NFLPA Email sent to players advising to prepare for work stoppage of at least 1 year

I'll paraphrase the analogy I heard on Golic/Wingo this morning:  I can look at the forecast and see that it says there's no chance of rain, but it doesn't hurt to throw an umbrella in the car, just in case.

The fact that they're already talking so far in advance is a great sign.  I'd be shocked if any games are missed.

17 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Just a shot across the bow during negotiations.

The players should get ready to totally turtle once again, cave quickly gentlemen....

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

See that? If I was the nfl I’d send a letter to every football player on the planet to advise they start preparing for a shot to play in the NFL in 2020. Might be a higher than normal level of opportunity for those wanting to play. 

This is why McMahon is forming the XFL again.   The NFL is shadow backer of that league as a source of ready scabs.

Smith is giving good advice...he doesn't know how it will play out, but, his members should be prepared.   Competent communication from a union head imho.  My views personally run on the management side of this argument, as the product has been diluted somewhat by the CBA....as teams are not as ready as they used to be with the practice restrictions.  If there is a stike, I will not attend games that year, or the year after.  Same thing I did after the strike in the Kelly era.  (I bought a St Bernard with the ticket money I saved)  And, the first few games "back" after the strike were a horror...with the teams clearly not ready to play....but, the show must go on so the players and TV can be paid/  management also.  The fan is cheated however, not only on lost games, but on shoddy product that comes after the strike.  Now, if they take a month to get ready after settling, maybe decent play could be expected.  Anyhow, whatever happens, my plans are in place.

15 hours ago, dneveu said:

I mean - what are the things they would want?  It feels like they barely practice as it is currently, so i'm not sure how much they can scale that back.

More retirement benefits?

Better insurance for life after football? 

Better salary minimums?

The cap is structured around the revenue splits - they have a salary floor (barely) so teams can't tank salaries for a year.  

The only thing i can think is the franchise tag - but the owners like the tag.  Getting rid of that you have to give something back like UFA status after 4 years for example.  2nd/3rd rounders would then be RFAs for a year or something, or you would expand 5th year options to those players as well.  

i dont think Franchise tags or discipline will become a stumbling block to deal..justy does not affect that many people..and only the dudes making big money anyway of the tag stuff. Rank and file will trade tag for like you said..faster window to FA , no more 5th-year option, etc.

and for those who keep saying the players will want a part of gambling..not quite sure what you mean. Books sponsorships etc will go into revenue, as does TV etc. Just part of overall revenue.

There will be no other incremental revenue for gambling that I can see...someone educate me here? I mean these leagues can say they want a 1% integrity fee or whatever, but no a snowballs chance in the hell the books are giving them one cent.

30 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Smith is giving good advice...he doesn't know how it will play out, but, his members should be prepared.   Competent communication from a union head imho.  My views personally run on the management side of this argument, as the product has been diluted somewhat by the CBA....as teams are not as ready as they used to be with the practice restrictions.  If there is a stike, I will not attend games that year, or the year after.  Same thing I did after the strike in the Kelly era.  (I bought a St Bernard with the ticket money I saved)  And, the first few games "back" after the strike were a horror...with the teams clearly not ready to play....but, the show must go on so the players and TV can be paid/  management also.  The fan is cheated however, not only on lost games, but on shoddy product that comes after the strike.  Now, if they take a month to get ready after settling, maybe decent play could be expected.  Anyhow, whatever happens, my plans are in place.

the NFLPA is on such thin ice, the least power of any pro sports union, (MLB is the strongest easily)

it's the only sport that is paycheck to paycheck with literally anyone sent packing any given week

13 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

It is the opening shot in the negotations.  Two critical factors:

1.  NFL careers are too short to miss a year.  A large percentage who are not stars will never recover.

2.  Too much money on the table for both sides.  A deal is in the best interest of both sides.

see if the courts allow a TV deal to be deferred revenue for the owners this time...

