NFLPA Email sent to players advising to prepare for work stoppage of at least 1 year

5 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Just got the alert on my phone

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1778690/nflpa-exec-advising-players-to-plan-for-work-stoppage-of-at-least-1-year

Hope it doesn't come to this

Just when the Bills are starting to show what looks like long term competitiveness....guess the Bills just have to win the next two Lombardi's in a row.....

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Just when the Bills are starting to show what looks like long term competitiveness....guess the Bills just have to win the next two Lombardi's in a row.....

This also allows Mr Brady to take a year off and possibly show up again....

Oh, Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick.  This is just DeMaurice covering his @ss and advising agents to, you know, do their jobs and actually provide some financial advice to their 20-something year old CLs who have never seen money like this before.

It would be irresponsible not to tell players there is a "possible" work stoppage since the CBA ends after the 2020 season, but by no means do I read this letter to suggest Smith thinks there will be a stoppage.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1

The earliest any type of strike could happen would be 2021.   

Can the NFL still field replacement players these days?     I have found memories of the strike during 1987 season .    There were even entertaining nicknames like  LA Lambs,  Counterfeit Bills, , Rhinestone Cowboys,  Chicago Spare Bears, Seattle Sea-Scabs,  New Orleans Saint Elsewhere?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Definitely worrisome to see this from the leader of the worker side essentially saying "we're going big and I don't want anyone caving early cause they're out of money."

Yeah, they are already going in with the mindset that they will have to have a work stoppage to try and get what they want.

Wonder if the owners are in the same place?

22 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Definitely worrisome to see this from the leader of the worker side essentially saying "we're going big and I don't want anyone caving early cause they're out of money."

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Just a shot across the bow during negotiations.

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah, they are already going in with the mindset that they will have to have a work stoppage to try and get what they want.

Wonder if the owners are in the same place?

I'm sure it's just a case of the union wanting to get the word out to the owners, the players are ready to sit out for an entire year so watch out, we mean business.  We're not caving!!

The problem for the players though is it's not just sitting out and losing a years salary.  I'd estimate every year maybe at least  200 new players take the place of vets (say an average of 5 draft picks + 1 FA X 32 teams makes the team) so for those 200, not only are they sitting out a year, but some will never again see a check signed by Roger.  You'll have another entire rookie class coming in.  Take a guy like Lonzo if it were this coming year, would he want to lose his last potential pay check.  It's hard to strike in a career business that lasts an average of three years!

As for the owners, other than the desire to win the Super Bowl, they're probably just looking at all the money they will save in salaries.  Where the issue really comes in is all the people working in tickets sales, assistant to the assistant equipment mangers admin, will they then lose their jobs.  They could strike until Tom Brady's son is ready to enter the NFL and still be filthy rich.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, eball said:

Oh, Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick.  This is just DeMaurice covering his @ss and advising agents to, you know, do their jobs and actually provide some financial advice to their 20-something year old CLs who have never seen money like this before.

It would be irresponsible not to tell players there is a "possible" work stoppage since the CBA ends after the 2020 season, but by no means do I read this letter to suggest Smith thinks there will be a stoppage.

...he is just protecting his brethren....cash is tight......even questionable as to whether the NFL does provide a "decent living wage scale".....in the immortal words of Latrell Spreewell, "I got a family to feed"......

Demaurice Smith is a poor union head. Last time he tried to negotiate in bad faith by not negotiating on a host of issues then sue the league which he then lost lawsuit after lawsuit on those issues. Players won't prepare..again...and he'll have his arse handed to him in negotiations...again..because he's short sighted.

This is another bad idea because it tells the owners (who don't rely on league profits in  most cases) just how long you can survive if it gets to that point..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Agreed. This is nothing more than posturing. The letter is written to the players, but the message is aimed at the owners.

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Demaurice Smith is a poor union head. Last time he tried to negotiate in bad faith by not negotiating on a host of issues then sue the league which he then lost lawsuit after lawsuit on those issues. Players won't prepare..again...and he'll have his arse handed to him in negotiations...again..because he's short sighted.

This is another bad idea because it tells the owners (who don't rely on league profits in  most cases) just how long you can survive if it gets to that point..

.....empty suit has certainly milked his gig.......

This is SOP for any responsible labor union.  It has nothing to do with sending a message to the owners about being difficult during negotiations.  With the salary cap growing each year, the players and owners are making a ton of money.  With this much money available and players careers having a limited shelf life, I doubt that a strike or lockout is in the cards.  In addition, there are new tv  and internet streaming contracts to be negotiated soon which will bring more revenue to the league.