. 

I do too.  It seems to me he has an overall philosophy but he is more than willing to be flexible about the smaller pieces.

I think it's a good style.

44 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

”Why Leadership Starts and Ends with Relationships with Carolina Panthers Coach Sean McDermott”

https://learnloft.com/podcast/why-leadership-starts-and-ends-with-relationships/

This podcast interview is one of the reasons why I was so excited when the Bills hired McDermott. Great listen IMO. 

Thanks for sharing, this is a great listen

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Building and fostering relationships improves productivity at work and at school.  There is lots of research to back this up.  Those who are hung up on the X's and O's need to do a little reading in this area.  All 32 of the head football coaches in the NFL understand X's and O's.  The coaches who are successful over the long haul build teams.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I know.... I expect the blind squirrel(eball) to find the nut eventually though.... I'll be happy for him.??

Aww...that almost sounds sincere!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Over the years it's been clear that players (other than QBs perhaps) shouldn't be fully evaluated until their 3rd season in the league.  This principle extends to HCs and we're entering year 3 of McD.  He and Beane have almost completely overhauled this roster out of the RR/Whaley years.  They've spent significant cap dollars on both sides of the ball.  The HC has his coordinators who are both carryovers from last season.  The QB is in year 2 and the unquestioned starter heading into the season. 

We're going to find out A LOT about McD and whether or not he's capable of taking this team into the playoffs.  Expectations are high for the roster, but higher for the HC.  It's his show now.

My expectations for this year are a little tempered since we all knew Josh would take a little longer to develop.  This will be Allen's first full season. I would be very satisfied with 8-9 wins after a 6 win season. As others have so eloquently said, "baby steps". 2020 is when we start the AFCE dominance (barring a shutdown).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

You know what's fun?  Winning

I don't hate McDermott, but the number of times I've turned off the TV at halftime over the past couple of years has been unfrigginbelievable.  Also, not really fun!

Then you missed a lot of good football

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm really confident the Bills are going to be great precisely because McDermott cares about all of this stuff.  He is perpetually about getting better at everything.   I don't think we have to worry that he's missing something.  He isn't forgetting about tight-end play, he isn't forgetting about changing offenses, he isn't forgetting about game preparation.  He isn't forgetting about anything.   That's the whole point.   

Oh, just you wait until he forgets to preserve a timeout to use in the 4th quarter.  All hell will break loose!

• Like (+1) 1