30 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Every union (with the right to strike) advises its members to be financially prepared in case of a work stoppage at contract time.

there's also a kind of warning when drastic disappointment is coming round the mountain

12 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

They’ll miss a week or so of camp. Maybe even into early pre-season and then report.

been hearing how Fatcat Athlete Armageddon will descend imminently since around 1972... soon seats will be $1 and athletes will have to drive a milk cart with a horse during the offseasons....  :D

the best was when CBS tried to lowball the NFL and Fox swooped in with an epic offer and CBS was out in the cold BAM!!!!!!!!!!

21 hours ago, dneveu said:

I mean - what are the things they would want?  It feels like they barely practice as it is currently, so i'm not sure how much they can scale that back.

More retirement benefits?

Better insurance for life after football? 

Better salary minimums?

The cap is structured around the revenue splits - they have a salary floor (barely) so teams can't tank salaries for a year.  

The only thing i can think is the franchise tag - but the owners like the tag.  Getting rid of that you have to give something back like UFA status after 4 years for example.  2nd/3rd rounders would then be RFAs for a year or something, or you would expand 5th year options to those players as well.  

Saw a story the other day about Mark Gasteneau was starting a Go Fund Me page as he needed money for some major medical issue he had.  Forgot most of the details, but one thing it did state is that players only get paid medical insurance for 5 years after they retire.  That surprised me that wasn't for life, particularly when you consider the profession they are in.  Would have thought they'd at least get a highly subsidized policy for much longer.

The other big thing that will be talked about is clipping Rogers wings when it comes to power, but also read that the majority of the players, the ones who don't get in trouble could care less about that.  I can see alot of screaming a yelling about less power for Roger, then the league says how 2% extra in the 401K instead and the players all then say OK great, we're fine.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Saw a story the other day about Mark Gasteneau was starting a Go Fund Me page as he needed money for some major medical issue he had.  Forgot most of the details, but one thing it did state is that players only get paid medical insurance for 5 years after they retire.  That surprised me that wasn't for life, particularly when you consider the profession they are in.  Would have thought they'd at least get a highly subsidized policy for much longer.

There are so many ex-players I cannot see that happening with players shopping between doctors to get the most benefits.  Which players would be entitled to insurance for life?  Every player who was ever in a OTA? In training camp? Played in a preseason game?  On practice squad? Made 53 man roster? Was on active roster? Actually played in game? Was on team X number of games or X number of seasons?  Are their copayments and deductibles? Does it apply retroactively?   Is it income/asset based?  There are a lot of questions involved.

It is silly to think the NFLPA can withstand any lengthy work-stoppage.

The NFLPA base is too big, earning windows are too small.  You have a lot of guys who like to collect all sorts of expensive cars and such and, frankly, aren't great at future financial planning.  They prefer to maintain their lifestyle unimpeded.  Do we believe Marcel Dareus gives any care about what the rookie wage scale will be in 2025?  Maybe well off guys like Brady, Brees, Gore, etc would be willing to take one for the future.... but I also have doubts those guys may essentially be willingly ending their careers by waiting out a long work stoppage.

On the other side, you have 32 multi-billionaires who have revenue and interest pouring in from other ventures (and their Franchise values appreciate by the month)... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/28/2019 at 6:55 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

i do not think that most of the players fight to hard on the rookie salary slots- the slots only hurt a handful of players each year and most guys probably resent a rookie who would be guaranteed 80 million without any production especially in a salary cap league. i would think they would fight hard for a bigger piece of pie overall and to limit Goddells power. 

The rookie salary slots are kind of a mixed bag. While veterans don't want to see the types of deals Sam Bradford got before he ever played a down in the NFL, the rookie salary structure also leads to more high priced veterans being let go each year because the rookies are much, much cheaper. 

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

On the other side, you have 32 multi-billionaires who have revenue and interest pouring in from other ventures (and their Franchise values appreciate by the month)... 

Not all owners are in that boat.  In a long work stoppage I imagine Raiders will have financial issues.