Predictable things fans overreact to

Yoho

There is also the classic under reaction:

”It’s only preseason, they are running vanilla offense/defense, surely they won’t be this bad when the real games start.”

Low and behold the first team regular season performance looks identical to what we saw in preseason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Thanks, Andy Rooney.

“You know what bugs me?  People!

As for things people overreact to?  Whether your coaching staff wears headphones.  If they do, which members of the coaching staff wear headphones.  I suppose it isn’t as irksome as a coach pretending to write on an iPad.

• Like (+1) 1

Jason Peters

The Bills have never had a TE make the Pro Bowl in franchise history unless of course you count Jason Peters. No secret I wanted Fant in a trade down this year.

I have no issue taking a RB in the first round if that fills a need. Spiller was drafted with Fred and Marshawn already on the roster. McGahee? Why, so Donahoe can try and prove he is smarter than everyone else? Elliot was drafted after Dallas built best OL in NFL. Get your QB and build the OL and then you can plug in a RB any way you see fit.

I don’t disagree about overhype with WR. Happens almost every year.  Not sure why other than at some level to even make a training camp they must have had a highlight reel at some time. This year it is a guy from the CFL.

10 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m looking to figure out who will be the newest lightning rod of hatred.... past renditions include in no particular order;

- EJ

- Tyrod

- Whitner

- Gilmore

- Hogan 

-Whaley 

to name but a few... 

it is usually the overachievers who end up being just good enough to start or the high draft picks who some don’t feel live up to their draft ‘cost’ or free agent contract. 

As for the bolded, how could we expect fans NOT to get mad? EJ was just lousy but a case could be made that Whitner was "good." Gilmore is considered "very good" (although I don't think he was that great in Buffalo). The thing is, how many games did these 3 combined win us. How often did any of them just take over a game and lead us to victory.

Hating a player as an individual is much different than hating the second rate, losing draft strategy we had for many years. Maybe in 2019, Oliver and Ford will be productive and dominate their opponents so we can win football games.

13 hours ago, Yoho said:

Having followed the Bills for 56 years I have watched annual trends that are totally predictable.  Here is a list of annual events that you can count on

1. Fans love guys changing positions.  Make a tight end an offensive lineman, make an offensive lineman a tight end, make a wide receiver a safety and he will become a favorite.  It usually lasts a couple preseason games and then it is over but fans anxiously wait for the next George Wilson or Paul Costa.

2.  There is always a big demand for the hot new tight end out of college.  From Kyle Brady to Eric Ebron, there is a clamor for the first round pick to be a tight end.  98% of the time, it was the right decision not to take him.

3.  The pre-season wide receiver de jour.  He is usually an undrafted free agent, sometimes from a small college or the CFL.   He tears things up in the 4th quarter of pre season games and then gets cut to the utter disgust of the fans.  However he usually never gets picked up and the next thing you hear about him, he is an assistant coach at a community college

4.  There is always disgust with the drafting of a running back because as we all know they are a dime a dozen on the undrafted free agent market.  These fans seem to have missed that there are teams that have been looking for running backs for 10 years.  And Barkley and Elliot are pretty damn good.

5.  Did you ever get the feeling that the fans who call for the firing of the head coach and general manager after every loss probably wouldn't have a job if their boss took the same approach?

Please add your own thoughts

2 and 3 are right on the money.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Jason Peters

The Bills have never had a TE make the Pro Bowl in franchise history unless of course you count Jason Peters. No secret I wanted Fant in a trade down this year.

I have no issue taking a RB in the first round if that fills a need. Spiller was drafted with Fred and Marshawn already on the roster. McGahee? Why, so Donahoe can try and prove he is smarter than everyone else? Elliot was drafted after Dallas built best OL in NFL. Get your QB and build the OL and then you can plug in a RB any way you see fit.

I don’t disagree about overhype with WR. Happens almost every year.  Not sure why other than at some level to even make a training camp they must have had a highlight reel at some time. This year it is a guy from the CFL.

The thing about Jason Peters is fans can look at it with two different colored glasses? I think it’s fair to be a little disappointed they gave up a pro-bowl LT that was home grown from an UDFA TE. But one can also argue it was great work to mine a first round pick out of an UDFA. 

13 hours ago, fansince88 said:

There is always a big demand for the hot new tight end out of college

13 hours ago, fansince88 said:

I never went to college but yeah, I would imagine!

Married the first one I saw!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

The thing about Jason Peters is fans can look at it with two different colored glasses? I think it’s fair to be a little disappointed they gave up a pro-bowl LT that was home grown from an UDFA TE. But one can also argue it was great work to mine a first round pick out of an UDFA. 

I can never be resigned to the thought of trading away a Hall of Fame left tackle. Imo Jason Peters was one of the best players in Bills history and I certainly do agree that sure was a great move by the Bills to grab him from the Giants practice squad.

29 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

As for the bolded, how could we expect fans NOT to get mad? EJ was just lousy but a case could be made that Whitner was "good." Gilmore is considered "very good" (although I don't think he was that great in Buffalo). The thing is, how many games did these 3 combined win us. How often did any of them just take over a game and lead us to victory.

Hating a player as an individual is much different than hating the second rate, losing draft strategy we had for many years. Maybe in 2019, Oliver and Ford will be productive and dominate their opponents so we can win football games.

Hating anyone because of anything related to entertainment, the theatre called pro sports, is by definition an overreaction.