NFLPA Email sent to players advising to prepare for work stoppage of at least 1 year

A one year work stoppage in the NFL (and I don't believe it will come to that) will have the same effect on me that the multiple MLB strikes and the NHL strike had on me - the NFL will then be dead to me.  Couldn't tell you the last time I watched an NHL or MLB game.  I stopped watching the NBA when the Braves left Buffalo.  I'm basically down to following the NFL, college football and basketball and golf...

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Because that's what has always happened.  Smith, who I don't particularly like, is looking out for his constituents (and his own future with the NFLPA).

@Gugny (aka Crusty) says that the crust is the best part of the bread.

NO!NO!NO!!! It is the Pizza!

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

i do not think that most of the players fight to hard on the rookie salary slots- the slots only hurt a handful of players each year and most guys probably resent a rookie who would be guaranteed 80 million without any production especially in a salary cap league. i would think they would fight hard for a bigger piece of pie overall and to limit Goddells power. 

It's not the players. It's the NFLPA. Big difference. And the elite few dominate every aspect of life, not the majority. Sports is no different.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Umm... they want a bigger piece of the pie. It's all about money. Obviously. I'm assuming they also want to do away with the rookie wage scale, franchise tag, fifth year option on rookie deals, and anything else that limits a player's potential earnings. They probably also want to take away the commissioner's monopoly on player discipline.

NFL players actually get a smaller percentage of revenue than players in many pro sports leagues.

I personally don't care one bit about all that stuff, as long as they line up and play on Sundays. I have no dog in the fight.

The players were all for the rookie wage scale the last CBA.  They won't change that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The players were all for the rookie wage scale the last CBA.  They won't change that.

i am not questioning your accuracy but how do you know who was arguing which way on that? was it public knowledge at the time? 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

i am not questioning your accuracy but how do you know who was arguing which way on that? was it public knowledge at the time? 

It is good for the guys who actually get to vote. Too much money into rookies was bad for owners and vets.  It took away from the amount of the pie the voting vets could receive, and who knew if the rookie could even play?  

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Meh, normal negotiating tactic.  Too much money involved for a work stoppage.

BUT.....if push comes to shove, the billionaires (with the multiple decade point of view) will always win over the millionaires (with the 3.5 year average career). 

Let us pray it does not come to that. 

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It was part of the last CBA.  Veterans didn’t like first rounders sucking up that much of the cap. They agreed to it as a group.

It is the opening shot in the negotations.  Two critical factors:

1.  NFL careers are too short to miss a year.  A large percentage who are not stars will never recover.

2.  Too much money on the table for both sides.  A deal is in the best interest of both sides.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It is good for the guys who actually get to vote. Too much money into rookies was bad for owners and vets.  It took away from the amount of the pie the voting vets could receive, and who knew if the rookie could even play?  

I am so happy that I said something like that without having the knowledge of what happened last time-I am so smrt.?

Yep, pretty much par for the course. Many good points raised in this thread but the bottom line is still the same : too much money to be made ( or lost) for a work stoppage in a sport with notoriously short career spans. The main issues on the players side are a bigger slice of the overall revenue, player “ safety” i.e minimal practice time and perhaps an adjustment to the preseason length, marijuana testing and Goodell ‘s power / control over discipline. As we’ve seen before, a work stoppage or lockout may happen, but it will end before any real games are played. The players will get a compromise and miss training camps which they mostly like anyway. Even a shortened season would be stunning. Revenues are too huge for either party to pass up. 

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm sure it's just a case of the union wanting to get the word out to the owners, the players are ready to sit out for an entire year so watch out, we mean business.  We're not caving!!

The problem for the players though is it's not just sitting out and losing a years salary.  I'd estimate every year maybe at least  200 new players take the place of vets (say an average of 5 draft picks + 1 FA X 32 teams makes the team) so for those 200, not only are they sitting out a year, but some will never again see a check signed by Roger.  You'll have another entire rookie class coming in.  Take a guy like Lonzo if it were this coming year, would he want to lose his last potential pay check.  It's hard to strike in a career business that lasts an average of three years!

As for the owners, other than the desire to win the Super Bowl, they're probably just looking at all the money they will save in salaries.  Where the issue really comes in is all the people working in tickets sales, assistant to the assistant equipment mangers admin, will they then lose their jobs.  They could strike until Tom Brady's son is ready to enter the NFL and still be filthy rich.

I find this notion revolting 

16 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Just got the alert on my phone

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1778690/nflpa-exec-advising-players-to-plan-for-work-stoppage-of-at-least-1-year

Hope it doesn't come to this

See that? If I was the nfl I’d send a letter to every football player on the planet to advise they start preparing for a shot to play in the NFL in 2020. Might be a higher than normal level of opportunity for those wanting to play. 

The Sky is Falling! It’s 1983 all over again! Back to back playoff seasons. Fergy, Cribbs, Butler, F. Lewis, the Bermuda Triangle, Ground Chuck! Shoulda beat Cincinnati to play in the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP. Then what? Strike! New League, Cribbs leaves! Knox quits! 2-14’s ensue.

I’m heading straight to the Grand Island bridge! I’m not going through this again!

DOOMED!

• Haha (+1) 1

If it gets to a point where games are missed, Mark Cuban will be viewed as a profit.  I was younger, but I'm not sure baseball ever fully recovered organically from the stoppage in 94.  They did their best to inject life into the sport while looking the other way with PEDs and doctored balls, but nothing that's been sustainable long term.  I don't think the NBA is a great product anymore, either.  Was it 98-99 that was the shortened season?  The way the league is structured and the star player control, it has rendered 2/3s of the teams in purgatory year after year.  I think the international growth has bailed that league out.  The NFL will always have the eye of the betting public, but we have so many more options with our time and money.  I find myself getting a slightly more apathetic to the league as me and young kids are getting older.  Between the horrendous officiating, rule changes that favor scoring/fantasy football and overall general dislike of people like the commissioner, the sport dies with me a little each passing year.