Lost in the noise - Trent Murphy is looking and “playing” better

I think you guys are putting the blame on the wrong person the Bills certainly knew of his injuries and they stilled signed him he certainly did not put a gun to their heads I thought for the injury his play wasn't that bad lets see you armchair quarter backs can still do your paper routes with a bad wheel

Just now, Bigantall said:

I think you guys are putting the blame on the wrong person the Bills certainly knew of his injuries and they stilled signed him he certainly did not put a gun to their heads I thought for the injury his play wasn't that bad lets see you armchair quarter backs can still do your paper routes with a bad wheel

Wtf are you talking about? So it's the Bills fault he has injury problems?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Trent Murphy will lead the league in sacks.

fart-in-elevator

?

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, we’ve all written him off so it’s all gravy at this point.

if he turns into a 7-12 sack guy, our defense will be all the better for it.

I like him and Shaq.

Read that.

We needed more from that position last year. If he can recover most of his pre-injury form it would really help this defense.

Last year he played like a guy coming off an acl surgery, tentative and favoring his "good" leg for power, getting tangled up with blockers, with little burst or change of direction.

This is the year to see if he has physically and mentally moved on from his injury and trust that his body can go full speed.

26 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

I believe he's scheduled for his yearly injury in week 4.  I don't think we want all the eggs in the Murphy basket.

Not to throw stones, but you do realize that he played in 48 of a possible 49 games in his first 3 seasons (including playoffs), right?

He tore an ACL and then had hamstring issues the following year.  The "he's always injured" crowd is way, way overstating things.

Look back at his college career, he started 41 consecutive games at Stanford as a So, Jr, and Sr.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

and pass a PED test. Currently, he stands as another Lemon FA signee..

The PED issue is at least as big as the injury issue .  Some players have their production fall off after stopping their use and I worry that we will see this with Murphy.  He has one failed test and 4 game suspension under his belt.  The next one would be a year, by the way.

Since his failed test in the offseason of 2017 he has torn his ACL (preseason 2017), then signed a big contract with Buffalo in 2018.  He had a pedestrian season in 2018 with three games missed due to a knee strain.  He’s not come close to earning the deal he got and It’s obvious that he will need to show well this season if he expects to see the $7.2M in new money he’s owed in 2020.

59 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I'm not willing to buy into phase 3 "he's doing great" nonsense.  Since I don't control the purse strings all I care about is whether he can help the team.

yep..i don't buy into any of this nonsense until like the 3rd preseason game...then you can start to get a sense of what they might look like

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He has to play well and often or he won't be around very long.

Signed thru 2020; his cap hit is about 9 million this year,and the DEAD cap hit  is about 6. i  hope Bills get their money's sorth. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

It is only OTA’s but Leslie Frazier has specifically said Trent Murphy is looking better than he did last year.  This could be a very positive development for the Bills as if he plays better in games it could mean additional QB pressure.  Time will tell if Frazier’s observations prove to be true on the field when it really matters.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/bills-frazier-thinks-two-often-injured-veterans-are-looking-good-otas

Same thing I will say about all the guys looking good in OTAs...Nathan Peterman is looking good in shorts too (again).  Its premature.

However, looking good now is still better than not standing out at all.  And I have been one who thinks Murphy can be pretty good, so not raining on his parade.  I think on this defense, Murphy can and will surprise some of his critics this year IF...and thats a big IF...he can stay healthy.  He has talent, but injuries keep slowing him down.  

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Same thing I will say about all the guys looking good in OTAs...Nathan Peterman is looking good in shorts too (again).  Its premature.

However, looking good now is still better than not standing out at all.  And I have been one who thinks Murphy can be pretty good, so not raining on his parade.  I think on this defense, Murphy can and will surprise some of his critics this year IF...and thats a big IF...he can stay healthy.  He has talent, but injuries keep slowing him down.  

If Murphy has a break out year...you have to get this tattoo on your left quad.

Image result for Trent Murphy

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, we’ve all written him off so it’s all gravy at this point.

if he turns into a 7-12 sack guy, our defense will be all the better for it.

Pretty much. And it's likely the FANS that have written him off, not the coaches or teammates.

If he brings good pressure on one side, Hughes on the other (with refs actually calling some of the blatant holds against him), Oliver happens to be the real deal... that could be fun LOL Yes spring brings hope eternal, but why not. Milano and Edwards would be free to roam and spread havoc, secondary would get major help. And overall, the defense should really benefit of the offense's improvements too! This season could be very fun. But not only Murphy but the whole team can be derailed by injuries...