MMQB AFC East Offseason reports: Dolphins, Jets Preparing to Lose

48 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I do think the Jets games aren’t gonna be easy.  Darnold is legit imo.  I mean he won here already end of last season 

Jets have definitely upgraded the middle of their defense, so we will need to attack them along the sidelines to move the ball.  Week 1 will have a major impact on the playoff chances for both teams, because there is realistically only room for one of these teams in the playoffs.

29 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't think so either.  i'm wondering if recent gase info is giving people this feeling, because roster wise i don't think they're that bad.

The Jets have talent on their roster but the front office is a mess and I absolutely believe Gase is trash as a HC.  He is certainly no leader of men.  I think the first game of the season will be much more difficult for the Bills than the last, as by then I think the Jets will be in full revolt mode.

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

So according to this, Bills fans should be like...2nd place on lockdown :P

What a Patriot suck-up piece, saying they have no holes. Lot's of NFL teams have 42 year old QB, 31 year old FA WR and 38 year old TE's who get suspended for 4 games. I don't see a hole. Do you?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

The Jets have talent on their roster but the front office is a mess and I absolutely believe Gase is trash as a HC.  He is certainly no leader of men.  I think the first game of the season will be much more difficult for the Bills than the last, as by then I think the Jets will be in full revolt mode.

that's what i'm guessing at this point as well.  i just don't know what the jets were thinking with gase.  I've never been a huge fan of his, but these last few months have been a train wreck.  winning cures all, but if he doesn't get his team to have some faith in him soon, i agree that the revolt is on.

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I do think the Jets games aren’t gonna be easy.  Darnold is legit imo.  I mean he won here already end of last season 

I agree. I think Darnold, Allen and Mayfield all have break-out sophomore seasons next year. More so Darnold and Allen since Mayfield was already pretty good last year. 

I think the sports media is still thinking of Charles Clay as the promising all around tight end he was thought to be when he was signed away from Miami.  His chronic injury issues have rendered him more of a journeyman type player at best.  The level of play the Bills bot from him the last couple of years can't be terribly difficult to replace.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I think the sports media is still thinking of Charles Clay as the promising all around tight end he was thought to be when he was signed away from Miami.  His chronic injury issues have rendered him more of a journeyman type player at best.  The level of play the Bills bot from him the last couple of years can't be terribly difficult to replace.

...OBD got woefully snookered by Fins expecting them to match and infringing on their cap space......backfired especially with his nagging health issues.....

Believe it or not the Dolphins are listed as the worst bet in Vegas to make the super bowl at +27500. The Bills are 27th at +10000 and the Jets are 21st at +7500. Naturally the Patriots are 1st at +600. 

All the defenses in the AFC East besides NE look to be improved. In Miami led by a defensive minded HC from the Patriots LBers coach Brian Flores, Their first round pick was DT Christian Wilkins. Their biggest addition is probably their new OC Ex-Lions HC, Ex- Colts HC Jim Caldwell as OC, who is someone knows how to build an offense.  However, they did get Danny Crossman as their ST coach. 

The Jets added Adam Gase as HC, but the real addition might be ex Buffalo Bills HC as their new DC in Gregg Williams who knows how to build a defense. The Jests added DT Quinnen Williams as the #3 overall pick in the draft. Plus ex Ravens LBer CJ Mosley, and Steeler RB Le'Veon Bell.

Personally, I think those odds are all wrong as the Miami offense should get much better with Caldwell as OC, Flores helping with the defense I can see 8-8. The Jets defense should be much improved with Williams as DC and could easily see 8-8 or better. 

The changing of the guard for the AFC East might finally be here this year and is going to move the NE Patriots off the top of the division!  I don't think they will have the cakewalk through the division like they have had for nearly two decades.

I can see Buffalo getting to 10-6 as they already had a top five defense which was the #1 pass defense last season. The offense should be much improved with a better O line, better receivers, some good RB additions. There might be some questions with the TE position and perhaps Dawson Knox or Jason Croom might fill that hole. Cole Beasley should be the Bills leading receiver this year from the slot so the Bills might not need that elite TE. 

6 hours ago, rsorrent said:

Hole left by Charles Clay. Seriously? 

Yes Josh Allen threw him the football and it went through a wall when Clay failed to catch it.?

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...OBD got woefully snookered by Fins expecting them to match and infringing on their cap space......backfired especially with his nagging health issues.....

No it backfire because we had a short RB at QB.

The Jets, IMO, are one step ahead of the Bills in that they have a QB who is closer to hitting his mark than Josh Allen.  Having said that, the Jets have a new coach and GM, who happen to be the same person, so in that aspect the Bills are clearly a head.  This battle for 2nd between the Bills and Jets is going to be fun to watch.  If i had to pick a team right now, I'd go with the Jets but not by a lot.  I expect Allen Vs Darnold to be the new Kelly Vs. Marino

GO BILLS! 

I think Clay's first couple seasons here are underrated by fans. He was a really good player. Put another way, he WAS a really good player. If you expect the national media to know the inner goings on in Buffalo, you'll be sadly disappointed.

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Believe it or not the Dolphins are listed as the worst bet in Vegas to make the super bowl at +27500. 

I believe it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

i don't think so either.  i'm wondering if recent gase info is giving people this feeling, because roster wise i don't think they're that bad.

Trying to put homerism aside, the Jets seem a lot like the Bills but with a worse OL and Secondary.  Two positional units that could be strengths for us. (Secondary should.. OL could). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think Clay's first couple seasons here are underrated by fans. He was a really good player. Put another way, he WAS a really good player. If you expect the national media to know the inner goings on in Buffalo, you'll be sadly disappointed.

The dude literally couldn’t practice half the time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, rsorrent said:

Yup.

He's gone because of his salary. Not because he wasn't the best TE on the roster. If he were here he still would be. Hopefully some of the younger guys will quickly become better than he was. Hasn't happened yet, though.

15 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

Jets have definitely upgraded the middle of their defense, so we will need to attack them along the sidelines to move the ball.  Week 1 will have a major impact on the playoff chances for both teams, because there is realistically only room for one of these teams in the playoffs.

Yeah.  Hope it’s not a repeat of the 2012 opener.

Their front office is a mess but the team itself is nothing to sneeze at

• Like (+1) 1

Before the Jets fired Maccagnan all I read was were stories about how great New York was, how terrifically they mastered the offseason, that Sam Darnold was set for a powerhouse year... Now the media can't jump off that bandwagon quick enough. They're breaking ankles, lol.

10 hours ago, fansince88 said:

I just cant understand how the NFL talking heads can keep calling Charles Clay a great player. He wasn't all the years he was here!

He certainly seemed to have a reputation that I’m not sure how he got and he never seemed to live up to, save that one play in that one Miami game where he looked like shady McCoy in the open feild. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, rsorrent said:

Yes, and the Bills are also trying to fill the holes left by Nate Peterman, Kelvin Benjamin and Vlad Ducasse.  No wonder Vegas picks them to win only 6 games.

• Haha (+1) 1