Predictable things fans overreact to

Yoho

Having followed the Bills for 56 years I have watched annual trends that are totally predictable.  Here is a list of annual events that you can count on

1. Fans love guys changing positions.  Make a tight end an offensive lineman, make an offensive lineman a tight end, make a wide receiver a safety and he will become a favorite.  It usually lasts a couple preseason games and then it is over but fans anxiously wait for the next George Wilson or Paul Costa.

2.  There is always a big demand for the hot new tight end out of college.  From Kyle Brady to Eric Ebron, there is a clamor for the first round pick to be a tight end.  98% of the time, it was the right decision not to take him.

3.  The pre-season wide receiver de jour.  He is usually an undrafted free agent, sometimes from a small college or the CFL.   He tears things up in the 4th quarter of pre season games and then gets cut to the utter disgust of the fans.  However he usually never gets picked up and the next thing you hear about him, he is an assistant coach at a community college

4.  There is always disgust with the drafting of a running back because as we all know they are a dime a dozen on the undrafted free agent market.  These fans seem to have missed that there are teams that have been looking for running backs for 10 years.  And Barkley and Elliot are pretty damn good.

5.  Did you ever get the feeling that the fans who call for the firing of the head coach and general manager after every loss probably wouldn't have a job if their boss took the same approach?

Please add your own thoughts

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Yoho said:

Having followed the Bills for 56 years I have watched annual trends that are totally predictable.  Here is a list of annual events that you can count on

1. Fans love guys changing positions.  Make a tight end an offensive lineman, make an offensive lineman a tight end, make a wide receiver a safety and he will become a favorite.  It usually lasts a couple preseason games and then it is over but fans anxiously wait for the next George Wilson or Paul Costa.

2.  There is always a big demand for the hot new tight end out of college.  From Kyle Brady to Eric Ebron, there is a clamor for the first round pick to be a tight end.  98% of the time, it was the right decision not to take him.

3.  The pre-season wide receiver de jour.  He is usually an undrafted free agent, sometimes from a small college or the CFL.   He tears things up in the 4th quarter of pre season games and then gets cut to the utter disgust of the fans.  However he usually never gets picked up and the next thing you hear about him, he is an assistant coach at a community college

4.  There is always disgust with the drafting of a running back because as we all know they are a dime a dozen on the undrafted free agent market.  These fans seem to have missed that there are teams that have been looking for running backs for 10 years.  And Barkley and Elliot are pretty damn good.

5.  Did you ever get the feeling that the fans who call for the firing of the head coach and general manager after every loss probably wouldn't have a job if their boss took the same approach?

Please add your own thoughts

I never went to college but yeah, I would imagine!

• Haha (+1) 5

6. The fan favorite WR who tears up preseason but gets cut will never make it through waivers to be able to be signed to the PS because he’s so awesome that clearly another team will make a spot on the 53. He’s positively definitely going to the Pats and destined for multiple pro bowls. Bills are morons for letting him get away.

Days later, he’s sitting on the Bills PS - or his couch - after miraculously passing through waivers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

-Preseason games in general.
-Freaking out when the Patriots signing up ex Bills marginal players who showed promise or had previous success (Gilislee, Hogan, J. Matthews, Donald Jones, Gronk's brother, I'm sure there's more).

-Post draft grades from national media.

• Like (+1) 1

Fans overreact to players with eye popping measurables even when those players haven’t been successful.  They also blow perceptions about being a hard worker, smart or a good leader way out of proportion.  Often the very existence of those qualities is straight up manufactured.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

6. The fan favorite WR who tears up preseason but gets cut will never make it through waivers to be able to be signed to the PS because he’s so awesome that clearly another team will make a spot on the 53. He’s positively definitely going to the Pats and destined for multiple pro bowls. Bills are morons for letting him get away.

Days later, he’s sitting on the Bills PS - or his couch - after miraculously passing through waivers.

I'm telling you, Da'rick would have carried us to the superbowl 

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Also any perceived slight by the media. 

This is really getting out of control. A guy can say I hope I'm wrong because I like Bills fans and then say something critical. The aptly named Bills Mafia (which is a stupid name) will harass them. It's embarrassing.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

22 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm telling you, Da'rick would have carried us to the superbowl 

This is really getting out of control. A guy can say I hope I'm wrong because I like Bills fans and then say something critical. The aptly named Bills Mafia (which is a stupid name) will harass them. It's embarrassing.

I live in Atlanta, go to the game in Miami every etc..  I don’t know why certain Bills fans whine about Bills Mafia all the time... Bills Mafia is synonymous with Buffalo and is respected af outside of this board apparently.  I see it all over the southeast, where football is king - anytime I tell someone I’m a Bills fan, they respond with how much they love Bills Mafia. 

Now, harassing people on Twitter, that’s stupid no matter what.  No arguments there.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I live in Atlanta, go to the game in Miami every etc..  I don’t know why certain Bills fans whine about Bills Mafia all the time... Bills Mafia is synonymous with Buffalo and is respected af outside of this board apparently.  I see it all over the southeast, where football is king - anytime I tell someone I’m a Bills fan, they respond with how much they love Bills Mafia. 

Now, harassing people on Twitter, that’s stupid no matter what.  No arguments there.  

100% agree.

It now is Bills Fans name whether you like it or not.

What some fail to understand is it is both the good and the bad behaving Bills fans all grouped together now.

Embrace it. You can still be whichever type of fan you choose.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m looking to figure out who will be the newest lightning rod of hatred.... past renditions include in no particular order;

- EJ

- Tyrod

- Whitner

- Gilmore

- Hogan 

-Whaley 

to name but a few... 

it is usually the overachievers who end up being just good enough to start or the high draft picks who some don’t feel live up to their draft ‘cost’ or free agent contract. 

Who will we see added to the list? 

Who will go from a having a mere handful of haters to drawing the anger of a full blown mob with pitchforks and stones ?

how long do Ford and Oliver have to move to unquestioned starter before they are hated busts?

if Zay has a drop in preseason but still makes it, who is so done with this team?

• Like (+1) 2

Kelvin Benjamin’s decision not to catch warm up throws from Allen pregame. 

...Nope, still don’t think my visceral disbelief to that episode was an overreaction, or that of many others here at the time...:wallbash::P

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1